Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Download this Issue


Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

This collection, digitized in collaboration with the Michigan Daily and the Board for Student Publications, contains materials that are protected by copyright law. Access to these materials is provided for non-profit educational and research purposes. If you use an item from this collection, it is your responsibility to consider the work's copyright status and obtain any required permission.

August 10, 1940 - Image 21

Resource type:
Michigan Daily, 1940-08-10

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.





Operatic And Concert Stars
To Converge On Ann Arbor
For horal Union Concert

Varied History Is Culminated
In Transfer Of Music School

Present Program In Engineering
Is Based On Venerable Traditions

(Continued from Page 19)

Famed Chorus To Appear

season in America, totaling more
than 1,000 concerts.
Hill Auditorium will become the
focal point of an international broad-
cast on Sunday afternoon, Nov. 24
when the oldest American symphony
orchestra, the New York Philhar-
monic under its youngest conductor,
John Barbirolli, returns once again
to Ann Arbor.
Now in its ninety-ninth year, the
Philharmonic was for 20 years the
only symphony in America, when it
laid the foundation for the develop-
ment of 'musical taste in New York.
Singer and operatic star Richard
Bonelli will return to the stage of
Hill Auditorium Dec. 3 for the first
time since the 1939 May Festival
Bonelli Is Artist
Featured artist with the Metropoli-
tan'Opera Company, Mr. Bonelli has
also appeared as guest artist with
the San Francisco and Cleveland
Opera Companies.
A yearly feature of the Choral
Union Series, the Boston Symphony
Orchestra returns Dec. 11 under the
baton of Serge Koussevitzky, its con-
ductor for the past 13 years. Well-
known to music lovers in Ann Arbor,
the Boston Symphony is now enter-
ing its sixtieth season.
Vladimir Horowitz, famed Russo-
American pianist, comes to the stage
of Hill Auditorium Jan. 15 after five
years touring the capitols of Europe.
Born in Kieff, Russia, in 1904, Mr.
Horowitz began his concert career in
Continental Europe in 1925. He made
his American debut in 1928 with the
New York Philharmonic.
Outstanding, Symphony
The outstanding symphony of the1
middle-west, the Minneapolis Sym-
phony Orchestra is the third and
final orchestra to perform in the
Choral Union series here Jan. 28. The
Minneapofis comes here under the
baton of its conductor, Dimitri Mi-
The Budapest String Quartet will
bring its repertoire of ensemble music
here Feb. 20. Versatile in their choice
of numbers, the quartet has given
nearly 1,000 concerts, including cities
from Norway to the Canary Islands
and eight circuits of the United
Georges Enesco, well-known con-
cert violinist, will conclude the sixty-
second Choral Union series on March
4 in Hill Auditorium.
Speech Series
Will Feature
Noted Figures
(Continued from Page 19)
the habits of birds, insects, and fish.
A few years ago, feeling that the last
great unexplored portion of the
earth's surface was the ocean areas,
he transferred his sphere of actvity
to the ocean depths. On Feb. 26, he
will present a lecture on these un-
derwater explorations entitled "500
Fathoms Down."
The last lecture in the series will
be given by Admiral Yarnell, late
in command of the Pacific fleet, who
will' speak on "The Far East" on Mar.
11. Admiral Yarnell is recognized as
the nation's most outsanding author-
ity on the difficult and dangerous
Far East situation. As commander of
the fleet he was given a free hand
by the State Department t make
and carry out America's diplomatic
policy in the Far East and was
awarded the Distinguished Service
Medal for his work.

A long and varied history of private
and public ownership culminated last
week in the reorganization of the
School of Music as an integral divi-
sion of the University.
Privately organized in 1879 as the
Ann Arbor School of Music by Cal-
vin B. Cady, the predecessor of thei
present school had only vague con-
nections with the University. Mr.
Cady at that time also held a posi-
tion as instructor of music in the
newly-organized departmentof music
of the literary college.
Upon the resignation of Director
Cady in 1888, Albert A. Stanley took
over the directorship of the music
school and instructorship in the mu-
sic depatrment.
In 1891 the University Musical
Society first entered the picture and
effected a complete reogranization
of the school under the direction of
the society. The faculty of the school
was enlarged, and new quarters in
Newberry Hall were acquired for
studio work.
Under its new title as the Univer-

sity School of Music, the school was
opened for instruction in 1892 with
a staff of seven instructors. Courses
were offered in piano, voice, violin,
viloncello, flute and brass instru-
First quarters designed especially
for the music school were located in
one section of the present building on
Maynard Street. The new location
was first used in the fall of 1893, and
the first class of nine members was
graduated in 1896.
In 1905 students enrolled in the
College of Literature, Science and
the Arts were first permitted to elect
applied music courses in the School
of Music for credit towards the Arts
degree, and these elections were
limited to two hours per semester.
Courses in the history and theory
of music offered in the literary col-
lege were, however, open to music
school students only on a non-credit
basis. In 1925 these courses were
duplicated in the School of Music,
and an expanded program leading
(Continued on Page 23)

(Continued from Page 20)
Dean Cooley continued to serve the
University as professor of naval arch-"
itecture and marine engineering. Up-
on Dean Cooley's full retirement last'
October, the Board of Regents con-'
ferred upon him the titles of dean
emeritus of the College of Engineer-'
ing and professor emeritus of the
department of naval architecture
and marine engineering.
Successor to Dean Sadler upon his
retirement in 1937 was Professor Hen-
ry C. Anderson, who at that time
held a postion as chairman of the
department of mechanical engineer-
ing. Widely known for his work in
both academic and industrial phases
of engineering, Dean Anderson con-
tinued as head of the college until
his death Oct. 14, 1939. He suc-
cumbed to a heart attack while listen-
ing to a broadcast of the Michigan-
Iowa football game.
During the early days of the Uni-
versity, work in engineering was cen-


tered in what is now the old south
wing of University Hall. When
cramping in these inadequate quar-
ters became acute, the first section
of the engineering laboratories was
built in 1881 at the insistence of Dr.
Frieze, then acting president. At
short intervals further additions were
made, and in 1900 the building now
known as the Engineering Shops
was completed.

The rapidly expanding engineer-
ing school, however, soon outgrew its
new quarters. Temporary quarters
were found in a residence building on
the site of the present William L.
Clements Library of American His-
tory, and in 1902 the construction of
the present West Engineering Build-
ing was authorized, later supple-
mented by the East Engineering


Band Consists
Of 200 Players
Under Revelli
Literary School Students
May Elect Membership
As An Accredited Course
Composed of three units, the Uni-
versity bands include the University
Marching Band, the University First
Regimental Band and the University
Concert Band, with ,an expected I
combined membership for the com-
ing year of over 200 players.
Major change in the personnel of
the Marching Band will be the re-
placement of Major Ferris, former
director of the band drill by Lieut.
Col. Robert N. Kunz, recently trans-
ferred to Michigan.
Revelli Conducts
The University bands are conduct-
ed by Prof. William D. Revelli of the
School of Music. Membership in any
of the bands is determined by private
audition with Professor Revelli and
his assitants. Auditions will take
place during orientation week from
9 a.m. to 12 noon and from 1 to 5
p.m. every day on the second floor of
Morris Hall, corner of State and
Jefferson streets.
For the second time this year, band
may be elected as a credit course by
students in the College of Literature,
Science and the Arts. Students in
the School of Music may elect band
for credit also.
Marching Band
The University Marching Band is
a combination of the Concert and
First Regimental Bands and has a
membership of 128. It is'most active
in the fall during the football season
and plays for all the home games, of
which there are four. The Marching
Band accompanies the football team
on at least one out-of-town trip,
which will be taken to either Harvard
or Minnesota this year.
One of the most interesting fea-
tures of the work in the Marching
Band is that of the formations com-
mittee. Any bandsman who is-inter-
ested or who has an idea for a par-
ticular, arrangement is automatically
a member of the committee which
meets weekly during the football sea-
son to consider and discuss the for-
mations to be used.

\ ma


\\ .°




No h v


\et voe r
4h aOb' S 4 .iel


Sel lI1 e


. . te
_o®r®r e.

k 601

- ro _. i ° e am Re

x,996 ' 'M-
°r gateoQ

ear wv

9 f

r- -

eos ~es cd




-A 40

hIe doh1rVo


, _-

,ae aY0 ic: o mak ml a't , t

a 6et~6"W-
N( se*"too-


X11 ° te 1°" "
10,10dres + o e 0 a~ I

o, ,®, in9

ok trG
s coo aid



pe ,eejto



ioyG ¢94v95
a I e

p4o Pr
'~~1 S~




Back to Top

© 2021 Regents of the University of Michigan