The Michigan Daily - Tuesday, March 4, 1986 - Page 7
Reagan calls for aid
to Nicaraguan rebels
From AP and UPI
President Reagan stepped up his
campaign to assist anti-communist
rebels in Nicaragua, calling for more
aid to the Contras and entering into
joint U.S.-Honduran military exer-
cises that neighboring Nicaragua has
perceived as a threat.
Reagan called on Congress yester-
day to support $100 million in
assistance to the contras saying those
who resist will be held "fully accoun-
table by history."
REAGAN said that if the Sandinista
government achieves final victory, it
would "open up the possibility of
Soviet military bases on America's
doorstep, threaten the security of the
Panama Canal and inaugurate a vast
migration march to the United States
by hundreds of thousands of
The president issued his statement
in the Cabinet Room as he was
flanked by the top leadership of the
Nicaraguan resistance forces and by
more than two dozen U.S. business
supporters of the rebel cause.
The Contra representation included
Adolfo Calero, head of the Nicaraguan
Democratic Force; Arturo Cruz, a
former Sandinista ambassador to
Washington, and Alfonso Robelo, a
member of the original Sandinista
junta that took power in 1979. All now
are leaders of the United Nicaraguan
PRESIDENT Jose Azcona of Hon-
duras officially opened a new phase of
joint U.S.-Honduran military exer-
cises that neighboring Nicaragua has
charged are a prelude to an invasion.
The exercises, called Cabanas 86,
are being held in La Mosquita jungle
near the Honduran-Nicaraguan bor-
der and are the first such joint
military exercises since last August.
Azcona, sworn into office Jan. 27 af-
ter winning last November's
presidential election, officially
opened the first stage of the Cabanas
86 maneuvers, the Honduran gover-
The president traveled to the area
of the exercises and witnessed
military transport planes parachuting
machinery and construction
materials into the jungle area, some
25 miles from the Nicaraguan border,
Honduran military spokesmen said.
Some 500 U.S. military engineers
from Fort Bragg, N.C., arrived by
ship at the nation's Caribbean coast
and headed toward the village of
Mocoron, in the Gracias a Dios
province, where they will build a lan-
ding strip scheduled to be completed
in a month.
There was no immediate infor-
mation on the number of troops from
either nation participating in the
exercises, their duration, or the type
of weaponry to be utilized.
Daily Photo by ANDI SCHREIBER
A couple enjoys the late afternoon sun and infrequent solitude of a Ft. Lauderdale beach during spring break last week.
U.S. fears for Philippine bases, panel says
(Continued from Page 1)
legitimacy by prosecuting those who
committed election crimes. "This
will allow her to move legitimately
against the war lords, and she can
move while she still has the support of
THE UNITED States is relying on
berger, and President Reagan
pressured Marcos to step down, they
continued to support General Fidel
Ramos and Defense Minister Juan
Ponce Enrile, who both occupied top
positions under Marcos. The United
States sees Ramos and Enrile as
reformers who will streamline the
Philippine military, enabling it to
protect U.S. military bases from
communist rebels in the islands.
However, Melinda Quintos de Jesus
warns that "we tend to put Enrile and
Ramos as two of a kind, and they're
not."sRamos has no political am-
bitions, while Enrile has strong
political ambitions, she said.
PANELISTS said that the United
States was worried by the doubling
over the past year of the New Peoples'
Army (NPA), which is the military
arm of the communist insurgency.
During that same time, the NPA in-
creasingly sought confrontations with
government troops, panelists said.
Panelist Melinda Quintos de Jesus,
a Philippinie journalist who is visiting
the University, pointed out, however,
that Ramos, who is now Aquino's
Defense Minister, does not think the
communist insurgency is a military
problem, but a social and political
problem. She predicted that the in-
surgency may decrease its
"There will be a regrouping of the
NPA. If the military plays its cards in
the manner exemplified by Ramos or
the revisionist officers there would be
an accommodation of both parties
away from an explosive situation,,"
Quintos de Jesus said.
AQUINO HAS the potential to un-
dercut the popularity of the NPA, said
McRoy. "The more she reforms,
moves leftwards in administering, the
less active and large the NPA will
However, McRoy points out, while
Aquino is repeatedly talking of recon-
ciliation with the left, Shultz is in-
creasingly hostile to the NPA.
Edilberto de Jesus said that a year
ago, analysts thought that the NPA
would come into plower within five
years, unless the situation changed.
protest new policies
(Continued from Page 1)
IT WAS the first major incident in-
volving rebels of the 16,000-strong
New People's Army and security for-
ces since Aquino assumed power.
Aquino has said she would propose a
cease-fire with the rebels.
Laurel announced plans to start
work on a new constitution hours after
thousands of people gathered in
Manila and seven other cities to
protest orders that pro-Marcos
governors and mayors be replaced
with presidential appointees, avoiding
the electoral process.
Also yesterday a judge froze $350
million in New York properties
believed owned by Marcos in the first
step of a legal fight to recover "wealth
that properly belongs to the Philip-
pine people," lawyers said.
LAWYERS working for Aquino filed
suit in Manhattan against Marcos, his
wife Imelda and 20 other people and
corporations in order to recover the
holdings, including a palatial Long
... proposes solutions
two former Marcos supporters to
streamline the military and protect
U.S. military bases in the country
from the communist insurgency, said
panelist Alfred McRoy, a visiting ex-
pert on the Philippines.
McRoy said that although several
top U.S. officials, - including
Secretary of State George Schultz,
Secretary of Defense Caspar Wein-
The lawyers at the Center for Con-
stitutional Rights - representing
Aquino without fee - claim Marcos
has $7 billion in holdings in the United
States, $350 million of which is in New
York City and on Long Island.
They sought, and were awarded, a
temporary restraining order from
state Supreme Court Justice Elliot
Wilk late Sunday forbidding the
property to be sold until the dispute
over ownership is decided.
WILK ALSO ordered Marcos to ap-
pear in court in Manhattan tomorrow
to argue for freeing those properties.
Included in the property, besides
the Long Island estate, are buildings
on Madison and Fifth Avenues, Wall
Street and at Herald Square.
"We wanted to freeze the assets so
the Philippine government can go
forward with' the judicial process,
which will determine whether or not
money was taken illegally from the
Philippines," said Michael Ratner, a
spokesman for the Center for Con-
Now accepting applications
for Cooking and Waiting day-
time and evening help.
* Higher hourly wage
based on previous
Please apply in person be-
tween 11 a.m.-7 p.m., Mon-
Sun. at the following loca-
2080 W. Stadium Blvd.,
450 E. Michigan,
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics,
the need for paralegals is about to double.
Now is the time to become a part of this
dynamic profession ... and there is no finer train-
ing available than at Philadelphia's acclaimed
Institute for Paralegal Training. After just four
months of intensive study, we will find you a job
in the city of your choice. We are so confident of
the marketability of our graduates that we offer a
unique tuition refund plan.
To learn how you can add market value to
your college degree, return the coupon or call toll-
We'll be on campus 3/12/86 & 3/13/86
Contact your placement office to arrange for an
individual interview or group presentation.
THE INSTITUTE I
Approved b the
Mail this coupon to: Mvi
Institute for Paralegal Training
1926 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Please send a copy of your catalogue.
City State Zip .
College r rd)
SStudents' free speech doesn't include
talking dirty, lawyer tells high court
-----L - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
WASHINGTON (UPI) - A sexually
suggestive speech nominating a
teenager for student government was
disruptive, crude and vulgar and not
worthy of protection under the First
Amendment, a lawyer told the
Supreme Court yesterday.
While acknowledging that past high
court rulings have held students do
not shed their constitutional rights at
the schoolhouse door, William Coats,
representing the Bethel School
District near Tacoma, Wash., told the
justices that schools can regulate "in-
THE CASE began April 26, 1983,
when Fraser, then a 17-year-old
senior at Bethel High School,
nominated a friend for school office at
an assembly attended by some 600
students. The four-paragraph speech
used no obscenities, but school of-
ficials concluded it was sexually
suggestive and disruptive.
Typical of the speech was a portion
promoting the candidate by saying he
"is a man who will go to the very end,
even the climax, for each and every
one of you."
The speech was met by hoots and
hollers from the students and some
students simulated sexual acts.
THE SCHOOL district brought the
case before the justices in an effort to
overturn a March 1984 ruling by the
9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that
the punishment meted out to student
Matthew Fraser, including a three-
day suspension, for giving the speech
Attorney Jeffrey Haley, represen-
ting Fraser, argued the speech was
protected by the First Amendment
and noted that "sex is not a forbidden
topic for students" and is, in fact, of
great interest to teenagers.
"If sexual innuendo can be limited,
what cannot be?" asked Fraser, 20,
who is now a political science major
at the University of California at
Berkeley. "We need to make sure
students can give speeches some
might find inappropriate."
\1.l 10(0K ( )O J ))
$40 :E() 1
1.\1L 18 1 1 ()i
Sell Advertising for
I' re *1 rrYttr tlr
9 p.m. -6a.m.
on gold- rings from
Stop by and see a Jostens
representative this week to save on the
noidi rinn of voiir choice