100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Download this Issue

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

This collection, digitized in collaboration with the Michigan Daily and the Board for Student Publications, contains materials that are protected by copyright law. Access to these materials is provided for non-profit educational and research purposes. If you use an item from this collection, it is your responsibility to consider the work's copyright status and obtain any required permission.

September 20, 1938 - Image 30

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Michigan Daily, 1938-09-20

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

THE MICHIGAN DAILY

TUE SDAY,

Y Change

Sunier T erm
Attended By
Record Group
Meanwhile Two University
Women Make History
On RiverExpedition
The 5,771 students who attended the
45th annual Summer Session of the
University not only established an all-
time high in Summer Session enroll-
nents but enjoyed recreational and
educational opportunities which com-
bined to make it a vacation and a
valuable educational experience for
_.__.them.
_ hWell attended were the lectures and
meetings sponsored by the special In-
_ stftutes and Conferences, carrying on
their activities in conjunction with
hclassroom work. The Institute of ar
Eastern Studies, the Linguistic Insti-
tute, the Physics Colloquium and the
Graduate Conference on Renais-
sance Studies all drew their quota of
nationally and internationally fam-
ous lecturers.
With approval by the PWA of a
University request for $945,000 to start
a $2,100,000 dormitory building pro-
gram, great strides were taken to-
ward alleviation of the growing hous-
- ing problem on campus. Dormitories
for 1,000 men will be provided by the
program. Eight hundred and fifty
men will be housed in an addition to
the present Union group and 150 will
be housed in a medical dormitory to
be constructed at Catherine and
S Glen Streets.
Uisto'ry On The Colorado
While activities continued on the
campus, two University women were
making history on the stormy Colo-
rado diver. Members of an expedition
which made the front pages of news-
papers all over the country, Miss El-
zada Clover and her assistant, Miss
Lois Jotter, both of the botany de-
partment, were the first women ever
to make the perilous 660-mile river
journey from Green River, Utah, to
Boulder Dam. Another University
member, Eugene Atkinson of the geol-
ogy department left the expedition
upon arrival at Lee's Ferry, the first
stop, to do research work in Texas,
saying the trip had thus far served
its purpose of botanical study.
Celebrating their tenth anniversary
season on campus, the Repertory
Players enjoyed their most successful
season, from an attendance stand-
point, according to Valentine B.
Windt director. Under the direction
of Mr. Windt and with Whitford
Kane of the New York stage as guest
director, the Players presented eight
productions, capping a season that
saw sellouts for every performance
With a six-day presentation of Rud-
olph Friml's "The Vagabond King."
The operetta was produced with the
cooperation of the Music School and
the University Symphony under the
baton' of Henry Bruinsma.
Band Concert Successful
Still on the musical front, the Sum-
mer Session Director's Band and All-
High Clinic Band, numbering togeth-
er 200 musicians, presented the first
MIichigan Band Festival before a
crowd of 9,000 townspeople and stu-
dents at Ferry Field. Victor J. Grabel,
director of the Chicago Band Festival
and intimate friend of the late John
Philip Sousa, and Prof. William D.
,Revelli, director of the Michigan
bands, conducted the outdoor con-
cert, which climaxed a series of local
Sunday afternoon performances and
several radio broadcasts.
Top social activity of the season
was the reception for Summer Ses-
sion students and visiting faculty
held in the Graduate School. More
than 2,000 people passed the receiv-
ing line, which was headed by Prof.
Louis A. Hopkins, director of the
Summer Session. Weekly dances were
, held at the Union and the League

and bridge and dancing lessons were
given at the League.
Professor Hopkins gave the direc-
tor's greeting to students at the ini-
tial campus vesper held in the Gradu-
ate School Auditorium at which time
he spoke on "The Dawning Renais-
sance." At the service, the Summer
Chorus, directed by Prof. David A.
Mattern of the Music School led the
assembly singing and H. W. Schaf-
fer of the Grinnell Music Co. was
at the console of the organ, tempor-
arily installed for the occasion. Two
more Vesper services were held dur-
ing the summer, both on the Terrace
-of the Library.
President Speaks
President Ruthven gave the prin-
cipal address at a breakfast held in
the Union honoring 450 students who
received their master's degree dur-
ing the Summer Session. Professor
Hopkins was master of ceremonies
at the breakfast.
To enable Summer Session students
to visit points of scientific, industrial
and educational interest near Ann
Arbor, the University conducted, as
it has for many years, a series of
ten excursions. Groups made tours of
the city of Detroit, Greenfield Vil-
lage, the Ford River Rouge Plant,
the Cranbrook Schools, Niagara Falls
and vicinity, the Gene.:al Motors
Proving Ground near Milford and
Put-In-Bay Island in Lake Erie. The
excursions were under the direction of
Prof. Louis P. Rouse of the mathe-
matics department, except for the
trips to Niagara Falls and Put-In-

New Graduate School Gets Under W ay

Campus Goes
Carnival Mad
At Miehigras

Observatory Stations Are Found
In Opposite Parts Of The World

Hltige
The
For

Celebration Held In
Spring Raises Funds
Student Projectis

Two Million Dollar Grad School
To Foster Research Activities

Loop-o-planes, ferris wheels, Fol-
lies Berserk. an Esquire Roof for
dancing, peanuts, popcorn, the din of
barkers, milling crowds-all these go
to make up Michigras, Michigan's
mammoth carnival which dominates
the campus each spring.
Founded two years ago to raise
funds for a womans' swimming pool
and the band's trip to the Yale game
this fall, Michigras promises to be-
come a campus tradition. Hilarity
banishes all traces of pre-exam blues
each' May as fraternities, sororities,
honor societies, and independents
transform Yost Field House into a
pandemonium of booths, rides, noise
and fun.
A huge parade with four bands, 75
horses, 50 gala floats, and several
hundred bicycles heralded the open-
ing of Michigras last year. Out~
standing in the parade were such

Dedication Exergises Held
June 17; Huge Lecture
Room To Seat 1,200
Housed in a $2,000,000 educational
center, the Graduate School of the
University this fall will carry on its
many activities in a building of its
own for the first time since its incep-
tion in 1912.
In 1935 the Rackham Fund per-
manently endowed the Graduate
School. The original endowment con-
sisted of a site for the building, the
building and furnishings, and a cap-
ital sum of four million dollars. The
income from this ,and subsequent
endowments of the School is allocat-
ed for research projects, fellowships,
publications, special grants and re-
search endowments. .
It is expected that many research
projects will be originated in dis-
cussions and conferences which the
facilities of the building will foster.
Records of these projects and com-
pleted results will fill its files.
The Graduate School building is
the north boundary of the recently
completed Mall, which extends from
the General Library on the South. It
is an integral part of the Mall's
northern development which in-
cludes plans for a new building for
the School of Music behind and to
the north of the Carillon.
Paved terraces have been provided
at the second and fourth floa levels
since requirements for the first two
floors were greater and for the fifth
less than for the principal part of
the structure. The building, ac-
cording to architects' information, is
an outgrowth of the plain require-
ments and the details of the archi-
tectural embellishments are classic
with a Grecian feeling, which has
been carried out in the interior.
The curved wall on the northern
side of the building indicates the lec-
ture hall which is the dominant fea-
tire of the plan of construction. The.
hall itself is a semicircular room, 100
feet in height and 29 feet deep, con-
taining a lecture platform on the
north and an open arcade on the
south, which gives access to six ra-
diating aisles serving approximately
1,200 seats. Facilities for motion pic-
tures, electrical amplification of lec-'
tures, reception and transmission of
radio programs, sound on films,
Ban On Autos
Is Enforced

record production and space for tele-
vision and microscopic projection are
included in the equipment of the hall.
The color scheme of the hall is car-
ried out in blue, ebony and terra

cotta. In lighting the room, the cus- figures as Lady Godiva, President
tomary chandeliers have been re- Roosevelt in a coffin, and a Bavarian

placed by a series of small openingsJ
in the ceiling which permit cones of1
light to spread over the audience.1
This system of lighting is expected'
to prove more satisfactory for note
taking and discussion from the floor'
than the old established system.
Men's and women's lounges, study
halls, music and writing rooms, ex-;
hibition rooms, reception halls, two
small lecture rooms, exhibition rooms,
a small amphitheatre, conference
rooms and a kitchen complete the;
equipment of the building,
Dedication exercises for the build-.
ing were held June 17 in the main
auditorium. The administrative of-,
fices of the School and of the Rack-
ham Fund moved into their quarters"
on May 26 and graduate students
were admitted to the study halls on,
June 6. Many bureaus and division-.
al offices of the University already,
have been removed to the building.
OrmaiJdy To Direct'
For May Festival
(Continued from Page 25)
by Prof. Earl V. Moore and a well
known opera in concert form.
Features of last year's festival in-
cluded Bizet's "Carmen" given in
concert form by such operatic stars
as Bruna Castagna, Richard Bonelli,
Giovanni Martinelli, Chase Baromeo,
Agnes Davis and Hilda Burke, the
cantata, "Paul Bunyan," sung by the
Young People's Chorus, and Nino
Martini, well known radio and movie
tenor, Marion Anderson, Negro con-
tralto, and Albert Spalding, American
violinist, in recital with the Philadel-
phia Symphony.
The May Festival concerts are pre-
sented in Hill Auditorium, both after-
noon and evening concerts being giv-
en.
Astronomical Group
Holds 60thMeeting
Some 100 members of the Ameri-
can Astronomical Society gathered
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of
last week in Ann Arbor for the 60th
meeting in the history of the organi-
zation.
Addresses and papers were pre-
sented by some of the country's lead-
ing scientists. The meeting also in-
cluded inspections of the University
observatory and the McMath-Hul-

Band. Sigma Alpha Epsilon with a
takeoff on cigarette advertising won
the loving cup awarded by Mayor
Walter C. Sadler for the best float
in the parade. Delta Gamma and
Triangles were also in on the prizes.
Yost Field House, where the pa-
ade ended, was lined with booths
and rides. Beta Theta Pi's "Follies
Berserk" proved the most popular as
it netted the largest profit. Mosher
Hall's flower booth, Phi Kappa Psi's
and Pi Beta Phi's "Esquire Roof,"
and Phi Delta Theta's weight guess-
ing booth were also in the running.
More than 7,000 students and
townsfolk thronged to the 1938
Michigras which grossed a total of
$4,800, according to Hugh Rader,
'38, chairman. In 1937 almost $8,000
was taken in by the first Michigras
under the chairmanship of Willis
Tomlinson,' 37, who received the in-
spiration for Michigras from the
"Fandango" of the University of
Chicago.
The idea of a campus carnival{
evolved in 1927 when the Womens'
Athletic Association inaugurated its
annual Penny Carnival. Although
the Penny Carnival was held every
spring thereafter, it was not until
1937 that it reached the epic celebra-
tion which is Michigras.
bert Observatory located near Pon-
tiac. President Ruthven presented
the address of welcome.
The Union was convention head-
quarters.

Lamnont-Hussey Founded
In South Africa To
, Locate \Double Stars
Originally constructed in 1852, the
University of Michigan Astronomical
Observatory today trains some 800
students each year and conducts reg-
ular observations of the sky.
Two new stations have been estab-
lished by the University since the or-
iginal founding in 1852. The La-
mont-Hussey Observatory at Bloem-
fontein, Orange Free State, South
Africa, had been established for the
discovery of double stars in the
southern skies. The McMath-Hulbert
Observatory at Lake Angel,s, near
Pontiac, is also a branch. This was
built for research in the application
of the motion-picture camera to as-
tronomical photography.
One of the functions of the Ann
Arbor observatory is to record earth-
quakes. Three modern seismographs
are installed in the seismological lab-
oratory and the registration of trem-
ors has been continuous since 1909.
The Department of Astronomy also
occupies the fifth floor of Angell
Hall, where are installed several in-
struments for examination of the
night skies.
A report issued by Prof. Heber D.
Curtis, director of the Observatory,
reveals that there were no outstand-
ing discoveries made by his depart-
ment during the past year. More than
5,500 pairs of double stars were dis-
covered by the station in South
Africa during 1936 and 1937 and
considerable advancement was made
in the field of motion picture photo-
graphy by the Lake Angelus branch.
The Observatory possesses a well-
equipped machine and instrument
;hop and also maintains a complete'
library. The machine shop was the'
gift of Robert P. Lamont.

Library Lends
Students Books
Gives Aid To Financially
Embarrassed
Michigan's Textbook Lending Li-
brary, a campus-wide organization
inaugurated last year, .was started
for the purpose of aiding students
financially incapable of bearing the
cost of expensive texts so that they
might have access to volumes needed
in their academic work.
Based on the Loring W. Andrews
Library at Yale University, the library
offers books to students upon recoin-
mentaton by Dean of Students Joseph
A. Bursley, Dean of Women Alice C.
Lloyd, Prof. A. D. Moore of the engi-
neering college or any other of the
academic counselors. Certificatestof
eligibility are issued to those students
eligible upon which books may be
drawn for the first semester. On the
return of these books in good condi-
tion at the end of the first semes-
ter, students may again become eli-
gible for receiving books. 5
The University plan, inaugurated
by faculty members chosen by Presi-'
dent Ruthven, started with volunteer
donations of students. These were
greatly augmented by two alumni
gifts, totalling $1,500, and several
other grants. Various departmental
and general libraries collected these
books while the General Library or-
ganized the collection and kept
records of books available, using
Angell Hall Study Hall'as the place
of concentration and distribution.
At present there are approximately'
300 volumes in the Textbook Lend-
ing Library which through already
rapid growth promises to reach un-
usual proportions and become an
established University library.

YearsC
Old Traditions
'Assume The Position' A
Catchword Of Past
(Continued from Page 25)
at the other end of the bench arose
in righteous wrath.
"Sitting down."
"Ya a frosh?"
"Yes."
"This is senior bench. Scram.
Quick before .."
Slowly, Johnny got up and walked
across the diagonal. As he passed
the library he felt a light hand on his
shoulder.
"Hello, Tom."
Johnny lookdd around. She was
blond and slim and very pretty.
"My name is Johnny, not Tom," he
said.
Meets Senior
And they began to talk. She was,
it seemed, ,a senior but her boy
friend wasn't in town yet and she
was lonesome and yes, there cer-
tainly wasn't any reason why they
shouldn't go out together.
"How about the Orient for beer?"
Johnny asked, relieved to meet some-
one friendly.
"The Orient? Why, freshmen and
women can't go there. The boys
would throw them out."
The alternative was to walk home
with her so Johnny did. Outside the
sorority there Were the same two
fellows who had stopped him at the
Arch.
"Hello, Doris," they said. Then,
when they saw Johnny, their faces
tightened.
"What you doing with a senior,
frosh?" one said, stepping in front
of him.
"Why... why, nothing."
Wait For Date
"Freshmen don't go with senior
women. They don't go with any
women until they grow up."
"Yes, sir."
"Assume the position."
Johnny bent over and felt the
sharp hurt of two blows. Then red
with shame and anger, he walked
away while Doris and the two seniors
watched him, laughing.
That's the story of Michigan tra-
ditions. Today they are relegated to
the realm of legend. Sporadic at-
tempts to revive them fail. The
senior bench is just a bench; the P-
Bell populated by women, freshmen,
everyone; you date your first-week-
end with whom ever you want-and
can get; the Union front door is
easily crashable.
Michigan: 1938 isn't the same as
Michigan: 1920. So don't worry
frosh. College has grown up. You
won't have to
"ASSUME THE POSITIQN."

University Regulation
Effect Monday

In

University students will be pro-
hibited from operating automobiles
in the vicinity of Ann Arbor after 8
a. m. Monday, Sept. 26, when the
auto ban becomes effective, it was
announced by the office of the Dean
of Students.
Exceptions from this rule, which is
rigidly enforced, may be granted only
by the Dean of Students office. Such
exemptions will not be allowed unless
the committee deems the use of a
car essential to the securing of the
applicant's education."
Three classes of students are gen-
erally excluded from the ban. These
include students over 26 years of age,
part time students receiving credit
for six hours or less per semester,
and those with a faculty rating of
instructor or higher. The University
emphasizes that even such exemp-
tions are not automatic, but are
granted only upon individual re-
quest.
Penalties for infraction of the auto
ban, while at the discretion of the
University, usually mean loss of
academic credit for the first offense
and suspension for the second. These
penalties are directed not only at
student drivers but also at student
passengers, unless the car is driven
by a member of the passenger's im-
mediate family.
In the case of students who wish
to drive to Ann Arbor from a radius
of more than 150 miles, such trans-
portation is allowed if " any appreci-

\ /
-" -
C
fot
BLONDES
BRUNETTES
TITIANS
MEN - WOMEN
CHILDREN
LARGE 69c

_
V!

Makes Rich
Neutral Lather

have
GLAMOUROUS
sMOOTH
SILKY HAIR
MEOUJM 39c

MARSHALL
CUT-RATE
231 SOUTH STATE ST.
Phone 9242

Back to Top

© 2020 Regents of the University of Michigan