100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Download this Issue

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

This collection, digitized in collaboration with the Michigan Daily and the Board for Student Publications, contains materials that are protected by copyright law. Access to these materials is provided for non-profit educational and research purposes. If you use an item from this collection, it is your responsibility to consider the work's copyright status and obtain any required permission.

June 20, 1946 - Image 3

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Michigan Daily, 1946-06-20

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

THURSDAY, JUNE 20, 1946

THE MICHIGAN DAILY

'PAGE "THREE

---

PAGE THREE

'U' Building Program Trails
Behind Other Big Ten Schools

(Continued from Page 1)
central portion of University Hall -
focus of many administrative offices
- which had "long since been declar-
ed a fire hazard to the safety of its
occupants and to the integrity of ad-
jacent buildings."
Request To Legislature
Acting on the University's inability
to give the returning veteran "the
educational opportunity he has a
right to expect," the Regents laid be-
fore the legislature in December a
request for appropriations of $6,500,-
000 to undertake an "emergency"
building program.
The Regents called for construc-
tion of the following buildings:
Business Administration building,
$1,800,000; East Engineering Building
addition, $1,750,000; Chemistry Build-
ing addition, $1,250,000; and matern-
ity hospital, $900,000.
General Service Building
The Regents also requested $400,-
000 to meet increased construction
costs for the General Service Build-
ing, approved by the legislature in
1945, and $450,000 for service con-
nections to the proposed new build-
ings.
University vice-president Marvin L.
Niehuss described the five proposed
buildings as those most urgently need-
ed within the next two years when a
peak enrollment of 15,000 or more is.
expected.
Opposition From Detroit
Backed by Gov. Kelly, the Regents
request was forwarded to the special
session of the legislature in Febru-
ary where it promptly ran into op-
position from Michigan's municipali-]
ties, led by Detroit's Mayor Edward]
Jeffries, who demanded that a largeri
share of state revenues be appropri-1
ated for local government aid.
Revising Gov. Kelly's recommend-
ed appropriation for the University
downward,- Mayor Jeffries contended
that the University "does not need
new buildings."
President Ruthven, who was testi-
fying before the House and Senate
finance committees, retorted that "the
same buildings which were at the
University 22 years ago (when Jef-
fries attended) are still there, only
they are 22 years older."
Education For Veterans
Gov. Kelly defended the appro-
priation with the statement: "Either1
we educate the veterans now, or we
don't educate them at all.",
Gov. Kelly, however, did not recom-
mend the entire $6,500,000 appropria-
tion requested by the Regents. Be-
cause of numerous demands on state
revenues, the Governor recommended
that $3,300,000 be appropriated in
1946 and the balance in 1947.
President Ruthven told the legisla-
tors:
"We need some indication from
this special session that we are safe
in going ahead with our emergency
building program. With $3,300,000
we will be able to start the program."
Part Of Future Program
The Regents request for $6,500,000
of building construction was part of a
$15,000,000 program which the Uni-
versity hopes to complete within five
years. Other buildings to be con-
structed include:
Additions to Angell Hall and the
General Library; a new medical class-
room building near University Hos-
pital, releasing the present East Med-
ical Building for use by the College
of Engineering; a School of Music
Building; an astronomical observa-
tory and laboratory; an armory for
Army and Navy training units; and
a wind tunnel and engineering re-
search laboratory.
Contracts Let
Soon after the legislature stamped
approval on Gov. Kelly's recommend-
ed $3300,000 appropriation, the Re-
gents let contracts for construction
of the five buildings.
Construction had not gotten under
way, however, when the Civilian

Production Administration issued a
"freeze" order in an effort to concen-
trate all construction in the nation
on veterans' housing.
CPA Approval
By the middle of May, CPA had
approved construction of the Chem-C
istry Building addition and the East
Engineering Building addition.
The Food Service Building, not
covered by legislative appropriation,
has also been given a CPA green
light for construction.
Construction of the remaining,
buildings is expected because, in the
words of President Ruthven, "the!
University's entire emergency build-
ing program is designed to aid veter-
ans."
Hospital Unit
Aids European
War Casualties
On June 27, 1942, a group of doc-
tors, nurses and technicians from
University Hospital received orders
to proceed to Camp Robinson, Ark.
To the group this was the begin-
ning of a career that would take
them to England, France and Bel-
gium as members of the meritorious;
298th General Hospital of the United
States Army Medical Corps.
Activated several months previous-
ly for training under Dr. Walter G.
Maddock and Margaret Schafer, the
unit was now ready for Army induc-
tion.
At Camp Robinson, the group was
joined by five Red Cross workers, one
of them Evelyn Harwood, a Michi-
gan graduate; three dieticians, two of
them from the University; and sev-
eral other technicians. Col. O. T.
Kirksey of the regular Army became
commanding officer.
Following an intensive Army train-
ing course, the unit left camp and
on Oct. 28, 1942,ulanded in England,
the fourteenth general hospital to
arrive in the European Theater of
Operations.
Occupying one of the emergency
English Medical Service units in Bris-
tol, they began full operation early
in November.

U' Professors
Outstanding 'in
War Research
(Continued Irom Page 1)
ted a research program at' Harvard
University and also worked on the
"tuba", a land-based radar jammer,
and other devices. Prof. Stephen S.I
Attwood, also in electrical engineer-
ing, was director of the Wave Prop-
agation -Group at Columbia Univer-
Sity, to promote effective use of radar.
In addition, he was a member of the
Propagation Mission sent to England
for research.
Army Medics
While serving as regiment surgeon
for the ninth and thirty-ninth infan-
try divisions, William J. Butler of
the medical school received the bronze,
star and cluster, eight bronze battle
stars, one bronze arrow head and
the unit presidential citation with
cluster. Prof. Udo J. Wile, also of
the medical school, was given a pub-
lic health decoration by the French
government for work done on a visit
there. At that time, the decoration
had only been given to two other
men.
Prof. Raymond W. Waggoner,
chairman of the psychiatry depart-
ment, formulated the mental survey
program used in the selective service
system to assemble medical and his-
torical information about draftees.
He was appointed by Gen. Hershey.'
Prof. Louis A. Baier, chairman of
the naval architecture department
conducted University experimental;
work which facilitated wartime tran-
sportation with barges and other
craft. Tests in naval tanks on trans-t
ports and floating dry docks were
conducted by Prof. Henry C. Adams
also of the naval architecture de-
partment.
French Award
The French decoration, Palmes
Academiques and accompanying
membership in the French Academy
were given to Prof. Ralph W. Ham-
mett of the architecture school for
his work in saving French historical
documents.
Prof. Lawrence Preuss of the politi-
cal science department was Associate
Chief, Division of International Or-
ganization Affairs in the State De-
partment and also served on the
United Nations War Crimes Commis-
sion in London. In addition, he was
assistant secretary of the Dumbar-
ton Oaks conference. Prof. Preuss
was also technical expert at the Uni-
ted Nations Conference in San Fran-
cisco.

DR. ALEXANDER
. . . President of1

G. RUTHVEN
the University

College Degree
Still Privilege'
Despite GI Bill
(Continued from Page 1)
compared with the predictions of
future enrollment.
For the fall semester this year,
predictions of University officials
and faculty members range all the
way from 15,000 to 20,000.
Faced with limited educational fa-
cilities and unlimited demands for
theirtuse, University officials have
adopted "emergency" admissions poli-
cies designed to hold the enrollment
within bounds which will not en-
danger the University's academic
standing.
The first step in this direction was
a ban on the admission of new out-
of-state students in line with the
University's expressed first obligation
to the State of Michigan.
However, out-of-state students for-
merly enrolled in the University were
automatically granted permission to
r- enter.
At the time out-of-state admissions
were shut off in January, 800 from
other states had already been admit-
ted.
Among Michigan residents, first
consideration is being given to vet-
erans since all residents seeking
admission cannot be accomodated.
Efforts have been made by Dean
Hayward Keniston, of the literary
college, and Dr. George E. Carrothers,
director of the University's Bureau of
Cooperation with Educational Insti-
tutions, to "deploy" prospective col-
lege students to the state's less-
crowded schools.

Largest Reunion
Anticipated Here
(Continued from Page 1)
ed to 20 former students killed in
acti on. These will be the first such
degrees to be conferred by the
University since 1918.
Sponsored by the 1931 engineering
class, the Victory Reunion dance will
be held from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. at
Barton, Hills Country Club.
Getting off to an early start, Sat-
urday's activities will open at break-
fasts given by the deans and their
faculties for the individual schools
and colleges.
As fitting close to the reunion,
alumni will hear Secretary of Agri-
culture Clinton P. Anderson address
approximately 1,650 graduates in the
University's 102nd commencement.

'U' Reveals Variety of Proj ects
For New Willow Rui A irport

(ContinUed from Page 1)
ginal construction of the airport,
pointed out that his department
needs facilities for research and field
testing. "An experimental program
in soil mechanics closely coordi-
nated with airfield maintenance and
construction is being planned for
Willow Run by this department," he
said.
Loading Tests
Large scale loading tests are the
first of the projects proposed for
Willow Run by Prof. Housel. Evalua-
tions of airport paving under wheel
loads up to 150,000 pounds will be
made. "Since the present runways at
Willow Run are not built for such
loads," he said, "we must either take
precautions to see that these run-
ways are not damaged, or establish
rates high enough to repair or re-
place them."
The second project outlined by
Prof. Housel includes field observa-
tions of the service behavior of run-
ways. This would involve the con-
struction and testing of full scale
pavement cross-sections under ac-
celerated traffic and full size wheel
loads. It would also include the ob-
servation and analysis of existing
paving under the heavy traffic con-
templated by the airlines.
Development of rational design of
airport drainage systems is the third
project outlined by Prof. Housel.
An instructional program in soil sur-
veys and the influences of soil con-
ditions on airport design and con-
struction is the fourth project that
will be taken up at Willow Run by

the Department of Civil Engineering.
The fifth projet planned is con-
cerned with modern construction
equipment--design, operating char-
acteristics and cost estimates.
Field Laboratory
"As a field laboratory Willow Run
will be unexcelled by any facility
available to a university," Prof. Hou-
sel said. He pointed out that in-
terested government agencies might
send engineers and officials to Wil-
low Run for training in airport de-
sign and construction.
A test cell for experimental work
on aircraft engines will be set up
at Willow Run by the Department of
Mechanical Engineering, Prof. Ran-
som S. Hawley, chairman of that de-
partment, said. Such a test cell would
be too big and dangerous to incor-
porate with regular laboratory pro-
cedure here on campus, he explained.
"We would also like to carry on auto-
mobile road tests and tests on jet
propulsion engines and gas turbines
at Willow Run, he said.
The Department of Chemical and
Metallurgical Engineering would like
to carry on some high pressure ex-
periments, lubricant tests and other
research projects at Willow Run, Dr.
George G. Brown, chairman of that
department said.
Transportation Course
Prof. Roger L. Morrison of the
Highway Engineering and Transport
ivision of the Department of Civil
Engineering said that his division
is considering a course in air trans-
portation.

Y

-iil

T.,!

"-4

13N

,y)

Merry have we met
Merry have we been
Merry will we part
And Merry meet again.

Chicken Dinner - Steaks
Chops - Sea Food
Luncheon & Dinner Specials
BEER and WINE
IDEL
RESTAURANT
117 East Washington

III

i1i

READ IT ANb WEED'!

a'
It's a matter of good
taste to dine with vis.
SERVICE ... PLEASURE
SATISFACTION
LIBERTY CAFE
.613 EAST LIBERTY STREET

t
Dine in the Charming
Early American Atmosphere
of
THE COLONIAL !ROOM
Specializing
Steaks - Chicken - Sea Food
Give your Student Parties
in our
Private Dining Rooms

The Bell, football, and the
Arb are no more. But
8 o'clocks, Health Service,
bluebooks, and the Campus
Cop are over too. Congrat
ulations, Seniors!

R
+17iR .
a
OBE
''

1

STEAK DINNERS

Call 2o6544

Remember your college days with a gift from
in ..connection with
GINSBURG'S FURS
607 EAST LIBERTY - Next to Michigan Theatre

, i

for those
warm days
of Sumnier
Bright colored cotton
skirts with white peasant
blouses are an easy way
of keeping cool.
Dresses for dress and
play in pastels,. stripes or
prints. Right for every
occasion.

C ,"J U
<
l V
' 3
::. ,.. i
v
j:
" ..

-t > III

Back to Top

© 2021 Regents of the University of Michigan