TUESDAY, AUGUST 24, 1965
THE MICHIGAN DAILY
TUESDAY, AUGUST 24, 1965 THE MICHIGAN DAILY PAGE FIVE
# isf, w u a u
Feature rt, Music, Minerals, Zoology
Nearly 100,000 persons visited
University museums last year to
see exhibits ranging from an-
cient bones to a model of a
large part of the moon's surface.
For those who have never looked
into, the threatening jaws of a
mastodon or a water shrew, the
University Museum is the place
a variety of
two floors and a
The "Hall of Evolution," situ-
ated on the second floor, presents
the plants and animals of past
A skeleton of a "Duckbilled"
dinosaur has a scull weighing 250
pounds and attracts quite a bit
A mastodon, the best preserved
and most complete ever found in
Michigan, sits wearily on its
haunches waiting for visitors to
come up to it on the second
floor. Mounted proudly on the
right wall is a pterodactyl, an
extinct flying reptile, with a wing
span of almost 14 feet.
On the balcony, there is a
synoptic series of Michigan plants
Environmental influences af-
fecting the life and growth of
plants and animals are shown on
the fourth floor displays. There
are also displays on anthropology,
geology and astronomy along
with a planetarium.
New minerology displays have
been set up this year. The mu-
seum has also done much work
on a new ecology exhibit.
The University museum is not
the only one on campus which
has public displays.
The Kelsey Museum of Archae-
ology contains an extensive col-
lection from the Mediterranean
world and from the Near East.
Most of the relics on display
are from expeditions run by the
University. Seven expeditions were
sponsored by the University in
the first quarter of this century.
Between 1925 and 1936 two major
expeditions worked at Karanis in
Egypt and Seleucia in Iraq.
The exhibit shows artifacts,
photographs and models of these
Since the end of the war, an ex-
pedition from the museum has
been working at St. Catherine's
Monastery at Mt. Sinai in Egypt.
The monastery, built around 550
A.D. by Emperor Justinian, is of
particular importance because it
houses the only kxtown icons that
survived the eighth and ninth
century- iconoclast heresy. The
expedition is involved in photo-
graphic, work which when de-
veloped will be put on exhibition
in Ann Arbor.
During the past two years, an
expedition from the University
has been working in Egypt at
These expeditions supply the
Kelsey Museum with its extensive
displays. Jewelry, artwork, food-
stuffs, coins, glass, pottery and
writing materials can be found
throughout the two floors of the
The University also has many
displays of art which will greet
new and returning students this
A large variety of periods and
styles in art has been featured in
both special displays and the per-
manent collection at the Uni-
versity art museum.
This spring, 100 Contemporary
,Am~erican Drawings, an exhibition
The Stearns Collection
sical Instruments shows
instruments as an art forn
The collection, housed
second floor of Hill Aud
instruments of Renaissan
rope and the Far East wh
had more than just a fu
The collection includes+
ancestors of guitars with
layers of woodcarvings,
decorated and ornate inst
of 17th and 18th century
and Italy and strange inst
of the Far East.
Hard to Find
"Some instruments int
lection are hard to find
native countries today,"
tion curator Prof. Robert
of the music school notes
"We use some of the
ments in our concerts,"
Hettrick, assistant curato
The concerts, directed 4
Warner, are presented by
and students who play n
and Renaissance melodie
compositions use viols an
the viols being six- and
stringed instruments shat
of Mu- violins, but not closely related
musical to them.
M. An 18th century Italian viol-
on the the Viola d'Amore-is on display.
shows Hettrick notes its "tremendous
ice Eu- resonance" made possible by
len they strings that vibrate when other
nctional strings are played.
colorful Also shown are several tiny
h many violins used by dancing masters of
highly the 17th century. The master
ruments would take the tiny violin out of
France his pocket and use it in conduct-
ruments ing an orchestra.
In former centuries, there were
many freak instruments, Hettrick
remarks. One such instrument on
the col- disi5lay is a 19th century cane
in their clarinet. The idea was that a man
collec- taking a walk might get an urge to
Warner play a tune. If he had his cane
clarinet, he could stop and play.
instru- A French violin on display has
William a carved head of a man with a
r, adds. handsome beard. Some of the in-
by Prof. struments have had painting and
faculty many have intricate design work.
s. Their Tuba Ancestor
churches. An ophicheide from
Spain is serpent-headed and was
used for its terrifying aspect.
An old French horn on display
has a movable mouthpiece. By
changing the location of the
mouthpiece, the musician would
get different effects.
Beetle-shaped lutes of great
craftsmanship as the terobo of
17th Century Italy are also on
In the lobby of the Undergrad-
uate Library a small area is laid
aside as a museum. Lithographs,
photographs, engravings and
drawings are continually dis-
The exhibit is usually changed
every few weeks. The better ex-
hibits last year included graphic
works by such masters as Auguste
Renoir, Eduoard Degas, Pablo Pi-
casso, Ben Shahn and Henri
The graphic works come from
the University collections as well
as from Cranbrook Institute of
Arts and other museums in the
Ann Arbor area.
Among the instruments is a
French musical serpent, an an-
cestor of the tuba, used first in
When a Dinosaur Snarls, Snarl Back
Picturesque and Interesting-Kelsey Museum
brought to the students examples
of varied approaches to this
twentieth century art expression.
The art museum also holds ex-
change programs with Cranbrook
Academy of Art in which well-
known modern painting and sculp-
ture are displayed.
Its permanent collection con-
tains samples from Byzantine
bronzework to the rich and de-
tailed works of the Flemish mas-
ters. Modern pieces' such as Picas-
so's "Horse" and sculptures by
Jean Arp are also a part of the
T h e, University's collections
began with a former acting presi-
dent, Harry S. Frieze, who served
as curator of the collections until
his death in 1889. On a Euro-
pean trip he purchased a collec-
tion of engravings, photographs
to illustrate his lectures nn the
and copies of classical sculpture
Arts of Classical Antiquity.
. First Donation
The first important original work
was donated to the University by
alumni in 1862. It was a sculp-
ture entitled "Nydia," by the
American sculptor Randolph
Rogers, who spent his youth in
America and who later became
one of the leading figures in the
The University collections moved
from one building on campus to
another, until they were finally
established in Alumni Memorial
Hall on its completion in 1910.
In the meantime, almost 500
paintings by European artists of
the 19th century had been re-
quested by the University by Hen-
ry C. Lewis of Coldwater.
Collections of Egyptian antiqui-
ties of the first to third centuries
after Christ were expanded by
archaeological expeditions of Prof.
Francis W. Kelsey. They were the
beginnings of the Kelsey Museum
In 1946, the Museum of Art
became an administrative unit,
and the University embarked on
an acquisition program. The Mar-
garet Watson Parker bequest
provided for over 600 items to be
given to the University. This is
"the most important single col-
lection of works of art acquired
by the University to date," Prof.
Charles H. Sawyer, director of the
art museum says.
Recently, the museum's acquisi-
tion program was extended to in-
clude early Western art since the
Sixth Century A.D., Near and Far
Eastern art including India, but
with emphasis on Japan and
I l / IAEA
Make WAHSK your
for all your textbook
and college supplies
SERVING U OF M STUDENTS SINCE 1883
sponsored by the University, 1_
Goatfooted Lame Balloonman
come running to-
AftII rES DAY
Tired of booking?
Tired of wasting time?
Just plain bored?
Then come to
ACT! enIczu LA
and learn about clubs and