100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Download this Issue

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

This collection, digitized in collaboration with the Michigan Daily and the Board for Student Publications, contains materials that are protected by copyright law. Access to these materials is provided for non-profit educational and research purposes. If you use an item from this collection, it is your responsibility to consider the work's copyright status and obtain any required permission.

September 16, 1957 - Image 10

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
Michigan Daily, 1957-09-16

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.


'rsity Continues

North

Campus

Ex pans

-Daily-Richard Bloss
LABORATORY-The brick portion of
University's giant reactor, unique in the

By JOHN WEICHER
Future University expansion will
come largely on North Campus, a
700-acre tract of rolling land lo-
cated a mile northeast of the main
campus rea.
Since University President Har-
lan Hatcher broke ground for the
first structure five years ago, seven
units have been completed.
If funds from the State Legisla-
ture are forthcoming, construction
will sta:t on two others this year,
according to John G. McKevitt,
assistant to Vice -Presiden~t in
Charge of Business and Finance
Wilbur K. Pierpont.
These two structures are the
School of Music Building and the
Cyclotron-Synchrotron of the en-
gineering college.
Music Has Priority
The music school structure will
have priority in construction.
Plans drawn up include a central
administration and service area,
also housing a student center, with
wings on each side.
One of these wings will include'
the studios, classrooms and prac-
tice rooms, while the other will
house band and choral rehearsal
halls.
The proposed building will oc-
cupy 110,000 square feet of land.
An organ recital unit will be placed.
behind the administration area.
If a sufficiently large appropria-
tion is granted by the Legislature,
work may also begin on the cyclo-
tron-synchrotron. The machines
here will. be used to speed up elec-
trons and neutrons, respectively,
before these particles are used in
atomic bombarbment. The cyclo-
tron-synchrotron will be one of
several engineering college struc-
tures.

-DaIy-Ricnar Bloss
NORTHWOOD APARTMENTS-Now in use are 96 living spaces,
with another unit of construction slated to be constructed in the
future.

Another of these structures will
be the Fluids Engineering Labora-
tory, first unit of the Fluids En-
gineering Building. This laboratory
will house equipment for observa-
tion of beach erosion, breakwater
design, and the effects of lake and
ocean waves on various types of
structures.
In addition, a number of other
studies will be carried on in the
new, buildingl These include air
pollution and conditioning, fluid
mechanics, heat transfer, hydrau-
lics, chemical distillation and frac-
tionating, and ship and propeller
design.
The other units of the Fluids
Engineering Building are listed as
projects for the distant future,
McKevitt says.
In this same category he includes
the Highway Laboratory and Ar-
chitecture.Building.
Station Scheduled
Another building which should
be finished this year is the North

Campus Switching Station. This
will be used to provide electric
power and telephone service to the
buildings on the campus.
One other building should be
completed this year. This .is the
Printing and Warehouse Building.
Bids may be taken soon on the
third unit of Northwood Apart-
ments, a housing development for
married students, designed to help
alleviate the shortage of housing
for these students.
The first two units, containing
396 apartments, are now in use,
as the University is seeking to
make North Campus more than
just a stepchild of the main area.
The proposed third unit of the
apartment project will add 285
apartments to those already oc-
cupied.
Second Unit Done .
Second section of Northwood
Apartments was one of the units
completed this past year.
Another of these recent addi-

tions to the campus is the Aero-
nautical Engineering Laboratory.
Three wind tunnels are housed
in this building. One of these gen-
erates winds of up to 7,500 miles
per hour, ten times the speed of'
,sound. Experiments of guided mis-
siles and space satellies are carried
out in this tunnel, which winds,
in a closed circle for 300 feet out-
side the main building.'
The two smaller tunnels create?
winds with velocities between 750
and 3,000 miles per hour for pur-
poses of research and instruction.'
Phoenix Memorial Laboratory
was also completed last fall, al-
though this building has been in
use since its dedication in June,
1955. The third floor was just
finished.
Peacetime Lab
This building is the only non-
governmental laboratory in the
country used for research in peace-
time uses of atomic energy. Alum-
ni and public donations supplied
the $1,700,000 needed to complete
the building, a memorial to the
University's dead of World War
IL
Ford Nuclear Reactor was also
completed in conjunction with
Phoenix Memorial Building. Here
neutron bombardment is carried
on in a 40,000 gallon "swimming
pool." This is the nation's most
powerful private atomic reactor.
First building on the campus
was the Mortimer E. Cooley Me-
morial Building, named for the
dean of the engineering college
from 1903 to 1928. This was dedi-
cated in the fall of 1953.
Engineering Research Institute
uses the building for advanced
electronic research. Top secret

government and' industry projects.
are carried on here.
Others Completed
Other completed buildings in-
clude the Automotive Engineering
Building, where instruction and re-
search in automotive fields is
carried on. The building houses 17
soundproofed test cells, in which
experiments on engines can be
made.
The older-less-used portion of
the University library is housed in
the Central Services and Stack

Building, the other No
structure.
All these buildings
in one half of the 7
Present plans for the
call for a joint city ani
project to provide sew
and improve water di
northeastern Ann Arb
the North Campus are
In this section of t
located the sites to be
Bendix Co. and Parke
Co.

Try FOLLETT'S First
USED BOOKS
at
BARGAIN PRICES
FOLLETY
STATE. STREET at NORTH UNIVERSIT

Y''

I '

bill

.

N

Whether you are a Freshman or a Senior,

DjaiLy- RicflnardBlOSS
114STRUCTION - Nearing completion Is the Fluids
r Laboratory Building, which will house numerous

you are Eligible to Rush Fraternities

A at the Del Rio
tried the rest -- try the BEST.

S .0

Reasonable Price on Delivery Service
From 6 P.M. to 12 P.M.
BEER and WINE to take out
122 West Washington
Hours 4 to 12 P.M. -- Closed Tuesday

*

THE INTERFRATERNITY

COUNCIL

,.

', .

wishes to announce

WANTED: STUDENTS

11

We are looking for students who are interested in the
world outside of the classrooms, the dorms,
the fraternity and sorority houses, and the
football stadium.
We are looking for students who are concerned about
National and, international affairs
Economic developments
Scientific advances
Reports about medical achievements
Progress in sociology, psychology
Important events in sports
Reviews of arty, literature, TV, radio,
moviesM
Personalities-the names in the headlines
And other significant matters in the forth-
coming year
We are looking for students who wish to be well-in-
formed but who must be careful about
their finances
To such students, we offer the following special cam-
pus rates
r
----- -- -- -- ---------------- --- -- - -- -- -- -- ----
FULL YEAR SCHOOL YEAR
Time-$4 (8cc copy)U.S. News & World Report
$3.67 (9c acopy) fl
Life-$4 (8c a copy) Q New Yorker-$3
Sports Illustrated-$4 (9c a copy) Q
SSat. Eve. Post-$3.50 1
Reporter $3.50 (14ca (cpNewsweek,-$2.50
Newsweek-$3 (6c a copy) O (7c 6 copy) fl

.4

SEPTEMBER 29-OCTOBER 13

J

* Register for Rushing in Room 1020 Administration Building
from September 14 through October 2.

* NO FEE

- just sign the.

I

F.C. Rushing List.

MASS RUSHING METN

1'
V

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25

-MICHIGAN UNION BALLROOM

Back to Top

© 2020 Regents of the University of Michigan