TUESDAY, OCTOBER 14, 1941
THE MICHIGAN DAILY
TUSAY .COEI 4,141T E IHIArD IY AE EE
_Unversity Cam pus As It Appeared To S tud eits Of 1830
x:'ALSI* ;~i7 .
In the 1860's the young University of Michigan's campus, likened "to a small farm," was a far
cry from the vast campus of 'today. This view shows the northwest end of the diagonal nearly 100
Mason Hall Provided Students Co-education
With First Sleeping Quarters Given Impetus
Celebrating its centennial along ly. Each of these houses were pri- By tJniversity
With the literary college, dormi- vate gifts-Martha° Cook having
t ties on campus will mark the also a permanent garden.
yOth anniversary of their in- ( Betsy Barbour House, also a pri- Women Came In 1870
vate gift, had accommodations In Spite Of Opposition
statution this year' for 88 women. Mosher-Jordan
The first dorm ever to be built Halls were opened sin September From Many Educators
on campus was Mason Hall, con- 1934, the largest residence yet
structed in 1841. At that time built on campus. Each of the Among the many important de-
the plan of the building included halls had its own dining and liv- velopments in which the Univer-
64 rooms and 32 studies, but was ing rooms and the two together sity of Michigan pioneered over its
later changed with the additon held 434 women. The building was .
of a chapel, recitation rooms, a named after two former deans of sister institutions was in respect
lrary and a museum. , women of the University, Eliza to the admission of women to the
By 1850, two more residence M. Mosher and Myra B. Jordan. student roster.
halls had been built, but Pres. The last in the cycle of women's It was during the administration
I4enry P. Tappan closed them dorms was opened in February of of Henry S. Frieze, professor of
when he discovered that they were 1940 under the name of Madelon
not a success. When women were Louisa Stockwell Hall. Miss Stock- Latin who was acting president in
first admitted to the University well was the first co-ed ever to 1869 following the resignation of
in 1870, the problem of residence enroll in the University, having President Haven, that the great
halls for women became the next completed her degree in 1872. Step was taken.
step in dormitory history. Stockwell accommodates 388 The was tken
In the ensuing years the female women in its two wings which
enrollment was not sufficiently operate as one unit. A sundeck, roll in the University was Madelon
large to ;warrant the building sunrooms, laundries, recreation Louisa Stockwell of Kalamazoo,
of dorms until 1916, when Martha rooms latest features of the dorm who entered on Feb. 2, 1870, imme-
Chok and Helen Newberry were system-were included in the d r
constructed. Betsy Barbour, Mo- house in addition to the 75 double diately after the passage of the
sher-Jordsn and Stockwell were rooms and 238 singles. at. It is in her memory that the
built to accommodate the ever- The cycle of men's dorms in- new womens dormitory has been.
oncreasing numbers of women en- eludes the large West quadrangle, named. Wide the growth of to-
lled. Cook and Newberry were situated behind the Union and Merest in the opportunities thus
mally dedicated in 1916, hous- composed of eight houses. Allen- opened. 11 other omen followed
g 117 and 82 women respective- Rumsey House was opened in the her in 0ctober of the same year.
fall of 1938, a year psevious to the Although a few smaller colleges.
opening of the entire circuit. A a'mong them Oberlin' and Kala-
ichi an Historic total of 942 men are housed there. mazoo College, had already accept-
while roughly half that number '.d the principle of co-education,
Collection Gathers are living in the East Qaudrangle it was Michigan, as a university,
which is composed of four houses which. in giving its official approv-
esearch Material s and was opened in September of al. started the movement rolling in
. 1940. the larger institutions throughout
'The Michigan Historical Collec- Fletcher Hall, a small house for the country, and particularly in
tionwasestalisdtoigate Cc- men situated near campus and the Middle West and West.
tion was established to gather re- Vco .Vuhnrsdnefr
search materials for study of the Victor C. Vaughan residence for-
history of Michigan. . medical students filled the re- -
It had its beginning in the quirements for residence halls.
spring of 1935, when a grant of 1y Addition to these are the
$00wasobtind fom acutyLawyers Club and the MJohn P.s
research funds in order to initiate Cool Building, which though not
sch a program. Success in the under the supervision of the ten
first effort prompted the Regents Board of Governors of Residence
to establish a research assistant- Halls, provide living accommoda-
tions for members of the Lawyer's
a ip for collection, preservation Club. The Unioni and the League,
and study of the history of the Clu, he soe sdsthe ue,
state's most important non-gov- too, house some students-the Un-
ernmntalinsitutonthe ri-ion holding 100 residents selected
ernmental institution, h from men of the graduate school
versity. and senior classes.
.Frm 1935 to 1927 was compiled classes,
TAK GIA LES
Y k.A x l t, tti ,,i Al ' I/ 1$1(
IDOYears oF ProgrFes
TTHE COLLimI O
SCIENCE & ARTS
308 SOU T1H ST ATE
100 YEARS of
Progress in Education
322-324 S. Main
Mr. Fiegel is celebrating
his GOLDEN JUBILEE -
outfitting men and boys
in Ann Arbor.
ra t ion
reet On the Campus
an impressive assortment of docu-
ments and this led to the estab-
lishment. of a standing committee
on University archives by the Re-
gents to advise the director of the
program, Prof. Lewis G. Vander
Velde of the history department.
In February, 1938, the Regents
designated the collection as the
Michigan Historical Collection of
tile University of Michigan. Change
in location of quarters from Uni-
versity Press Room to William
Clements Library to Rackham
Building also came about in this
(Continued from Page 51
it did the rest of the nation, but
the University provided its share
of students and faculty men that
distinguished themselves, and it
might be added, Michigan men
fought under Theodore Roosevelt
in the Rough Riders.
. Sate St