100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Download this Issue

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

This collection, digitized in collaboration with the Michigan Daily and the Board for Student Publications, contains materials that are protected by copyright law. Access to these materials is provided for non-profit educational and research purposes. If you use an item from this collection, it is your responsibility to consider the work's copyright status and obtain any required permission.

October 25, 1958 - Image 2

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Michigan Daily, 1958-10-25

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

TH FflCNIG AN DAILYV

legents Accept Gifts, Grants, Bequests

Welcome Homecomers

'U' Regents ISGC Forum

fessors James N. Morgan, Richard
Musgrave and Wilbur J. Cohen.
The third grant is for $24,850j
and is to be used for the analysis
of research and experimental pro-
grams that deal with youth and
delinquency. This will be under
the direction of Stephen Wtheyr
and Ronald Lippitt of the Institute
for Social Research.
A total of $139,613.41 was ac-
cepted from the estate of William
A. Spitzley, 1897 medical school
graduate, with $136,378.09 set for
the Dr. Charles B. de Nancrede
Memorial Fund and $3,235.38 for:
the Frederick G. Novy Fellowship
for Research in Bacteriology.
Back Public Health Research
The W. K. Kellogg Foundation
in Battle Creek made its first-year
payment on a five-year grant of
$31,460 for Dr. Hugh B. Robins'
research in public health practice.
Lawrence J. Montgomery, also
of Battle Creek, contributed $25.000
for the Lawrence J. Montgomeryt
Fund, which provides assistance to
deserving medical students so that1
they are able to further their edu-
cation or research.
The Regents accepted $15,100
from Elizabeth T. Allen from Flint,
which is the third contribution to
the principal of the George B.'
Allen Scholarship Fund, and $2,600
for a supplemental income contri-t
bution.
Contributes Scholarships
A total of $14,100 was receivedl
from General Electric Educational
and Charitable Fund, with $8,300r
for the G. E. fellowship in metal-
lurgy, $3,700 for the G. E. fellow-
ship in sociology and $1,600 for the1
G. E. scholarship fund.
The Ingham County unit of thec
American Cancer Society has given
$9,000 for the University Canceri
Research Institute.
Grants totalling $6,300 were ac-
cepted from Monsanto Chemical1
Company in the following sums: a
fellowship in the chemical andr
metallurgical engineering depart-
ment, $2,650; grant-in-aid to the
pharmacy college, $2,500; a schol-
arship in chemical and metallurgi-
cal engineering, $500 and a sum-j
mer research fellowship, $650.
For Metabolic Study r
Merch & Co. gave $5,000 to be,
used in the study of the metabolic
effects of a synthetic steroid Deca-j
drom under the direction of Dr.t
J. W. Conn.
From General Mills, Inc., the
Regents accepted $5,000 for a one-
year extension of a subscription to
the Industry Program of the engi-
neering college,
A grant of $5,000 was accepted-
from the General Foods Corpora-
tion Research Center, for a re-
newal of a fellowship grant in
support of research in the field of
food irradiation, under the direc-
tion of Prof. Lloyd F. Brownell.
Bell Foundation, Inc., has given
$5,000, with $3,000 for the Law-
rence D. Bell Scholarship in the
College of Engineering, and $2,0001
for the Robert J. Woods Memorial
Fellowship.
Give for Grosbeck Scholarship
From the estate of Alice B. Gros-
beck, the Regents accepted $4,700
for the Clarence E. Grosbeck
Memorial Scholarship.
The Michigan Heart Association
has made a grant of $4,500 for use
at the discretion of the dean of
the medical school.
Two grants totalling $4,100 were
accepted from Parke, Davis &
Company, $2,000 for pharmacology
research and $2,100 for tissue cul-
ture study.
Allegheny Ludlum Steel Corpor-
ation has made a grant of $4,000
for the corporation's fellowship in
metallurgy.
Accept Money for Flint
The Regents accepted $4,000
from the Sponsors Committee,
School District of the City of
Flint Cultural Center Fund, for
the Flint College instructional
fund.
Aurora Gasoline Company has
given $2,900 for eight Aurora Gas-

Oline Company scholarships.
From the Committee for Eco-
Iranian Guest
To Visit Here
Prof. Hessein Afshtan, of thet
University of Tehera n in Iran, is
currently visiting the University.
A professor of law, he will be
the guest of honor at a receptioni
at 4 p.m. today in Lane Hall, spon-E
sored by the Moslem Students'C
Association.
Prof. Afshtan arrived in Ann
Arbor on Tuesday and will beL
leaving tomorrow.s
U-

nomic Development, the Regents
accepted $2.500 for the Michigan
Business Executives Research Con-
ference.
Sterling-Winthrop Research In-
stitute. has given $2.500 for a
fellowship in pharmaceutical
chemistry.
Provide Pharmacy Fellowship
A fellowship in pharmacy will
be provided with $2.500 received
from the United States Pharma-
copoial Convention, Inc.
Bristol Laboratories. Inc., has
made a second payment amount-
ing to $2.500 for antispasmodic
research being conducted by Dr.
H. Marvin Pollard.
Armour and Company has given
$1,500 for toxicology research,
while the Samuel Higby Camp
Foundation has made the finalj
payment of $1,500 on a four-year
grant of $6.000 for the foundation's
scholarship in the medical school,-
A grant of $1.500 was also re-
ceived from the Scott Paper Com-
pany Foundation to cover first
semester payments on the founda-
tion's scholarship.f
Trinity Hospital Supported
Trinity Hospital, Detroit. Michi-
gan, has given $1.500 for the
Trinity Hospital Scholarship.
A statistical analysis of the anti-
biotic sensitivity records at Uni-
versity Hospital will be undertaken
with a grant of $1,100 from Abbott
Laboratories, with Fredric W.
Pullen, II, '59M, doing the study
under the direction of Dr. Walter
S. Callahan of the medical school.
Whirlpool Foundation has made
two grants totalling $1,000, with
$500 for a scholarship in mechani-
cal engineering and $500 for a
scholarship in electrical engineer-
ing.
Sprague Foundation Scholarship
Julian and Helene Sprague
Foundation has made a grant of
$1,000 for the foundation's schol-
arship.
Dr. Max A. Blumer, Pittsburgh,
Pa, has given $1,000 to establish
the Flora M. Prowdley Memorial
Loan Fund for students special-
izing in English Language studies
in the literary college, with prefer-
ence to women undergraduate stu-
dents.
The Regents also accepted $1,000
from Hills-McCanna Company for
the Hydraulic Laboratory Research
Fund.
A change in title was approved
for Prof. William Kerr of the en-
gineering college. His new title
will be professor of nuclear and
electrical engineering.

Give Leaves.
To Faculty
Several leaves of absence and
appointments were approved by
University Regents yesterday.
Prof. Wyeth Allen. chairman of
the industrial department was
given leave from Nov. 17 until Jan.
5 in order to visit Waseda Univer-
sity, Japan, in connection with
the establishment of an Institute
for Research in Productivity.
Prof. Ross Finney of the music
school was granted a month's
leave starting in January to com-1
plete two commissioned works for
orchestra.
To Direct School
A year's leave without salary
was granted Prof. Ernest McCar-"
us of the Near Eastern studies de-
partment. He will assume direc-
torship of the Arabic Language
and Area School at Beirut. Leba-
non, under a request by the For-
eign Service Institute of the State
Department.
Finn Michelson, instructor in
the engineering college, was
granted leave without salary for
the first semester of 1958-59. Hej
has been granted a National Sci-
ence Foundation Fellowship to
work on a doctorate in naval!
architecture.
Don Warren, research mathe-
matician in the Willow Run Lab-
oratories, was granted additional
sick leave through April.
Approve Committee Appointments
Six committee appointments
were also approved.
Prof. Phillip Jay of the dentis-
try school was appointed for a
three-year term to the school's
executive committee.
Dean Ralph Sawyer of the
graduate school was appointed to
succeed himself for three years
on the executive committee of the
Michigan Historical Collections.
To Serve on Committee
Dean Fedele Fauri of the social
work school was appointed for a
three-year term on the advisory
committee of the Mental Health
Research Institute.
Prof. Carl Badgley was named
for a one-year term to the Board
in Control of University Hospital,
as a representative of the com-
mittee on consultation.
Prof. Norman Miller and Prof.
Alexander Barry were appointed
to the executive committee of the
medical school for three-year
terms.
The Regents also approved the
appointment of Reinhold Rem-
mert of the University of Mun-
ster in Germany as assistant pro-
fessor of mathematics. Since Jan-
uary of this year, Remmert has
been a visiting lecturer at the Uni-
versity of Bonn.

To Discuss
Bobemians
Preventive warfare. Arab unity
and bohemianism will be discssed
at tomorrow's SGC forum, ac-
cording to Ahmed Bel-Khodja,
Grad.
Bel-Khodja, the Tunisian on
campus under the Foreign Su-
dent Leadership Program, as
planned the forum program in
conjunction with SGC's National
and International Committee, oa
which he serves.
One topic, he explained, is "I:
there such a thing as preventive
warfare? If so. can it be carried
out successfully in our modern so-
ciety?"
Barbara Ann Miller, '61, will in-
troduce the topic and present
background material, according to
Bel-Khodja.
"Assuming the Arab World must
be united to industrialize, is it
ready for this now?" will be pre-
sented for discussion by Bel-
Khodja.
Carol Holland, '60, will intro-
duce the topic "One cannot be a
Bohemian if it isn't in one's na-
ture."
The forum program, which Bel-
Khodja emphasized is open to all
to attend and to participate in,
will be held at 3 p.m. tomorrow in
the University Room of the Union.
O r ganizatiou
Notices
(Use of this column for an-
nouncements is available to offi-
caily recognized and registered or-
ganizations only. Organizations
planning to be active for the cur-
rent semester must register. Forms
avalabl 2011 Student Actlviti
Building.)
Folklore Society, Guitar workshops
(Series 2), Oct. 25, 2-5 p.m. Union, Pm.
3C.
S a
Graduate History Club, Oct. 27, 8:00
p.m., Rackham Bldg., W. Conf. Rm.
Speaker: Mr. George Dangerfield, "Per-
sonality in History."
Newman Club, Homecoming dinner
ad dance with band, Oct. 25, Dinner,
16:30 p.m., Dance 9-12 p.m., 331 Th~omnp-
son St.
Women's Rifle Club, organisational
meeting, Oct. 28, 7:15 p.m, WAB. FOr
Information, caul 345 Mosher.
Sigma Alph Eta Speech Correction
Soc., invites all students to open house
and tour of Speech Clinic, Oct. 27, 4:00
p.m., 1007 Huron St. Refreshments,
Everyone welcome.
*' * *
SGC - Public Relations Corn., Com.
mittee meeting. Interested students
welcome, Oct, 28, 4:00 p.m., 1548 BAB.
* * *
Lane Hall, reception in honor of
Prof. ossein Asshar of the University
of Teheran, Oct. 25, 4:00 p.m. for mis
lrn students. Friends are welcome.

I

-Daily-Allan Winder
JUNIOR EXECUTIVES - Ann Arbor youngsters, like the ones
pictured above, will line the streets before today's game and lure
homecomers' cars into makeshift parking lots on lawns, driveways
and empty lots. Enterprising parking attendants, with the help of
a large lot, can make enough to keep themselves well stocked with
candy and bubble gum until the next week's contest.
BROMAGE WRITES:-*
State Constitution Revisions
To Build Governor's Office

(Continued from Page 1)
other agencies within the govern-
ment of Michigan.
Any constitutional convention
meeting here now would be bound
to consider strengthening the gu-
bernatorial office. The process
took hold in other parts of the
United States about,10 years after
Michigan's 1908 Constitution,
Exponents argue that the secre-
tary of state, treasurer, and at-

torney general should be appoint-
ed by the governor; that the audi-
tor general might be named by
the Legislature for a long period.
A four-year gubernatorial term
and consolidation of executive
departments, boards and commis-
sions would be other devices to
employ.
Michigan has its own precedent
for a shorter November ballot. The
state's first Constitution, in 1935,
authorized the governor to name
the secretary of state, auditor gen-
eral, and attorney general with
the concurrence of the Senate.
The treasurer was appointed by
the Legislature. Only the governor
and lieutenant governor within
the executive branch were elect-
ed in the old days.

I

,y

J

Archaeologist Gives Lecture
About Terra Cotta Figurines

By GILBERT WINER
"The charming figurines of Ta-
nagra are of a type that has been
copied throughout the ancient
world, and their appeal for collec-

figurines were cast from molds and
reveal remarkable precision of
form.
Figures Represent Deities
Early Tanagrines represent ac-
tual female deities and were dedi-
cated to sanctuaries. They em-
bodied the general characteristics
of a goddess, but a specific goddess
could not be identified from exami-
nation of individual Tanagrines.
These statuettes found use as or-
naments, household goddesses and
other ritualistic devices.
This type of figurine originated
in the fourth or third centuries
B.C. and was found in the Greek
ocean village of Tanagra near
Athens. The local specimens of
Tanagra are a stylistic type which
spread to more distant regions.
These figurines have quite a
reputation for being forged. When
peasants, before 1870, discovered
them in graves and sanctuaries,
dealers were the first to exploit
these finds.
Popularity of these figurines was
enormous, and many dealers who
couldn't keep up the demand were
forced to reproduce hundreds more
from the original molds.
Museums Find Forgeries
Even the British Museum and
the Louvre have had to contend
with forgeries. Scientific tests,
nevertheless, dispel any doubt
about authenticity. In view of the
looting of the Tanagrian graves
in the late 1800's, there are only aj
few fine authentic statuettes still
in existence.
From a histroical standpoint,
there was an intimate relationship
between the artistic styles of Ta-1
nagra and Athens. Geography ac-
counts for much duplication in
sculpture.
In Tanagra, there was no notice-
able distinction between fourth
and third century figurines. In
Athens, the delicate, subtle detail
of the fourth century was lost to
decisively sharp, metallic detail in
the third century. Most distinctive
in both regions was a change in
subject matter. Earlier serene,
pensive women became involved in
daily actions like holding the baby
or carrying water jugs.

BROCADE PHOENIX:
Gift from Kyoto University Accepted

DOROTHY THOMPSON
.. . speaks on figurines
tors has been considerable," Dor-
othy Burr Thompson said yester-
day afternoon.
The archaeologist discussed
"Fact and Fancy at Panagra" at
a public lecture given under the
auspices of the classical studies;
department and the Ann Arbor
chapter of the Archaeological In-'
stitute.
Made from terra cotta, the fig-
u-ines of Tanagra are diminutive
statuettes. The brilliantly painted
-

PHOENIX. BIRD--This huge brocade was presented by the Institute for Chemical Research of
Kyoto University in Japan to Dean of the Graduate School Ralph A. Sawyer, director of the Phoenix
Project (left), and Prof. Henry J. Gomberg, associate director of the project. The gift was received
by University President Harlan Hatcher (right),

A gift from Kyoto University in
Japan of a silk brocade with a
colored figure of a Phoenix bird
was accepted by the University
Regents yesterday.
The eight-foot long, hand-woven
brocade was presented to Prof.
Henry J, Gomberg, associate di-
rector of the Phoenix Project, dur-
ing his recent visit to the Kyoto1
University Institute for Chemical
Research. The brocade is to be
placed in the Phoenix Memorial;
Laboratory.
Sankichi Takei, director of the

Kyoto Institute, made the gift in
the hope of promoting an inti-
mate friendship between the Insti-
tute and the University project
and to encourage the work of bothj
in the field of peaceful uses of
atomic energy. He also expressed
the hope that the work of the
Phoenix Project at the University
"will develop more brilliantly."
The 20-year-old brocade, the
only one of its design made, was
previously used as a symbol of a
textile company in Kyoto. Prof..
Gomberg also brought back a
small statue of the Phoenix bird
similar to the ones found in a
Kyoto temple dedicated to the1
bird.

Taket wrote that "the Phoenix
is a symbol of the immortal and
everlasting development of true
achievement of our endeavor to
break into new fields of human
welfare."
The presentation was made by
Prof. Gomberg and Dean of the
graduate school Ralph A. Sawyer,
director of the Phoenix Project.
At the acceptance ceremony, Uni-
versity President Harlan Hatcher
said the Regents were most happy
that the scientists at the Kyoto
University Institute are "Joining
with our scientists in exploring
the peaceful aspects of atomic
power."

Mothers of Gombergers,
WEEP!
For this morning your baby

ENDIP'JG
TODAY

,
';
i, ;

Late Show
Tonight 11 P.M.

I

NOW D~iaNO 8-6

| STEWARTGRANGE

5416

II

I

III

Back to Top

© 2017 Regents of the University of Michigan