Wifred Shaw Gives Year By Year
History Of University Of Michigan
1937 Marked Centennial
Of Founding Of School
In CityOf Ann Arbor
(Continued from Page 6)
Professor of Physics, later Geology.
y 1855 - Detroit Observatory erected
as result of gift of $15,000 by citizens
in Detroit. A course in Civil Engineer-
ing established in connection with
Department of Physics. (Harvard was
the only other school in America hav-
ing a course of this kind). Henry Sim-
Mons Frieze appointed Professor of
1857-Andrew D. White appointed
Professor of History and English Lit-
erature, the first chair of History
in an American university. Old Chem-
'istry building erected, the first chem-
iftry laboratory erected in America.
1 859-October-Law School opened
with 92 students, with faculty com-
posed of Judge James V. Campbell,
Charles I. Walker and Thomas Mac-
. ?863-Jurie 23-President Tappan
dismissed from Presidency of Univer-
sity because of antagonism of certain
members of the Board of Regents.
Dr. Erastus O. Haven, formerly Pro-
fessor of Latin and English Litera-
t.ure, appointed to Presidency on same
day. First Law Building built. Stu-
dents numbered 652. Baseball first
played in the University.
; 1867-Latin and scientific course
established, substituting modern lan-
guages for Greek. Tax of one-twen-
tieth of a mill, yielding $16,000 an-
pually, granted by Legislature, pro-
yided a Professor of Homeopathy be
appointed. Regents refused to make
1868-Course in Pharmacy estab-
1869-Legislature granted Univer-
sity $15,000 for two years, as well as
accumulation resulting from the first
,act, with the Homeopathic rider
abandoned. This was the first appro-
priation received from the State,
outsie of the original $100,000. Fac-
,ulty salaries increased to the $2,000
originally provided for in 1857. Pres-
ident Haven resigned. Henry S. Frieze
appointed acting President. Legis-
jature voted $75,000 for erection of
mpain section of University Hall.
1870-January 5-Regents' estab-
lished co-education, through a reso-
lution that "no rule exists in any
University statutes for the exclusion
of any person from the University
who possesses the requisite literary
and moral qualifications." February
2-Madelon L. Stockwell of Kalama-j
zoo enrolled as first woman student
in the University. Certificate systemF
of admission from high schols estab-E
LIshed. First recorded game of foot-
1871-June-James Burrill Angell1
inaugurated President of the Univer-
sity. 1,110 students in the University.-
Faculty, 35. University income, $76,-
1875 - 1879 - Douglas-Rose contro-1
versy over discrepancy in books in
1875-College of Dentistry estab-
lished. Homopathic Medical College
1876-Pharmacy established as
separate department with Prof. Al-
bert B. Prescott as Dean.f
1877-English course established
-Legislature cancelled original Uni-
versity debt of $100,000.
1878-Athletic Association organ-
1879-University salaries reduced
following effects of panic of '73. Mu-
seum built. First chair in science
and art teaching in any American
university established, with William
H. Payne, as first professor.
1880 - Professor Frieze, acting
president during President Angell's
absence as U.S. Minister to China.
1882-Old Engineering s h o p s
erected (additions later).
1883-The old library erected
(torn down in 1918).
1887 - Fiftieth anniversary of
1888-Effort to remove Medical
Department to Detroit defeated by
1891-Main building of old Univer-
sity Hospital erected.
1892-Graduate School organized
in connection with Literary Depart-
1893-University mill-tax increased
from one-twentieth to one-sixth of
a mill. Ferry Field first opened to
1894-Waterman Gym erected.
Summer courses inaugurated.
3895-Tappan Hall erected. Col-
lege of Engineering established as a
separate department, with Charles E.
Green as Dean.
1897-Harry B. Hutchins, Dean of
the Law School, acting .President of
the University during President An-
gell's absence as Minister to Turkey.
Barbour Gym erected.
1899-Mill-tax increased to one-
1900-Homeopathic Hospital (now
South Hospital) erected. Regular
Summer Session established as sep-
arate division, with Prof. John O,
Reed as Dean.-.
1903-New Medical Building (now
Nest Medical Building) erected.
1904-Engineeng Building erect-
,d. Michigan Union organized. I
1906-Department of Architecture
established. Juge Cooley's home on
State Street purchased as Union club
1907-Phi Beta Kappa established
in University. Mill-tax increased to
1908-Dental building erected.
1909-Alumni Memorial Hall com-
pleted as result of gifts from alumni.
Dr. Angell resigns the Presidency.
Dean Harry B. Hutchins appointed'
acting President. Students number
1910-Chemistry building erected
Dr. Hutchins elected to Presidency of1
1911-Feb. 11-National dinner
held at Hotel Astor, New York Qity.
1912-Seventy-fifth anniversary of:
University celebrated at Commence-
1913-University Health Service
established. Graduate School estab-
lished as separate division of Univer-
sity, with Dr. Karl E. Guthe as Dean.
Hill Auditorium completed, .the be-
quest of Regent Arthur Hill, '65E.-
1916-Natural Science Building1
erected. Newberry and Martha Cookt
dormitories completed. April 14-3
President Angell died.t
1919-New University LibraryI
completed. New Michigan Union
1920-June 30-President Hutch-
ins resigns. July 1-Marion Leroyt
Burton became President of Univer-8
sity. Betsy Barbour dormitory com-t
pleted. October 14-Dr. Burton of-i
ficially inaugurated as President witht
three day educational conference.e
1921-Mill tax increased to three-..
fifths of a mill, to yield annuallyi
$3,000,000. Legislature also appropri-
ated $4,800,000 for building. School ofI
education established with Prof. A.
S. Whitney as Dean.
1922 - Engineering Laboratories
Building completed. Wliam L. Clem-
ents Library of American History, the
gift of Regent Clements, '82, dedi-
1923-Yost Field House on Ferry
Field completed, the first building of
its kind erected in any university.
1924-University High School and
New Physics Building completed. An-
gell Hall, the first portion of a larger
building for the Literary College
erected. Department of Business Ad-
ministration established, with Ed-
mund E. Day as Dean.
1925-February 18-President Ma-
rion Leroy Burton died. November 2
-Clarence Cook Little formally in-
augurated as sixth President. of the
University of Michigan. University
Hospital completed -at. a cost . of
$3,800,000. Lawyers' Club, gift of Hon.
W. W. Cook, TOL, of New York,
opened for occupancy. The New Medi-
cal Building completed. The Nurses'
(See Calkins-FletchAer's ad 1 t4)
Fill out this coupon (first, mid-
dle, and last names necessary)
and mail it with 25e in stamp to
324 South State St.
ANN ARBOR, MICH.
FULL NAME. ..........
Home, a gift of Senator James Couz-
ens, completed. Legislature author-
izes new museum and building for
College of Architecture. Limit placed
on annual return from mill-tax at
1926-Students in the University
number 12,690. Faculty, 701.
1927-The Simpson Memorial In-
stitute, given by his wife as a me-
morial to Thomas Henry Simpson,
dedicated. (Fall) New Stadium, seat-
ing 80,000 spectators, completed.
1928-The Michigan League, so-
cial center for women completed.
Hopwood Prize Fund established
through the bequest of Avery Hop-
1929-Resignation of President
Little accepted. University of Mich-
igan Press established. John P. Cook
Legal Research Building completed.
Oct. 4, 1929, Alexander Grant Ruth-
ven became President of the Univer-
sity. Bureau of Alumni Relations es-
1930-Mosher-Jordan Halls com-
pleted. Legal Research Institute cre-
ated. William W. Cook bequest re-
1931-University Council estab-
lished. Alumni Advisory Council or-
1933-Bureau of Government or-
1936-Division of the Health Sci-
1936--The Horace H. Rackham
School of Graduate Studies estab-
lished with an endowment of four
million dollars from the Horace H.
and Mary A. Rackham fund. Marion
L. Burton Memorial- Tower with the
Charles Baird Carillon erected. Regu-
lar resident students and summer
Session students number 13,047, Fac-
1937-The year 1937 marked the
conclusion of 100 years of the Univer-
sity's. existence, in Ann Arbor. To
commemorate this important anni-
versary the University held a five-day
celebration in June in which some 40
alumni speakers participated in a
general conference which dealt large-
ly with the future relationship of the
University to society in the next 100
years. Six thousand alumni returned
during the week for some part of the
program. Among the new buildings
authorized during the year was a
Neuropsychiatric Institute, as an ad-
dition to the University Hospital, and
two student dormitories, Allen House
and Rumsey House, built in connec-
tior with the Michigan Union. Dur-
ing the year which ended in June 1937
there were a total of 18,043 students
enrolled, of whom 11,339 were en-
rolled in the regular sessions of the'
University. The enrollment for the
State of Michigan was 6,419, or 56
per cent in the regular session.
8 NICKELS ARCADE
ANN ARBOR, MICH'.
K: l1 III - 11
Certainly unique in Ann Arbor and
found in few universities is the combi-
nation of an excellent swimming pool
3 nd oCmnlktplv omrnirn1 ttam