THE MICHIGAN DAILY
DAILY OFFICIAL Four German F
(Continued from Page 2)a
8 p.m. Tickets 50 cents on sale now
at Michigan League Information desk;
or see Leah Lichtenwalter or Ernest
Hares. A grand time for all, delicious
food, entertainment and dancing. Theh
largest social event for the "Treble-
aires" and "Kingfishes" this summer.
Let's all be there 100 per cent.
New members of Pi Lambda Theta.
Kindly call for your certificate at
Room °2533, University Elementary ' '
School on Tuesday, between 10 and
11 o'clock. Cal Frances Quigley atk
23082 if unable to call at this time
The Intramural Sports Building will
be closed Friday, Aug. 19, at 6 p.m.
All lockers must be vacated or re-;
newed for the school year on or be-
fore that date. The locker fee is
$2.50 for the period from Sept. 19,
1938 to June, 1939.
Exhibition of EarlyChinese Pottery Four German fliers, taking off fr
at the School of Architecture, Mon- westward flight between the two cit
roe Street, under the auspices of the Bennett field at the conclusion of ti
Institute of Fine Arts upon the occa- between Germany and the United S
sion of the Summer Institute of Far
Eastern Studies. The exhibition has if
been extended by request throughout
the Summer Session.
Colleges of Literature, Science and
the Arts, and Architecture; Schools of
Education, Forestry and Music: Sum-s
mer Session students wishing a tran---
script of this summer's work only
should file a request in Room 4, U.H.
several days before leaving Ann Ar-
bor. Failure to file this request will
result in a needless deay of several
The Bureau has received notice of
the following Michigan Civil Service w
Veterinarian, $150 per month. Ap-
plications not accepted after Aug. 22,y
Sanatorium Physician Classes, $200
to $325 per month less maintenance.
Applications not accepted after Aug.
Laundry Classes, $75 to $140 per
month less maintenance. Applica-
tions not accepted after Aug. 17,
Cook Classes, $75 to $140 per month
less maintenance. Applications not
accepted after Aug. 15, 1938.
Building Construction Classes, $130"
to $200 per month. Applications not
accepted after Aug. 15, 1938.
For further information please call x.r=
at the office 201 Mason Hall* Office
hours, 9-12 and 2-4.
University Bureau of AppointmentsC
and Occupational Information. Each student who has changed his
address since June registration should
Colleges of Literature, Science, and file a change of address in Room 4
the Arts, and Architecture; Schools U.H. so that the report of his sum-
of Education, Forestry and Music: mer work will not be misdiected.
First Baptist Church, 10:45 a.m.,
Aug. 14. Speaker, Dr. Walter S.
- flqI IG Ryder of Flint, Michigan: Theme:
"Horizons of Religion." Dr. Ryder
is a graduate of Colgate-Rochester.
- ENDING TONIGHT He has held important pastorates in
the Northwest and was for a time
H'istory Professor of Sociology at Macalester
In the Making! C ee
4 D St. Andrew's Episcopal Church.
Services of worship Sunday are: 8
a.m. Holy Communion, 11 a.m. morn-
TOMORROW ing prayer and sermon by the Rev.
Stalker Hall. Student Class at 9:45
a.m. with John Platt, Grad., as lead-
er. This will be the last student
meeting for the Summer Session.
First Methodist Church. NVorning
worship at 10:40 o'clock. Rev. Earl
Sawyer will preach on "The Sword
of the Spirit." Misses Jean and
Miriam Westerman will sing "0 Di-
vine Redeemer" by Gounod. Achilles
Taliaferro will be at the organ.
First Presbyterian Church, 1432
The Rev. A. G. Crooks of this city
will be the guest speaker at the Morn-
,:.ing W~rship Service at -10:45. He
has chosen for his topic "Capturing
the World for Christ. Dr. Healey
(Continued on Page 41
;: It is Grandest Comedy!
With PylsW lh -
om Berlin unheralded, completed a non-stop flight to New York-the first
ies in history-in 25 hours. The 24-passenger transport is shown at Floyd
he flight, which was undertaken to prove the feasibility of air service
niversity's New Psychiatric Institute
Hiers Complete Non-Stop Flight To U. S.
Germany Builds 39,000 Pound
Air Giant For Atlantic Crossing
FROM THE NEW YORK TIMES +regular mail and passenger service
Said to be one of Germany's lar- between Europe and the -United
gest and fastest land planes-if not' States, has already received permis-
the largest and fastest-the Brand- sion to make 14 landings in this coun-
enburg is an all-metal, low-wing try this summer. The hop of the Con-
monoplane powered by four engines. dor will count as one of the 14, it is
Except for the number of engines, understood.
it is more nearly comparable to theA The operating technique of Pan
Douglas commercial transports of American Airways, Imperial Airways
the DC-3 class used by many Ameri- and Deutsche Lufthansa, where four
can domestic air lines than any oth- i men are employed for flying, naviga-
er aircraft in general use in the tion, radio and power, was used on
country, the crossing.
Built by the Focke-Wulf Manufac-
turing Company in Bremen, it is 78
feet long, has a wing spread of 108.4
feet and a gross weight of 38,720
pounds. Although its exact passen-
ger capacity is not known, it is un-
derstood to be about that of the
Douglas DC-3's, which carry 21 pas-
It is powered by Pratt &Whitney
Hornet engines, manufactured in
Germany, under license, by the Ba-
varian Motor Works. These engines,
known as G-132's, are air-cooled and
are capable of developing 720 horse-
power each. Any two of them are
able to sustain the plane while in
flight, and with all, four turning over
the plane is said to have a crusiing
speed of about 200 miles an hour. The
plane has retractable landing gear
and variable-pitch, metal propellers
Recently a plane of the same type
flew from Berlin to Cairo, and it is
understood that similar craft are
now used commercially on the Ger-
man air line connecting Berlin and
Not a great deal is known about
the plane's apparatus for communi-
cation and navigation. It is known,
however, that it carries one long
wave radio transmitter and receiver
of 150 watts and a Lorenz short-wave
radio transmitter and receiver of 20
watts. A Telefunken homing device
and a receiving set for radio beams
are also included in the equpimernt.
Call letters for the plane are D- COTTONS . .. Sheer
According'to the information avail- Washables ... Darker D
able here, the original arrangement
was to have the Brandenburg fly . . . Afternoon Dresses.
around the world under the auspices
of the Focke-Wulf Company. The dresses you can buy f
German Government stepped inLo season wardrobe for a s
the picture, however, and after con-
ducing negotiations for permits to
land in various countries along the FORMER PRICE
proposed route decided to have the
plane cross the North Atlantic as one Sizes 1
of the survey flights of Deutsche
The Deutsche Lufthansa, which has
been conducting survey flights over
the North Atlantic for the last three
years in the expectation of opening
N ame Stamp at $2.00
(See Calkins-Fletcher's ad p. 4)
Fill out this coupon (first, mid-
die, and last names necessary)
and mail it with 25c in stamp to ALL SAL
324 South State St. !Che 6 z
ANN ARBOR, MICH.
FULL TAME S. .E.......
Address 309 SOUTH
Speeches, String Quartet
On Breakfast Prograin
The program for the breakfast for
candidates for masters degrees which
will be given at 9 a.m. Sunday in the
Union, has been announced by Miss
Ethel McCormick, social director of
the Summer Session.
Opening the program will be sev-
eral selections played by a string
quartet under the direction of Prof.
Hans Pick. Following the talk to be
given by Dean James B. Edmonson
will be singing by Don Yang, who
will be accompanied by F. Way.
President Ruthven's speech will
conclude the program
s . . . Prints . . . Pastel
resses .. . Sports Dresses
for your Fall and next
11 to 46
Institute To Treat
ment of mental diseases, the Univer-
sity this spring took steps to insure
its position on the frontier of mental
therapy by breaking ground for a
new $400,000 Neuro-Psychiatric In-
stitute which will include the most
modern equipment for treating men-
tal disorder known to 1938 science.
The Institute will house 83 beds,
20 of which are reserved for children.
Formerly a distinct entity from the
University, the Institute was under
the jurisdiction of both State and
University authorities. It was then
called the State Psychopathic Hospit-
The title of State hospital, however,
it was felt by Dr. R. W. Waggoner,
director, and his staff, attached a
disagreeable stigma to both the insti-
tution and its patients. The new name,
it is intended, will, therefore, aid in
building in the public mind the con-
ception of a mental disorder as pre-
cisely comparable to physical disorder
and deserving of the same sympathy
The new Institute will be a division
314 S. State St.
Student and Office Supplies
' Since 1908 Phone 6615
of the University hospital and as
such will make available a vast new
laboratory to students of mental
derangement as well as facilitating a
more complete cooperation with the
other departments of the University
Michigan was the iirst University
to have a mental hospital associated
with it, the State having opened a
mental clinic here in 1906.
Psychiatric institutes similar to the
one under construction here are now
located. at the Columbia University
medical center, the Cornell medical
center, both in New York City, at the
University of Iowa, in Iowa City, at
the University of Colorado in Den-
ver and at Johns Hopkins in Balti-
., .. . , .
231 SOUTH STATE STREET 8 Doors North of Kresge's
Drugs, Cosmetic, Tobaccos
To the Class of 1942!
Make your budget go further by Thrifty
buying at the MARSHALL Cut Rate Drug.
Your checks will be cheerfully cashed.
FREE! Desk Blotters with the outstanding
events of the year upon them. Drop us a
line and let us reserve some for you--