THE MICHIGAN DXILY
SATURDAY, DECEMBE~R 3, 1949
"O&A" " 1 11 - --- - -- - --- - -- - IM I -
University Hall Once Center of Gampusi
GER .||El%|2ml|2|22|jj$||||6$|62|||||25lii~lllM~iMNM6l2EliliElg~m g,
FORGOTTEN AUDITORIUM-Occupying nearly all of the upper floors of University Hall was a
large auditorium seating more than 3,000 people. Condemned as a fire hazard in 1930, the huge
room has gradually been dismantled until it is now a mere shell of its former splendor. Shown above
is the section of wall directly over the stage and rising to the dome of the building. At one time this
space was dominated by the pipes of the great Columbian Organ which was brought to the Univer-
sity after the World's Columbian Exposition in 1873.
COULD BE BETTER:
Open Houses Receive
Strong Student Support
By PETER HOTTEN
Pre-election open-houses for
candidates received overwhelming
support both from campaigners
and individual house chairmen
around campus, but in their opin-
ion provide plenty of room for im-
Most comment in a Student Leg-
islature survey was favorable,
with candidates preferring the
"speech" method of campaigning
rather than personalized mixing at
open houses. ,
ONE CANDIDATE commented:
"Open houses were especially valu-
able to me where the candidates
were given a chance to speak. If
nothing else, the exchange of ideas
At best, the open house sys-
tem enabled many students to
get a first-hand observation of
Taken off Dia g
BBB Enforces Rules
Clamping down on its diag dis-
play regulations, Student Legisla-
ture's Better Business Bureau this
week ripped nine illegal posters
from the display board.
BBB Chairman Lou Wirbel, '50,.
stated that the posters, including
several University department an-
nouncements as well as those of
well-known student groups, failed
to meet BBB standards and had
not been approved by the Bureau.
Wirbel pointed out that ap-
proval can be secured by con-
tacting the Bureau, which is
open from,.3 to 5 p.m. Monday
through Friday in the office of
In order to aid the University
enforcement of its rules requiring
official approval by the Office of
Student Affairs for all campus or-
ganizations, the BBB will not allot
poster space to groups which have
not been approved, Wirbel added.
for the Campus Area
222 Nickels Arcade Ph. 2-9116
the thinking and speaking
powers of the candidates, and
helped them to make a fairly ac-
curate evaluation of their com-
At its worst, the open houses
were "poorly organized and poorly
attended by both candidates and
* * *
BIGGEST GRIPE against the
general plan was that it was met
with too much student apathy. One
campaigner said that sometimes
the candidates outnumbered the
voters, and "if you figured out the
ratio it would have been outland-
ishly in favor of the candidates."
Several chairmen lamented
that they personally had to draft
potential voters to listen to the
A glaring complaint on candi-
dates' speeches was "Some of them
were afraid to repeat their own
ANOTHER added, "The trouble
with the 'speech' system was that
it gave candidates a better chance
to know their fellow campaigners
instead of the voters."
One idea to promote "bigger and
better" open houses was to com-
bine several residences so more
voters could get together. Other
campaigners suggested that each,
individual residence hold more
than one open house so more can-
didates could get together with
more voters. ,
An address by Prof. Charles E.
Hendry will highlight a confer-
ence of Michigan camp directors
and staff members today at the
DISCUSSION sessions to be held
this morning will deal with ad-
ministrative standards, health and
safety, personnel selection and
program planning. Reports of the
discussion groups will be made in
the afternoon meeting preceding
Prof. Hendry's address at 3 p.m.
The conference is under the
sponsorship of the Michigan
Camping Association and the Uni-
versity physical education depart-
Photos and Reproductions
All three major faiths will con-
duct programs, for the first time,
in the fifth annual Religious Em-
phasis Week to be held Dec. 3-8 at
Bowling Green State University,
Bowling Green, Ohio.
In the past only the Student
Christian Fellowship, an interde-
nominational group, has arranged
for the week, but this year other
sponsors include Zeta Beta Tau
fraternity; Lutheran Student As-
sociation and Unitarian Fellow-
* * *
PROTESTANT and Jewish
groups will furnish speakers and
the Newman Club, Catholic or-
ganization, will offer counseling
Among the speakers is Rev. De-
Witt C. Baldwin, acting director
of the Student Religious Associa-
tion at the University.
Out-of-town speakers will also
appear in chapel services, student
and faculty seminars, classrooms
and dormitory bull-sessions, as
well as in Bowling Green churches
and before civic organizations.
Tau Sigma Delta
Recently initiated into Tau Sig-
ma Delta, national honorary arch-
itecture and design fraternity,
were Robert VanSummern,
Charles Edison, Richard Millman,
Jim Marshall, Nathan VanOsdol,
Donald Edge, Terrence Bennett,
John Haro, William Jarratt, Leon-
ard Siegal and Frank Straub.
THE ORIGINAL DOME-When old University Hall was first
built in 1872 it was capped with a huge dome towering 60 feet
above the roof of the building. Two dapper students are' shown
above standing by the white picket fence which once encircled
Building, Famous In Its
DaV, Is Now For gotten
Quietly forgotten in the rush of modern University life, old Uni-
versity Hall stands as a gaunt tribute to the glorious day long ago
when it reigned supreme among campus buildings.
The aged building began its colorful career in 1871 when the
State Legislature appropriated $75,000 for its construction. Ground
was broken the same year and the cornerstone was laid by President
James B. Angell in 1872.
COMPLETED AT a total cost of more than $100,000, the build-
ing was to become the center of nearly all campus activities. Pre-
viously, many of the assemblies, lectures and commencement exer-
cises had to be held in local churches, for lack of space in any of
the existing University buildings.
Probably the most famous feature about old 'U' Hall was the
towering dome which capped the building. Rising 60 feet above
the roof and 140 feet above the ground, the dome was 30 feet in
diameter and was designed to support a statue.
In addition, the roof around it was adorned with two circular
corner turrets, two turrets at the base of the dome and balustrades
bordering the roofs of South Wing and Mason Hall.
FOR YEARS THE dome made 'U' Hall one of the most photo-
graphed buildings in the world but it was finally replaced with a
smaller round dome during the Christmas holidays in 1896 for prac-
tical reasons - over the protests of hundreds of sentimental alumni.
Commenting on the removal of the dome, a writer in the
October, 1899, issue of the "Michigan Alumnus" said, "The old
dome was romantic and lovable but in the practical duties of life
it was a failure."
"To watch it in the midst of the tempest was thrilling and in-
spiring; to sit beneath it at' such a time was damaging both to body
and raiment, and in some cases, we fear, to the moral character as
* * * *
DIRECTLY BENEATH the leaky dome was the auditorium which
seated more than 3,000 people. Boasting a stepped up main floor and
a gallery surrounding the huge room, the auditorium played host to
such famous personalities as Theodore Roosevelt, William Jennings
Bryan and Madame Schumann-Heink.
Originally filled with straight-backed benches, the auditorium
was refitted with opera seats in 1899. The luxury of these new ac-
commodations was expressed by another author in the "Michi-
gan Alumnus" who wrote, "Now it is possible for patrons of the
Lecture Association and of the Choral Union to enjoy the addresses
and concerts without receiving at the same time some of the old
Puritanic thrills induced by the stocks and pillory."
The most valuable asset of the auditorium was the great Colum-
bian Organ which was built for the World's Columbian Exposition
in 1873. It was secured for the University through a subscription
campaign among alumni and townspeople.
UNIVERSITY HALL was also the center of campus religious ac-
tivities until late in the last century, a 550-seat chapel being located on
the north side of the main floor.
When chapel services were discontinued at the end of the
last century the room was used for class meetings and assemblies
and later transformed into the offices of the Dean of Students and
Across the hall were the President's offices, later incorporated
into the business offices. It was in this room that receptions were
annually held for the senior class at which students danced, from
1873 until 1877, when religious bodies objected.
A pavilion was then built on campus for dancing but the parties
were resumed in 1882, growing into the custom of a Senate Reception,
* * * *
WITH NEARLY ALL of the ancient electrical wiring completely
exposed, 'U' Hall was long considered a real fire hazard. The auditor-
ium was finally condemned in 1930 and since then the third and
fourth floors have been closed off by fire control officials.
Wrecking crews began tearing out the insides of the building
this year, until the old auditorium and the upper floors are mere
shells of their former splendor.
Eventually a Legislature appropriation will provide funds to com-
plete the destruction of 'U' Hall, a job which time and the tramping
of thousands of students could not accomplish. It will forever hold,
however, a cherished spot in the history of the University and in
the hearts of many alumni.
Students Offered Commission
PRIDE OF THE CAMPUS-For years University Hall was the center of nearly all campus activi-
ties, housing the administration offices, a chapel, an auditorium and several classrooms. It was
long considered one of the country's most beautiful buildings and was painted and photographed
hundreds of times. It is shown above before it was completely overshadowed by the erection of An-
gell Hall. The round dome topping the building replaced the majestic but leaky original dome in 1896.
Read and Use Daily Classified Ads
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
512 East Huron
Rev. C. H. Loucks, Minister and Student
Roger Williams Guild, 502 East Huron
10:00 A.M.: Bible Study Class. First Samuel.
11:00 A.:M.: Morning Worship. Sermon, "Chris-
tian Giving" by Rev. Loucks.
6:00 P.M.: Guild Program. Cost Supper fol-
lowed by a special Christmas Worship Pro-
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
W. P. Lemon, D.D. and W. H. Henderson,
Maynard Klein, Director of Music
Mildred Beam, Director of Church School
9:30 A.M.: Westminster Guild Bible Class.
Coffee and rolls at 9:00 A.M.
10:45 A.M.: Morning Worship. Dr. Lemon's
Advent Sermon Topic-"A Voice of Gentle
5:30 P.M.: Westminster Guild supper followed
at 6:30 P.M. by Student Panel on "Abundant
7:45 P.M.: Young Marrieds will hear Dr. Lemon
speak on "What Is Coming in Religion."
MEMORIAL CHRISTIAN CHURCH
(Disciples of Christ)
Hill and Tappan Streets
Rev. Earl Grandstaff, Acting Minister
Howard Farrar, Choir Director
9:45 A.M.: Student Class.
10:50 A.M.: Morning Worship, "Amos, up to
Date." Nursery for children during service.
GUILD HOUSE: 438 Maynard Street
H. L. Pickerill, Minister to Students
Jean Garee, Associate-
Student Guild, 6:00Supper at the Memorial Chris-
tian Church. A drama entitled "Hail, The
King" will be presented by members of the
GRACE BIBLE CHURCH
State and Huron Streets
Harold J. DeVries, Pastor
9:15 A.M.: "Your Radio Choir" WPAG.
10:00 ,and 12:00 A.M.: Bible School sessions.
11:00 A.M.: "Promise of Dawn."
6:30 P.M.: Grace Bible Guild Supper.
7:30 P.M.: Rev. Robert W. Fischer of Pontiac,
FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
Minister, Leonard A. Parr
Student Work-H. L. Pickerill; Jean Garee
Music--Wayne Dunlap; J. Bertram Strickland
9:30 and 10:45 A.M.: Church School.
10:45 A.M.: Nursery for small children is being
10:45 A.M.: Public Worship. Dr. Parr will preach
on "The Glory and Weakness of The Church."
3:30 to 5:30 P.M.: Annual Open House and Tea.
6:00 P.M.: Guild meets at Memorial Christian
Church. A Christmas drama, "Hail, the King"
will be presented.
BETHLEHEM EVANGELICAL AND
423 South Fourth Avenue
Rev. Theodore R. Schmale, Pastor
Rev. Walter S. Press, Pastor
Irene Applin Boice, Director of Music
FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST, Scientist
10:30 A.M.: Sunday Morning Services in the
ballroom of the Michigan League building.'
Dec. 4-God is the Only Cause and Creator.
10:30 A.M.: Sunday School.
8:00 P.M. Wednesday: Testimonial meeting.
A free Reading Room is maintained by this church
at 211 East Washington St., where the Bible .
and all authorized Christian Science literature
may be read, borrowed, or purchased.
This room is open daily except Sundays and holi-
days from 11:30 A.M. to 5 P.M., on Saturdays
to 9 P.M.
UNIVERSITY LUTHERAN CHAPEL
AND STUDENT CENTER
1511 Washtenaw Avenue-Phone 5560
(The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod)
Rev. Alfred T. Scheips, Pastor
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 4, DEDICATION SUNDAY
OF NEW CHAPEL AND CENTER
9:30 A.M.: Communion Matin Service. Sermon-
ette by Candidate for the Ministry Edward
Wessling, of St. Louis, Mo.
10:30 A.M.: Festival Service, with sermon by the
Rev. Reuben W. Hahn of Chicago, Executive
Secretary of the Student Service Commission.
4 :00 P.M.: Dedication Service,. with sermon by
the Rev. Oswald Hoffman of New York City,
Director of Public Relations. Rite of dedication
by the Rev. A. Zeile of Saginaw, President of
the Michigan District.
9:15 P.M. Tuesday: Social Hour.
6:00 P.M. Friday: Married Couples Dinner.
8:00 P.M. Friday: Annual Christmas Party.
VILLAGE CHURCH FELLOWSHIP
University Community Center
Willow Run Village
Rev. J. Edgar Edwards, Chaplain
John R. Hertzberg, Director of Sacred Music
10:45 A.M.: Divine Worship. Sermon: "God and
Man in Covenant Relationship."
10:45 A.M.: Church School and Nursery.
4 :30 P.M.: Study and Discussion, "Christian Be-
haviour." Leaders: Dan Kirk, Marie Bedient,
5:30 P.M.: Fellowship Supper.
FIRST UNITARIAN CHURCH
h...........................t.r....lt' ................... ........ .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ................. ........... . . ..... ..........
... 6 _
.......... ...............o........ :1t:...................:.:. ... : .
1 1 .
1917 Washtenaw Avenue-Phone 2-0085
Rev. Edward H. Redman, Minister
10:00 A.M.: Adult Group-Prof. Charles Steven-
son on "What About Values". First in a series
of discussions on "What is Character?"
11:00 A.M.: Services-Rev. Edward H. Redman
preaching on "The Morality of the Bible
6:45 P.M.: Unitarian Student Group at the
Church. Talk by Bahram Farman Farmaian
on "Iran Today."
ST. ANDREW'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
For the first time in history, the
Michiganensian is offering ten
cent commissions for each 'Ensian
sold by any student on campus.
Although 'Ensians have been on
sale for nearly a month, there is
still need for many more student
"WITH THE biggest and best
,- -cin in a-r fth rl nr .nv
pect to break all sales records,"
Neale Traves, '52, promotions
"One woman student has al-
ready made more than $13 in com-
missions," said Traves, "and we
have yet to start our real winter
Students interested should apply
by nhanp mnr in n,.cn to ha -h1
No. Division at Catherine
S-10 u .
Morning Worship. Sermon by Rev.
"The Christ of Judgment."
Studnt Guild. Suoner. Wvm Pric
8:00 A.M.: Holy Communion.
9:00 A.M.: Holy Communion (followed by Stu-
dent Breakfast, Canterbury House.)