100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Download this Issue

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

This collection, digitized in collaboration with the Michigan Daily and the Board for Student Publications, contains materials that are protected by copyright law. Access to these materials is provided for non-profit educational and research purposes. If you use an item from this collection, it is your responsibility to consider the work's copyright status and obtain any required permission.

April 13, 1898 - Image 1

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
Michigan Daily, 1898-04-13

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

! c . of

4k

VoL. VIII. No. 142.

ANN ARBOR, MICHIGAN, WEDNESDAY, APRIL 13, 1898

PRCE--3 CENTE.

. -

MICHIGAN LAW DEPARTMENT.
GROWTH OF THIS BRANCH OF THE UNIVERSITY AND
HOW IT HAS BEEN ACCOMMODATED

two pillared entrances project some dis- The ample vestibules are wainscoted,
tance before the main body between and their floors tiled with light Tennes-
then, and this part is itself several feet see marble, as are alo the fioors of the
in front of the large library addition to lobibtes into which they lead. There are
the right. The foundation and first nine large lecture rooms, the largest ac-

The New Building, Description of Its Features, Plans of the Floors, the
Time of Its Completion.
The Law Department of the Univer- but it is with the buildings in which
city of Michigan was organized in 1859, the department has been and is to be
eighteen years after the opening of the housed that this article is chiefly con-/
Department of Literature, Science and cerned. E
the Arts. The infant department was Immediately after the organization of
housed very modestly, the lectures and the department, an attempt was made'- -
sther department exercises being held to raise money for the erection of a
in the room then used as a chapel. building; after an unsuccessful attempt ))7
The library found accommodations in to solicit $10 000 from-the people of De-
t.he then general library. trait, $15,000 was appropriated by the
Thonas McIntyre Cooley, James Val-! Regents. In December, 1861, the con- D
entine Campbell and Charles Irish tract was let for the old portion of the
1-Lecture rout No, 6. 2-Lecture rose Not. 5. 3-Lecture room No. 7. 4-
Offices. 5-Hall. 6-Practice court. 7-Cloak room. 8-Reading rooms. 9-
Library. (Second Floor.)
- ". story are of smooth stone, the second commodating 400 students. These will
and third are of pressed brick with or- be ventilated by the most improved
namental brick work and terra cotta system which regulates frequcy of air
Atabout the numerous windows three change according to the number of per-
" oshades lighter than the main body of sons in the room. In the largest lecture
the brick. The hip roof is of brick, ex- hall the air is completely changed eight
Sept over the library, the roof of whose times an hour. There are numerous
Walker were chosen as the faculty and present building, and in March, 1863, it large central reading room is glazed. smaller rooms; one for the sessions of
the new department was opened with was accepted from the contractors, The The numerous windows in the front are the regents of the University, two read-

an attendance of ninety students. The-

tourI.e extended over two years of six
months each.
Since this modest beginning the Law
Department has steadily developed and
prospered. In 1884 the law term was
extended to nine months in a year, and
in 1886 the classes were separated for
purposes of instruction. In 1895 the
course was lengthened to three years
of nine months each.
The following table will show the
numerical growth of :the department.
From 1860 to 1887 the number in the
graduating class only is available; from
1887 to the present the figures in the
right hand column give the total num-
ber of students in the department:
Year. No. Students.
1860 ....................... 24
1861.. ....44
1862.. ..... ... 44
1863 .......... 48
1864 . .. . .. ......... .. 71
18651 .... ................. ..... 80
1866 ...... 109
1867 ..._. . . 146
1868 ...........................152
1869 ......................... .12
1870 ....................... .120
1871 ................... 117
1872.. ..............142
1873 . ... . ...123
1874. ................ 127
1875 ... ... .136
1876 .. ................... . 159.
tO77t.......... il12
187t............. .....148
1879.......191
1880 . ...... ..15
1884 .............:. ........140
1885 .................136
1887-88
1-9............ lit40
1006.... .114
1890-91 . .......... .....16587,
1891-92.... . ........651
1892-93.................625
1891-91 ........... 618.59
1894-98 .........................649
1090-96 ..............660
1896-00.. ....t7
1897-98. . ......698

/7/L F
G

CA)

ing rooms convenient to the library
where students may consult over their
cases, cloak rooms and offices, and
three society rooms for the accommoda-
tion of the flourishing debating and ora-
torical organizations of the department,
The rooms of the old building on the
left are not radically changed in their
arrangement, but their finishings are
of Georgia pine, and the halls and
rooms are deadened to facilitate quiet
study and work. There are two en-
trances on the east of the. building op-
posite those in the cut. When com-
plete the whole structure will be 20
feet long and 100 feet wide. It will en-
croach to such an extent upon the side-
walk now passing diagonally to the
main building that an entirely new con-
nection will have to be made.

1-Vestibule. I-Dean's private office. 7-bean's office. 4-Offices. 1-L-I~
ture room No. 1. 6-Hall. 7-Corridor. 8-Cloak room. 9-Lecture room No. 2.
10-Lecture room No. 3. 11-Lecture room No. 4. 12-Ante room No. 1. 13-
Ante room No. 2. 14-Regents' room. 15-Piazza. (First Floor.)

nes part of the presce building was suitably grouped and they are set with The plans of the flours are w,41 shown
added in 1891. This addition was made plate glass. (Continued on Second page).

on the north side of the original build-
ing, the north wall of which stood in
line with the present entrance. The
lecture room and library are just the
same now as they were before the build-
ing was enlarged, and the present law
library hoom was once the general li-
library room was once the general 11-
north of these rooms was built in 1851.
The addition now being constructed
will entirely change the appearance of
the building, and, as can be seen from
the accompanying cut, will make it a
beautiful and imposing structure.
A brief description'of the building in
its principal features follows:
The front is not a monotonously un-
broken one. The parts containing the

3
7 -
1-Society rooms. 2-Lecture room No. 9. '-Lecture room No. 8. 4-Hall.
5-Roof. 6-Roof. 7--Reading root, (Third Floor.)

Back to Top

© 2017 Regents of the University of Michigan