The Michigan Daily -Friday, April 2, 1993 - Page 5
UAfter a five-month wait, residents will have another chance to vote when the city election is held Monday. Here's help... ho uncu
Choo-ngthe City Counci
* Wants to "deliver
basic-city services at
* Describes herself as
an environmentalist, is
* Wants University
cooperation with the
U Has set up multiple
task forces to solve
problems ranging from
clashes with downtown
businesses to riot prevention to city finances.
U Pledged to keep property tax levels low.
* Would like to lead
Ann Arbor "into the
* Approves of voucher
system for public
* Favors building 1,500
new units of low- and
housing by obtaining
~,federal and state funds.
* Believes lower taxes
T would provide
Sincentives for private
* Has repeatedly run
for various city and state offices.
* Favors privatization
of city services except
police and courts, both
of which are necessary
to protect personal
U Feels people, not
~.take responsibility for
M *Opposed to the MRF
because it uses money
that could be utilized
A for cleaning current
* Feels there are too
many rules and regulations on business and
U Is a graduate student in communication.
M.f Believes effective
delivery of city services
Sis best handled by the
Tsz city administrator, who
should be accountable.
* Feels city puts undue
burden on property tax
M Would like to develop
4 "protocols" for solving
future conflicts with the
* Would support re-
- examination of
* Thinks politics
sometimes interferes with providing basic
7isch PauiJ~nsen IJflIW~IV0~t0 RepubUcan n~rid$h~fdoi~ ~
* Would like to obtain
more federal money and
work with the county on
* Believes the University
and city should work
special business events.
* Would "ensure citizen
input on council
implementation of new
U Advocates increased funding for drug
treatment programs to prevent crime.
U Supports increased public housing efforts.
* Is commnitted to reducing waste in Ann Arbor and is against
* , Hoes ton.>ring more student concerns to the council.
parkinge. W ne
.t Woridihoise evoeysshing ttn typr.
M upot hedrguain fzoigmast auwhihr
d elis thesint. shudrdc ae ymkn rsi
* Would like to develop
transit corridors to help
solve transportation and
* Believes the city
should take gradual
steps to privatize
* Feels citizens should
be actively involved in
formulating city policy.
* Says free market works in most cases
and should be used when possible.
a MEWould like to build
consensus among city,
Smerchants and the
M Says the city should
2be a facilitator, not a
'~" *provider, of housing.
* Doesn't see where
enter into council
U Thinks city needs a rational policy on
U Opposes the
~'It depends on how ~
run ~ I hope the
University wizards help
US 0ut with that/i
Demot~rat Barbara ead7
"Just because there's
money out there doesn't
mean you have toSD4md
~I I I
.~~LJbe ~smuei 4op1
North university '
* Wants to reduce taxes, especially property taxes, by
rvatysipublicr housin should be deal wth onfederal level.va-
*U Believes the sarme rules should apply to students as other
* Wants to reduce crime in Ann Arbor by providing mnore
support to police forces.
South univ rsity
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||A|||||||f||||J M|||||| |'! |||||||||||||| 4|| 4|| ||1J |I 5 |
-$E XM U Wants to bring student issues to council.
* Hopes to develop more community watch
programs for crime prevention.
.* Says waste disposal should be dealt with by the private sector
* Wants to deregulate city zoning laws in order to allow higher
de nsity housing.
* Believes city government should not provide public housing tc
* Wants the University to pay more taxes because the city
provides services to University students.
* Wants a federal agency to conduct a study of pollution
around city dumps because he says city reports have not been
* Does not feel crime is an important issue in the city.
the M' uuuL
k U - U
- Mar~nr~Iu'~r1 .s ~-11115 lFrlrflJ>:
QU iJUUM1E4fl15J uuy JWfti .
* Says the University should pay the true cost
of services in the city.
* Would like to have students involved in the
Noisy Party Task Force to provide a more
cooperative atmosphere between the city and the student
* Believes the city should do more research into finding ways
to alleviate Ann Arbor's parking problem.
* Would like to provide a conciliatory voice on the council to
decrease factions within the council.
* Would stress cleaning Ann Arbor's environment by reducing
the amount of auto emissions through fuel alternatives.
* Advocates crime prevention through neighborhood
* Wants more city-subsidized single-unit
public housing sites.
nuhlk~aft Julie UreM
* Would increase funds for mnass transit systems.
* Wants to develop a "carting" system where citizens would
p ark in the Briarwood Mall area and the city would provide
buses to and from the area.
.3 Is against incineration and advocates the use of more bio-
dlegradable products and an increase in recycling facilities.
'* Advocates a single tax that would fund all major city and
* Suggests that the city and University
cooperate on commuters' needs, including
.satellite parking and the bus system.
* Would like immediate infrastructure improvements.
* Believes all ideas need to be expressed in debate.
* Is skeptical that enough recyclables will reach MRF to make
the project profitable.
"We e e t take c*e2 of our
Ow-nten heP theOtbO
EDNmotErEt Steven Hartis wl
* Wants to improve student representation
on the council by creating a student ward.
* Wants fewer zoning regulations to enable higher density
un.~rnu~ v~iiu.4q~gqU~...............50:.: ~