100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Download this Issue

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

This collection, digitized in collaboration with the Michigan Daily and the Board for Student Publications, contains materials that are protected by copyright law. Access to these materials is provided for non-profit educational and research purposes. If you use an item from this collection, it is your responsibility to consider the work's copyright status and obtain any required permission.

March 19, 1941 - Image 14

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Michigan Daily, 1941-03-19

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

M IGMT THE MICHIGAN DAILY THURSDAY, MARCH 28 1941
30,000 Patients Treated Each Year
Geographers Aid State
orkcing through the regular extension channels, members of
t ae Ea!Fraphy department provide considerable service to the
Sta of Michigan in the study of natural resources and their .
Cera period of many years the staff has been in the process
of -tiering data relative to Michigan. Such material is col-
let,'. from many different sources and to a large degree in the
fied
+ gathering, analysis and presentation of such material
reqce: cooperation with several other state agencies, notably
th .ie g of Agr'iculture at at Lansing, the.Slate Department
fCerratior and other state bureaus and divisions. Excellent
wo arrangements have been made with these divisions.
ough the Field Camps under the Summer Session stu-
den are trained in systematic land inventory and classification
Z-d ry out surveys, the results of which are made available to
or , trot 's in the Michigan Academy of Science. Arts and
nministrative groups. Work is done in cooperation with
Le a . nd much Michigan work is published by the Academy.
a period of more than twenty years the department has
cooirhuted considerably to the solution of land use problems in
the ye and has been involved in the formulation of policies
and _ _ans.
eliogg Foundation Brings
Dentists Back To School
One the newest of the Uni- According to the plans of the
versi health service buildings donors and the faculty of the
is the IK. Kellogg Foundation School of Dentistry, the Institute
Instit a for Graduate and Post- is operated as a center for grad-
goadue a Dentistry, constructed in uate instruction in dentistry and
193, tc expand the facilities of the is contributing by its influence
dental division. to undergraduate instruction in Eighth largest hospital in the The hospital now possesses one 1 "hFa
Paid for in part by donations the School. coutntry. the University Hospital of the few blood banks in the state-fpgu efpriaw
frm .o W. K. Kellogg Fund and Regular Teaching Staff treats upwards of 30,000 patients sobers different types of blood are
in part by a $535,000 PWA grant, Teaching is conducted by mem- each year. kept under a constant refrigerated Are Removed
the Graduate Dental School boasts bers of the dental faculty, mem- Under the administrative direc- temperature.
equipment which can be equalled tion of the University and headed Many Kinds Of Patients The University Speech Clinic
in ons- a few universities in the bars of the postgraduate teaching by Dr. Harvey A. Haynes, the hos- Unlike the hospitals of most uno- is one of the few of its kind in the
United States staff, and by others who partici- pital has a total of 1330 beds. versities, the University Hospital is country which offers a wide range
Back To School pate in the instruction of graduate Several classes of patients are a general hospital, capable of han-
At the University, postgraduate dentists in the newer phases of admitted to the hospital: indigent dling any type of case and is self-
adults whose expenses are met by supporting. The funds come from agnosis and correction, Prof. H. H.
instruecton in dentistry had been the science. art, and practice of their counties; indigent children, paying patients and from the Bloomer, its director points out.
fermed for manyfyears so far a gtheir d profession.lTheo eK.neKel-cared for by state funds; patients treasuries of the counties and state The Clinic has the use of the
the medi ie fu transferred from state institutions whose patients are treated. A dental clinic, the Health Service,
School permitted. In 1937 the furnish funds which will greatly and the State Tuberculosis Hospi- "teaching" hospital, it affords an and the University Hqspital to
W K. elogg Foundation provid- augment the salary budget of the tal; state-supported crippled chil- opportunity for University medi- treat student cases and cases from
ed. fluna which greatly amplified University available for postgrad-
dren, employees of the hospital, cal students to obtain experience. within and outside the state. The
the to ising facilities, but this ute teaching in dentistry, patients referred by physicians Assisting Dr. Haynes are Dr. Al- treatment of more than 250 per-
instruc onsas distinctly limited The three story building includes and students of Ypsilanti Normal bert C. Kerlikowske, Mr. Robert sons per week provides an oppor-
in its anpe. facilities for almost every phase Colloga sod the University of Greve and Mr. A. B. Cook, all as- tunity for an extensive program
Readg the need for such of dental study and research., Michigantat directors. of research.
teach' . dentistry. and the in- The value of the Institute to the
adeu m" - existing facilities for people of the state, according to -
the w the Foundation. in co- Dean Bunting of the Dental --
operat with the faculty of the School, becomes strikingly appar-
Schoo aDentistry, formulated ent when the great dental service
the id of erecting a building de- rendered by its students is recog-
signed .:cihat purpose. nized.
Dentist For 12,00W Earn Our Congratulations
An tral part of the greatemateials being the only cost to
ice center of t e Uni- students
ve e School of Dentistry, All studentsbe coe eligdble to
5st sleW.K. tel og Insti-ryeccivethe beiefitsofthayDental
u e 1a serve moe tiha sSchool iaaedia ote alftecshey
2 ''ents aAtensng school hayveeUisteredsiytniveacaty.d e
on c.. . aiAside froimatcat, patients froim
rn.the Dental ihnol arandevein 11lparts couhestalcyare
of e c ervices of conmptent serocd swlenesver the Denatal 5'x r x,
to AdntoiiryundertheSchoolrs servicesereoddhtosbeu
upa- woextre mely kilful unusually heptul oi even eces-
104 Yari v
PROGRESSIVE SERVICE ! Knowledge- Beauty - Strength- Progress
'teamod theUniersty o Mihign on oftheAll qualities if te University of Michigan and all rep-
most outstanding universities in the country eseited in thise building.I
cnd we re proud to extend our hertiest con_

ratulations. Jacobson's, too, boasts the same qualities. Knowledge
of the latest styles, beauty in selections of clothes, and
it has always been one of the most progressive women's
74k 61Czateih C ,t(rn stores in Ann Arbor.
SHOP
o round the corner naState
SyacialistS in A pparel for the Discriminating Woman.

v

Back to Top

© 2021 Regents of the University of Michigan