100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Download this Issue

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

This collection, digitized in collaboration with the Michigan Daily and the Board for Student Publications, contains materials that are protected by copyright law. Access to these materials is provided for non-profit educational and research purposes. If you use an item from this collection, it is your responsibility to consider the work's copyright status and obtain any required permission.

October 12, 1941 - Image 13

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Michigan Daily, 1941-10-12

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

: .. , n .

CENTENNIAL w LITERARY SCHOOL
SUPPLEMENT adl r aANNIVERSARY
ANN ARBOR, MICHIGAN, TUESDAY, OCTOBER 14, 1941
Literary College Celebrates Centennial
Specialization Today And Yesterday: One Hundred Years Of Education First Classes
Marks Trend Of University
Of Instruetion Met Ini 1841
Two Professors Initiated
Course Of 14 Subjects 'eWctingStaenOSt t,
. . .With Seven Students,
In Original Curriculum.
IOin C r uInitiated First Session
Emphasis In 181a 5:30 A.M. Chapel
Put On Classics Greeted Scholars
From a faculty of two to a teach- "To rwbhfutadu
Tomorrow both faculty and stu-
ing staff numberi g in the hun- dents of the College of Literature,
dreds;, academic tutelage in the Science and the Arts will take a
literary college has followed an day off from classes and studies to
increasingly specialized pattern of- awthe progress of a century
i re a sim ng ly se cl iz d psince classes first convened at the
departmental evolution. University of Michigan in Ann
The first two professors, the Rev. .' Arbor.
George Palmer Williams and the S Exactly 100 years ago this fall
Rev. Joseph Whiting, were requir- seven students - comprising the
ev. osteh mn r eqr- total enrollment of the University
edt$ec lmetr n d -took up their studies here. In
vanced courses in a variety of sub- mark cotrstdte Lerary
jects marked contrast, the Literary
jects Class of 1945 is over 1,100 strong,
Greek, Latin, algebra, gepmetry, {{while the total enrollment is 10,-
botany, zoology, chemistry, phil- .270.
osophy, geology, calculus, psychol- "_ -- _ There were only five buildings
ogy, logic, economics and political The contrast between the simplicity and smallness of the University's beginnings and its present on the forty-acre campus at that
science-imagine a professor of standing as a great and respected educational institution is shown in this picture in which modern timeanr ofhese were p
day dividing his teaching time Agl alsad ndrc otatt h neslni ao ai fessors' residences. The students
among these diversified subjectsn. Angell Hall stands i direct contrast to the once splendid Mason hall. oot only went to class in Mason
Add New Professorships (~ Hall but also lived and studied
As the size of classes grew, new 1 there. The building is still in
professorships were added, and Nl ationalD eensortR ec W ood-Sawing use, forming the north wing of
by 1846 seven one-man depart- st rUniversity Hall. One of the other
ments had been organized.t roriginal buildings-the President's
These included the departmentsahome-is being used today.
of languages, mathematics, phil- A-L---- A Physical Plant Described
osophy, zoology and botany, chm- As the University of Michigan vented a recurrence of the out-. tletic E vent ' On August 10, 1841, the Michi-
istry, modern languages, and the celebrates its centennial annivers- break. The cause of these troubles gan State Journal, published in
combined department of logic, ary in a world that is once more at has always remained a mystery for Ann Arbor, described the physical
rhetoric, and history. war, it should be interesting to see the very students who booed down First Cricket Team At plant thus:
After the appointment of Dr. what the pages of history reveal the speakers were less than a year Un.i"The main building is four
Tappan to the presidency of the about the effect of a national war later fighting for the same cause. University Sanctioned stories high, built of brick, hand-
college in 1852, the department of effort on campus life, There were in the University at As First Real Sport .omely and durably stuccoed so as
ancient languages was divided in- This so-called ivy-covered aca- the time of the rebellion two to give it very nearly the appear-
to the seParate departments of demic tower hasn't escaped from Southern students, but nothing Gary Ghosts and One-Man ance of Quincy granite. Besides
Latin and Greek. , the three wars that the United of their actions or opinions has uangs were unknown back in 1846 this, four professors' buildings of
At this time the chair of fine States has fought since its found- come down to us. What we do when the University's main ath- same materials are finished. More
arts was established, but soon dis- ing without feeling its share of know is that from the moment letic activity consisted of "sawing classical models of a more beauti-
appeared from the catalogues, not repercussions and responsibilities, the firing of the first shot on Fort our own wood and carrying it ful finish cannot be imagined.
to reappear for fifty years. without knowing well the sacrifices Sumter the University threw it- upstairs." They honor the architect, while
ThedRev. Charles Fox was ap- involved. rselfwholeheartedly into the war Literary School students, and they beautify this already beauti-
pointed profeusor of agriculture. effort tiful village "'
by President Tappan, but since Campus In 1918 - they were students, of a century I the . . .
Picture, for instance, the cam- The Spanish-American War af- ago were not presented with five In the early years of the U-
steps -toward a ' college of agri- pus of 1911 when fraternity houses fected the campus no more than tickets to the home football games versity it took a rugged type of
culture, the department existed less ere barracks, when Barbour Gym- (Centinuei o Poge 71 for their athletic development. student to last out the four years,
than a year t e nasium was a 'Hostess House' and Two-old-cat, wicket ball, and for the rising bell was rung before
when studying definitely ranked jumping wickets sufficed for Mich- the sun came up every day. There
Prof. Winchell Came In 1843 elow almost any miitary activity tm igan's muscle until 1865 when were chapel services at 5:30 a.m.
In 1843 Alexander Winchell as worthy of acclaim. Uniforms (' cricket was recognized as the first and classes at 6:30 a.m. And this
came to Michigan as professor of were the order of the day, and, in- Is Century Old organized University sport. all before breakfast! Other reci-
physics. but within two years was deed, the average student had 13 . The English pastime also tations were held after the stu-
transferred to the chair of geology, hours of drill a week in contrast to orought about another first-the dents had eaten a hearty meal.
zoology and botany, s the one hour that ROTC basics 6 Presidents Have Lived original Regent's athletic appro- Students Worked Hard
A graduate of the University of now look upon as plenty.i *pito f5 olr o rce They worked hard and had few
Berlin, Dr. Franz F. E. Brunnow, nwlo pna lny In Building Since 1841 priation of 50 dollars for a cricket Te okdhr n a e
was elected professor of astronomy The Union was the mess hal n round. Other hybrid sports soon recreations or sports, except for
wa e p er4o and general headquarters of wpat ollowed, including inter-class foot- informal contests in jumping,
Thron ghthe efforts of Andrew amounted practically to a military Oldest building on the Michigan ball contests with 100 to 150 men lifting dumbells, and foot racing.
D. Whig, professor of history and training camp. President Angell's campus and the sole survivor of in each side chasing a pigskin However, even then the students
English literature in 1857, that de- house became a Red Cross center, four professor's homes erected in over campus. relaxed at times and played pranks
divided into the two and faculty women spent most of 1841, Dr. Ruthven's residence has Not until 1863 did the Univer- on the townspeople and the pro-
unrelated wadiries which ex- their time in Red Cross work. housed six University idt sity authorize a-team to represent fessors Geese and donkeys often
st today Many Died Overseas Ann Arbor in outside competition. appeared in strange places and
Since its construction a century With a diamond laid out on the once a wagonload of wood turned
made under the leadership of Silas ties weren't confined to the cam- ago, the rambling white house on north-east corner of campus, the up on the roof of ason Hall.

H. .Douglas, who came to the Uni- pus for many of them fought and u nvriy a ae nnwy cetd bsbl ie Ams l te eatet
H.i Douglas w cmer to t dr he te fougt ad wings, parlors, and extensions un- spread terror throughout the and colleges of the University have
v'ersity in 1841. Under his leader- died overseas. The one outfit that til it bears little kinship to its two 'egbrn ae.Mihanwn rncdoffomteClgef
ship true laboratory work was gra-! was made up predominantly of iltbes tlekshptittw - Neighboring area. Michigan won branched off from the College of
dually introduced until Michigan University men was in charge of story, two-room embryo. The the state championship in 1867 by Literature, Science and the Arts at
dally intruce r untMchgans Uerity e wras iuns wche od private woodshed has disappeared lefeating the Detroit Champions, some time in its history. Begin-
had in its early years the largest the giant railroad guns which did along with a special fence to pre- 70 to 18, using underhand, straight ning with a curriculum of mathe-
chemical laboratory in any Ameni- so much damage to German tom- vent intermingling of professors' ampthn ihu aldmteGekadLtntuh
can university. munications. Over 60 per cent of ggarm pitching without c a1e d matics, Greek and Latin taught
Within the department of phil- these men received commissions livestock with the student body. strikes. by two professors, the College has
osophy was developed the special and practically all the others were But the comfortable old man- Although baseball was well-or- since expanded to such an extent
chair of psychology, headed by non-commissioned officers. siop was no Buckingham Palace ganized during the 1860's, football that it may now properly be called
Prof. Walter B. Pillsbury, who back in 1852 when idealistic Henry did not outgrow its Indian lacrosse the "mother" of the University.
Prof. alten r Pillsbury wh in Other wars, requiring less ef- Philip Tappan moved in as first stage until 1876 when the Rugby The College of Engineering
structor in the subject. fort of a then smaller institution, president of the University of gane was introduced. But intra- the Graduate School and the
The department of political ecisproduced less effect oni campus life, Michigan. Two stories of brick- mural athletic riots still persist- schools of Education, Pharmacy,
onomy, later to become the econ- but still managed to liven up the ad-stucco, a private cistern, and ed, and forty-two sophomores Business Administration, Music
omics department, was established place little. Shortly before the a barn were the sum total of its were defeated by eighty-seven and Forestry and Conservation all
in 1887. Civil War an attempt by an aboli- livability. freshhmen during the same year. were fostered by the literary col-
Sociology was first offered in a tionist to speak here caused a near Although Erastus Haven added The Seventies were an import- lege.
separate department in 1899, un- riot, and a month later only the a third story in his five-year term ant decade in Michigan athletics, For instance, when the Engin-
(Continued on Page 2) presence of President Tappan pe- (Continued on Page 2) (Continued on Page 4) ' (Continued on Page 3)

Back to Top

© 2021 Regents of the University of Michigan