100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials may be under copyright. If you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact the Bentley Historical Library at bentley.ref@umich.edu

February 05, 1982 - Image 15

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Detroit Jewish News, 1982-02-05

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

THE DETROIT JEWISH NEWS

Status of Jewish Landmarks in Poland,
Communities Throughout World Reported

BY WARREN FREEDMAN

The eminent British
Jewish historian, Martin
Gilbert, having visited Po-
land in December, reports
the following facts:
There were more than
16,000 villages, towns and
hamlets in which Jews had
lived for centuries. East of
Warsaw is the riverside
town of Wyszkow where
thr. - are still memories of
ti. ewish partisans who
fougnt and perished.
At Treblinka, a memorial
field is covered in stones, on
each of which is inscribed
the name of a community
which was brought to that
evil place and destroyed. In
Bialystok, many of the large
Jewish houses are still
standing, and one memorial
records on a wall in Yiddish
and Polish the heroism of a
young Jew, Icchok Malmed,
who poured acid from his
top floor window onto the
heads of the Gestapo below.
7
In Siedice, east of War-
saw, there is an inscription
in the former Jewish mar-
ket, recording in stone the
deportation and destruction
of more than 17,000 Jews
(now called "Ghetto Fight-
- ers Square"). In Lukow,
tombstones have been col-
lected from the Jewish
cemetery and piled up in the
shape of a high pyramid as a
massive memorial, the last
note of piety when Lukow
Jews left their town forever
in 1946.
At Lubartow, there is a
regal lion buried in a soccer
field. At Wlodawa, the
former Jewish cemetery on
the present Soviet border is
submerged under the
municipal garbage dump;
yet here in Wlodawa there
stands a magnificent, brick
synagogue, its facade
crumbling but its roof intact
(the inside is being restored
including the replastering
of the fine baroque ark with
its screen of musical in-
struments).
At Tyszowce, every build-
ing of the old shtetl is intact,
from the rabbi's house to the
once much-praised Jewish
inn. In Zamosc, two "renais-
sance" synagogues survive
and are used as a youth club
and for municipal offices. At
Kielce, several synagogues
are being restored.

In Kolo, west of Warsaw;
the site of the synagogue is
marked only by a stone but
with no inscription. South of
Warsaw at Gora Kalwarja,
the home of the Gerer Re-
bbe the synagogue, is now a
5( of storerooms for fur-
and agricultural im-
plement.
In Szydlowiec, much of
the vast cemetery survives
with its magnificently
carved headstones.
In Przysucha, the 300-
year-old synagogue roof is
being repaired. In Checiny,
the synagogue building is
part public library and part
theater. In Pinczow, the
early 16th Century
synagogue with massive
walls and windows is care-
fully protected.
•.

At Dzialoszyce, the
famous 19th Century
synagogue's roof is collaps-
ing and the remnants of its
rare Italian paintings are
peeling away. The steps up
to the women's gallery are
in danger of collapse. At
Zawiercie, the cemetery is
intact because of the high
wall.
At Radomsko, the tiny
Jewish community buries
its dead in the local cemet-
ery. In Tarnow, all that sur-
vives of the great synagogue
is the bima which is in the
center of a public park. In
Lublin, the once vast
cemetery has lost most of its
tombstones.
* * *
In Belgium, the new De-
puty Prime Minister is Jean
Gol, the Jewish president of
the Liberal Party in the
province of Wallonia.
* * *
The International Survey
of Jewish Monuments
(ISJM) is a New York-based
group, organized to seek out
and collect photographic
evidence relating to Jewish
monuments, art and archi-
tecture.
Recently ISJM published
a 71-page guide," Jewish
Buildings and Cemeteries:
A Guide to Visual Re-
sources." The importance of
the work of ISJM is seen by
the fact that every day
throughout the world
synagogues and cemeteries
are being ravaged by neg-
lect as well as by urban
growth and urban decay.
Even valuable private col-
lections of photographs,
documents, folk art and
memorabilia are tragically
discarded by heirs.

The ISJM welcomes your
help: contact Dr. Sybil Mil-
ton of the Leo Baeck Insti-
tute, 129 E. 73rd St., New
York.
* * *
Recently organized in
New York is the American
Division of the World Fel-
lowship of the Israel Medi-
cal Association, the only of-
ficial branch of the Israel
Medical Association in the
U.S. The president is Dr.
Erwin Witkin of Baltimore.
Communications to
"IMA-USA" may be ad-
dressed to Dr. Isaac
Horowitz, 230 Inwood Rd.,
Fairfield, Conn. 06432.
Membership is open to'
licensed physicians and doc-
tors of osteopathic
medicine.
Doctors from all over the
world will convene in Israel
for a four-day session com-
mencing May 23 at the 12th
International Congress of
the Israel Medical Associa-
tion.

lished are the Cardiology
Department and the
Neurology Department (the
only one in Israel for re-
habilitation of brain-
damaged children). Bikur
Cholim Hospital handles
more than 60 percent of
Jerusalem's ear, nose and
throat treatments.

It's Time To Order invitations For Your
Spring and Summer Parties!
In Addition To Our Regular 20% Discount

AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER

be found in Syria; about
1,200 in Yemen and Aden;
600 in Algeria; 450 in Leba-
non; perhaps 250 in Egypt;
and 70 in Afghanistan, 10 in
Bahrain, 40 in Sudan and
about 300 in Iraq. Moslem
Jewry has migrated for the
most part to Israel.

Party Consultants

Offers Up To

300 PERSONALIZED NAPKINS

(this ad must be presented at time of order)

352-9323
29633 Franklin Rd. off Northwestern Hwy.

Hours: Tues.-Fri. 10-4 or for appt. call

I
V alentine
Velours,

Priests were the Jewish
doctors from the Exodus
until the destruction of the
Second Temple. By that
time the profession of
medicine had been de-
veloped. Incidentally, the
Bible is full of good medical
advice, to wit: the prompt
burial of the dead; the wash-
ing of hands before eating;
the salting of meat; etc., etc.

r worm-up suits in sofr
1. colors!
co o .

* * *
In 1945 there were sev-
eral million Jews dwelling
in Moslem countries, but
today less than 100,000 re-
main. It is believed that
40,000 Jews still live in
Iran; about 20,000 in Tur-
key; about 18,000 in
Morocco; and about 6,000 in
Tunisia.
Less than 5,000 Jews can

SE 'Corner Maple & Lahser
Birming.
:4 2.).7 4475

METRO MONEY-
MAKER IRA

• Advertised rate is good thru Feb. 15, 1982
• 20% rate paid for first 90 days of deposit—
Rate will be indexed to 26 -week money market
certificate for remainder of term
• $100 minimum deposit
• Make additional deposits as small as $10
• $2,000 annual limit ($2,250 limit for joint account
with non-wage earning spouse)
• Fixed rate also available (guaranteed for 18-30
months)
• Insured by FSLIC
Contact your nearest Metropolitan Savings office for
full details.

Federal regulations require a substantial interest and tax penalty for early withdrawal. Member FSLIC

)



METROPOLITAN SAVINGS

Farmington Hills 31550 Northwestern/851-0708 • Utica 45676 Van Dyke Road/731-4500
Dearborn 13007 West Warren/584-7650 • Beverly Hills-Birmingham 32800 Southfield/644-0440
Oak Park-Huntington Woods 25555 Coolidgei547-6400
Southfield, Tel-Twelve Mall 28658 Telegraph 358-4511
Northwest Detroit 19830 West Seven Mile Road 537-3400
Downtown. Detroit 139 Cadillac Square/963-7600 • Northland 22180 Greenfield,968-3000
Shelby 51111 Van Dyke Road/739-7200 • Avon, Great Oaks Mall 1266 Walton Blvd./656-1040

•;

"

"?

v

FREE

with an invitation order placed before March 31, 1982

* * *

Probably the oldest exist-
ing medical facility in Israel
is the Bikur Cholim Hospi-
tal, located in the heart of
Jerusalem at 3-5 Strauss St.
In 1925, Bikur Cholim left
its original home inside the
Walled City and moved to
the geographical heart of
Jerusalem. Recently estab-

Friday, February 5, 1982 15

4


4

4

Back to Top

© 2020 Regents of the University of Michigan