100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Download this Issue

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

This collection, digitized in collaboration with the Michigan Daily and the Board for Student Publications, contains materials that are protected by copyright law. Access to these materials is provided for non-profit educational and research purposes. If you use an item from this collection, it is your responsibility to consider the work's copyright status and obtain any required permission.

May 13, 1938 - Image 18

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Michigan Daily, 1938-05-13

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

TAHE IICHIG A N DAILY _

Buildings For
Men Have Had
RapidGrowth
Waterman Gym Built 1st;
Latest Additions Planned
Are To Be Dormitories
Men's buildings on the Michigan
campus have had a spasmodic yet
rapid growth. Although the demand
\for them was felt as early as the
1850's, nothing tangible was accom-
plished until the last decade of the
nineteenth century.
Waterman Gymnasium, built in
.1894, was the first of the men's uild-
ings to be completed. The first
gymnasium was an old military bar-
racks which was transformed into a
gy.mnasium about 1858. It stood nea
the site of the heating plant of the
old Engineering Building, and was
used only in warm weather, for the
construction was such that students
while in the building were exposed
to Ann Arbor weather. This make-
shift was shortlived, however, 'for
in 1868, the Class of '70 erected a
gymnasium "in embryo," described by
a graduate of '75 as "two uprights
with cross-beam and ropes dangling-
the remains of some prehistoric ef-
fort towards' muscular development."
Old Rink Becomes Gym
In 1858 the old rink, later to be-
come the armory, was fitted up as a
gymnasium. Previous to that, in 186
student efforts had resulted in a fund
of more than $4,000, to which the leg-
islature was to add the extra neces-
sary money, but the project fell
through. It was not until 1891, when
Joshua W. Waterman, of Detroit, long
a patron of sport, offered to give $20,-
000. provided a like amount could be
raised from other sources. Three
years later Waterman Gymnasium
was built at a cost of more than
$6,000.
Ferry Field Donated
Interest in all forms of athletics
made an athletic field no less neces-
sary than a gymnasium. The part
of the campus where Waterman Gym
nasium now stands used to be an
athletic field, which even in the ear-
iest ,days was crowded and incon-
venient. Much trouble with the
townspeople resulted from the base-
ball games that students were in the
habit of playing in the streets. The
Regents recognized the need for an
athletic field and purchased, in 1891,
what is now the south 10 acres of
Ferry Field. This field vas known
as l'Regent's Field" until 1902 when
the Hon. D. M. Ferry, of Detroit,
gave an additional 21 acres and fur-
nished funds for the entrance gates
and ticket offices. Subsequent pur-
chases of property by the University
increased the total to nearly 80 acres
and built stands of concrete and a
club house. ,
In 1907, a home for the Union was
found in the old Judge Cooley resi-
dence, which stood on the same
grounds that the Union now does. The
Union grew in membership, and by
1916 the present Union Building was
under construction. The old Pond
residence and the Assembly Hall, later
Mimes theatre, which had been built
as an addition to the Cooley house
in 1912, were moved to the rear and
united to provide room for the Union
while the building was completed.
The new building was hurriedly fin-
ished for use as barracks and mess
hall by the Student Army Training
Corps.,
Hockey Began In 1923
The tremendous growth of inter-
collegiate athletics forced a large
building program on the University
during the 1920's. In 1923, Weinberg's
Coliseum, situated at Hill and Fourth
was leased for the season by the In-
tramural and Intercollegiate athletic'
associatiohs for hockey practice

games. In 1925 the University pur-
chased the Coliseum and a lot ad-
jacent to it which forms the en-
trance.
A new field house was also being
built in 1923, built entirely from pro-
fits of intercollegiate athletics. This
new building, Yost Field House, "a
pioneer of such a nature for college
affairs" according to the Michigan
Alumnus, provided for indoor foot-
ball practice, baseball, track and bas-
ketball. Two years later the demand
for a new stadium gained in mo-
mentum and a program was planned,
chiefly through the help of the alum-
ni. The program included plans for
the stadium, a winter sports pavilion
and a minor sports building having
adequate swimming accommodations.
The State, University, alumni and
students were asked for their support,
and the rest of the funds was to be
supplied by the gate receipts. The
present stadium was completed in
1927, while the Intramural Building,
which provides "athletics for all" was
started that same year.
Geography Camp
To Offer Courses
Advanced courses in field mapping
and land utilization studies will be
offered in this year's Summer Ses-
sion at the Geography Camp in Wil-
derness State Park near Mackinac
City, it was announced yesterday.
The camp is located in one of the
few remaining undeveloped parts of

Michigan's Social Center For Men

Forestry Camp
Opens June 27
In Iron County
Offers Many Selections;
Will Include Swimming,
VisitingLumber Areas
By WILLIAM B. ELMER
The summer Forestry Camp will
again be held this year, from June
27 to Sept. 2, in Iron County, north-
ern Michigan, according to Prof. Rob-
ert Craig, director of the camp. About
70 students, most of whom have al-
ready registered, will attend.
The camp, as a division of the for-
estry school, will offer ten hours of
credit in forestry courses, with the
primary function of- the camp be-
ing to give forestry students their
first taste of professional work. The
day for students at the camp begins
at 6:15 a.m., and lectures, 'field work
and study occupy them until 5 p.m.
The full week of hard work gives stu-
dents time from Saturday noon until
Monday morning for their own use.
The camp is situated on the shores
of Golden Lake, which is admirably
suited for swimming, according 'to
Professor Craig. The surrounding
territory, part of the Ottawa Na-
tional Forest, provides opportunity
for the students to study the opera-
tions of the United States Forestry
Service and also the work of the
Michigan department of conserva-
tion. Also witliin a few miles of
the camp are private lumber inter-
ests which enable the group to see
first-hand sawmill and logging op-
erations.
Those attending the camp may
reach it by rail, hitch-hiking or by
private cars, the use of which is per-
mitted during the season of the camp.
In addition to the $50 tuition, stu-
dents also pay a $60 fee to a coopera-
tive mess fund, from which the food
of the camp is purchased and arty re-
mainder refunded at the end of camp.
REFUND OF FEES
Any student who withdraws from
the Summer Session within one week
of his registration is entitled to a re-
fund of his entire Summer Session
fee, if in less than two weeks, he is
entitled to one-half his tuition, and
if 'in less than four weeks, he may
receive 40 per cent of his tuition back.

4

T he University of Michigan Union provides a social and recreational
center for faculty, alumni, and students of the University. Membership
in the Union is confined to men and is included in the cost of tuition.
Among the facilities the building provides are a swimming pol, six
bowling alleys, a billiard room, a lounging room, and restaurant facilities.
Ten Excursions To Local Points
Planned For Summer Students

A series of 10 excursions to points
of interest in and about Ann Arbor
and Detroit has been arranged this
summer for students of the University
Summer Session.
The excursions will come mainly on
Wednesdays and Saturdays and will
last only a day except for a week-end
trip to Niagara Falls. Fees to cover
the travelling expenses will/be charged
for those trips out of town. Reserva-
tions should be made at the office of
the Summer Session.
A tour of the campus will be made
on June 30, including an inspection
of the General Library, Clements Li-
brary, Cook Legal Research Li-
brary, the Union, Burton Tower, Aero-
nautical Laboratory, Naval Tank and
other points of interest.
A day, will be spent in Detroit on
July 1 when the Detroit Institute of
Arts, Detroit Public Library, Belle
Isle, the Fisher Building, Radio Sta-
tion WJR and the zoo will be visited.
A trip to the Ford plant and inspec-
'ion of .the Ford industries at River
Rouge is planned for July 6. Cran-
brook School, Christ Church and the
Carillon at Bloomfield Hills will be
inspected later in the season.
On Wednesday, July 20 and 27,
excursions will leave for Greenfield
Village in Dearborn, where a tour of
the Village and Edison's Menlo Park
will be made. The General Motors
Proving Grounds at Milford, north-
east of Ann Arbor, will be visited
on Saturday, July 30 where a tour
will be made to the Weather Station.
For the last excursion a boat trip
will be taken, to Put-In-Bay in the

Ohio

part of Lake Erie.

60(

i

Everything You Need for Better Results !
You'll enjoy working in your garden when
you use the seeds, rakes, shovels, hoes,
etc., from Hertler's because you will find
the work is easier and the results are better.
HERTLER BROS.
210 South Ashley Street, Phone 2-1713

tij

w

TYPEWRITERS!.

NEW and USED BOOKS!

Engineering and Architects' Materials
Stationery, Fountain Pens, Loose Leaf Books
Typewriting and Pound Papers
College Pennants and Jewelry
Leather Goods
Student SupplyStore
111 SOUTH UNIVERSITY

C. L. Pettibone

Phone 8688

I

..

Summer-time or Winter-time,

Allenel

Service

Remains the Same

THE ALLENEL HOTEL offers its fine foods to MICHIGAN stu-
dents during the entire year.- If you are looking for a quiet booth
for yourself or tables for a party, the Allenel Hotel is the place.
Whether you are looking for a delicious lunch or a fresh sea food
dinner, here, where Ann Arbor's finest food is served is where you

will find it.

For pleasant service and an enjoyable time, visit the

Taproom or Dining Room of the . . .

Back to Top

© 2021 Regents of the University of Michigan