TUESDAT, SEPTEMBER 26, 1956
THE MICHITGAN DAILY
BUSINESS BIG-AS USUAL: D;. DIVERSIFIED DISPLAY:
Hospital Treats Quarter Million Yearly 1.4\wArt Exhibit To Feature
.. . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . .................................................o
By RON WATTS
Treating patients at the pace of
a quarter of a million per year
has been "business as usual" for
the University Hospital.
It's not hard to understand why
this medical center has become a
hub for so many people. The long
and commendable service that the
University Hospital has offered
the medical practice explains the
* * *
'U' HOSPITAL, which is close-
ly coordinated with the Mater-
Issues Call for
A special dancing chorus, com-
posed of six agile students will be
recruited for the forthcoming Gil-
bert and Sullivan production of
"Gondoliers," according to So-
ciety president Gary Hicks, '51.
A chorus of 50 singers, plus
eleven principals will also be
needed to present a bang-up pro-
duction this fall. The dancers
will perform the more-complex
routines, and will be backed up
by the principals and chorus,
"Gondoliers" will be the sev-
enth production of the Society,
' which boasts an impressive rec-
ord of hits with their "H.M.S.
Pinafore," "Pirates of Penzance,"
At the first meeting, to be held
at 7:15 p.m. Thursday in the
Grand Rapids Room of the Lea-
gue, all interested eligible stu-
dents may sign up for the chor-
us, principal try-outs or stage
crew and then get a taste of the
operetta by singing some of the
show's best songs.
Work on the production will
start immediately, with two week-
ly rehearsals for the singers un-
der the direction of James Ueber-
horst and Bill Boyer.
nity Hospital, Neuropsychiatric
Institute and Veterans Readjust-
ment Center, is under the man-
agement of the University. Be-
cause it is under the University's,
management, the Hospital gains
a big advantage from the close'
intergration with the medical
school, dental school, School of
Public Health, School of Nursing
and the scient4fic departments.
Continued expansion of the
University's medical set - up
with completion about 1960 is
foreseen. Future plans of the
Medical Center include a new
medical research building and
outpatient clinic building.
The Medical Research Build-
ing is being financed through a
$3,000,000 grant from The Kresge
Foundation. The new building is
designed to provide research in
problems related to medicine, of-
fer training for a selected group
of people and bring* theory and
practice together under one roof.
* * *
THE STRUCTURE itself will be
connected to the main hospital
for- maximum integration. It will
contain an amphitheatre-type
lecture hall with a seating capa-
city for 400, a medical library
with space for 150,000 volumes,
research laboratories and semi-
nar and conference rooms.
The need for a new outpa-
tient clinic arose from the in-
More than 300 years of Michi-
gan as seen through maps, letters,
books and documents, have been
compiled in the latest bulletin of
the Clements Library, "One
Hundred Michigan Rarities."
Seventeenth century French
maps on which the name Michi-
gan probably appears for the first
time are included in the bulletin.
It also contains several letters
written during Pontiac's seige of
Detroit in 1763, and Lincoln's first
draft call in Michigan in 1863.
creased use of the University
Hospital's facilities. The out-
patient clinic of the hospital
was originally designed to
handle 7,000 patients per
month. Last year the clinic av-
eraged 21,000 patients per
Besides providing more modern
and adequate facilities for pa-
tients, the new outpatient clinic
will enable the Medical School to
increase the size of its classes.
It is believed that the new clinic
will permit a 100 per cent in-
crease in the enrollment of the
junior and senior classes in the
THE UNIVERSITY .Hospital,
founded in 1869, was the first
university-controlled hospital in
the United States. It is a self-sup-
porting institution which depends
on the charges from patients to
finance operations. The State of
Michigan erected the buildings,
but provides no funds for run
'U' Hospital is known as a
"referral hospital" since the
patient's own doctor must give
him a letter of referral, asking
the Hospital to provide diag-
nosis and treatment of the ill-
ness. Patients who are residents
of the State of Michigan receive
a diagnostic service from the
physicians as well as examina-
tions and expert opinions. The
results of all treatment are re-
ported to the patient's own
To make a patient's stay as
pleasant as possible, the hospital
has a large social service staff
which cares for patients' needs.
For the younger people, the
University Hospital School offers
instruction to all from pre-school
age through high school.
* . *
FOR THE older patients 'U'
Hospital ha s an occupational
therapy shop with a printing
press, clay work, music room,
sewing, basketry, jewelry making,
woodwork and other arts and
crafts. Educational movies are
also shown each week.
Perhaps unique in libraries is
the one located on the fifth floor
of the hospital. It has a wide se-
lection of books, magazines and
newspapers. But to make them
easy reading, several special aids
are employed. They include ceil-
ing projectors with books on mi-
crofilm slides, soundscriber and
"talking books" on records.
Up Dorm Fee
Dime A Day
WALLS COME TUMBLING DOWN-The last wall of demolished
University Hall teeters and falls to the ground, leaving nothing
but rubble as a reminder of the once-famous building. Final
razing of the structure will expose a long-hidden portion of An-
gell Hall to view.
Hall Only Memories;
By JOHN DAVIES the '70's--dancing took place
Old University Hall is now just in the building,. an activity
so many truck loads of rubble- which ceased there when reli-
and a memory. gious groups protested.
Efficient workers this weekend A massive dome, towering 140
completed the razing of the 78- feet above the surrounding pas-
year-old building which served toral countryside, made U Hall a
for many generations, in all its much-photographed b u11 d in g.
Victorian splendor, as the center The original dome was replaced
of campus activities. by a second, smaller one in 1896,
* * * " ,te vra.m nr.,.o. af w hih 4