100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Download this Issue

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

This collection, digitized in collaboration with the Michigan Daily and the Board for Student Publications, contains materials that are protected by copyright law. Access to these materials is provided for non-profit educational and research purposes. If you use an item from this collection, it is your responsibility to consider the work's copyright status and obtain any required permission.

October 25, 1930 - Image 3

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Michigan Daily, 1930-10-25

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

SATURDAY, OCTOt _'2 1930

THE MICHIGAN

DAILY

SATUDAYOCTOTh 5, 1S 0TH MICIGA

r ....... rr!r. .. ...

returning Gradates

Will

View

DORI TOR LEGAL
REERHLIBRARY
MAKE UP NEIUNiT
Three of Four Buildings, Valued
at More Than $4,000,000,
Now Completed.

WORK

,MEN NEAR END OF CONSTRUCTION ON NEW
LAW LIBRARY JOHN COOK DORMITORY FINISHED

WORK STARTED

IN 1923

Late William W. Cook, Famous
Alumnus of University
Donates Club.
(By Irving J. Blumberg)
Visiting alumni will note with in-
terest today the progress made to-
ward the completion of the English-
Gothic Law Quadrangle during the
past year, and will view with pride
the imposing spectacle it presents.
The Quadrangle, in its entirety
the gift of Mr. William W. Cook, is
the only one of its kind in the world.
Three buildings, valued at appoxi-
mately $4,000,000, now comprise the
Quadrangle, and a fourth is to be
added soon.
Occupies Entire Block.
In 1923, work on the first building,
the Lawyers club, was commenced.
Almost an entire block of fraternity
houses was razed to make way for
what is now one of the most im-
pressive structures on the campus.
Construction proceeded rapidly, and
the luxurious home of 160 law stu-
dents was ready for the dedicatory
services held June 13, 1925.
The services were in charge of
Dean Alfred H. Lloyd, at that time
acting president, of the University.
The donor, Mr. Cook, was not pres-
ent. He was represented by a close
friend, Mr. John T. Creighton, who
read a letter outlining Mr. Cook's
hope that the Michigan law school
might be made "a great center of
legal education and of jurisprudenc
legal education and of jurispru-
dence for the good of the public."
Housed 160 Students.
From that time, until the com-
pletion of the present accommoda-
tions, the 160 occupants of the club
lived in an atmosphere character-
istically legal. In 1929, a desire to
erect a memorial to his father, and
also to enlarge the living accommo-
dations ,of the club, led Mr. Cook
to make ,another impressive dona-'
tion.
This donation included f u n d s
necessary for the construction and
furnishing of the John P. Cook
dcrmitory, which was to house 117:
more law students. Almost simul-*
taneously' with this gift came the
announcement of the new Legal
Cook Never Visited
BuildingsHe Gave
William W. Cook died without
ever having seen the magnifi-~
cent buildings that his munifi-
cence made possible. Although
the Lawyers' club and the
Martha Cook dormitory were
completed and the Legal Re-
search building and John P.
Cook dormitory were in the pro-
cess of construction, Mr. Cook
never came to Ann Arbor to see
them.
Although ill health contribut-
ed somewhat to his reasons for
staying away, Mr. Cook, it is be-
lieved, never visited Ann Arbor
because, carrying in his mind an
ideal picturization of his quad-
rangle, he feared that actual ob-
servation might result in disil-
lusionment.
Research Library gift, appropriate
home for the thousands of volumes
of law book. ;
Library to Open in 1931.
Plans were immediately prepared
and the two buildings were erected
in record time. In order to accom-
modate the students at the begin-
ning of the school year, the John
Cook dormitory was completed and
furnished in time for occupancy in
September.
Masonry and exterior work has
besen completed on the library, and
at the present time, visiting alumni
will find workmen busy furnishing
the interior and applying finishing
touches to the exterior. The Legal
Research building looms as a giant
Gothic cathedral, high above the
roofs of the present campus build-

ings. It will be opened for library
and research work in the fall ofI
1931.I

S
i
-
i

HOUSES RAZED 11
Ii ] ~FOR CLUB SITEL rim
~ jj~The old adage "Here tda~y niBE UT O UI 1
a ^. a c k bw s gone tomorrow" has been n oC~l'? L
to "Here yesterday and moved the
Sude - Rooms Contain Modern day after" insofar as it rolates C; Unique Achitectural Features
Furishings; MeTmorial the structures that once stood Oc Ch tedc General
the site where the Lawyers club,
-Serves as Loung-e. the law dormitories and the Legal S:ucture.
Research building stand.
7 P. Cook Dormitory a ~ddi- Fraternity houses, rooming houses CLU3 WELL FURNISHED
ion to the Lawyers club embodies and a church have at one time or
all the princioles requisite to the another occupied space on tIe A collossal conglomeration of
needs of a man' residence block bounded by State street, unique architectural features char-
All ftau.tu:e Us constrrcted of South University, Tappan and Von- acterizes the general structure and
oak. A bed, a chest of drawers, a roe streets, according to George
desk large mirror, an upholstered W. Sample, judge of the circuit furnishings of the Lawyers club.
chair and two wooden chairs are icourt and one of Ann Arbor's older Although the casual observer will
the furnishings in each of the inhabitants. note only the attractive example of
rooms. JoThe first chapter house of Psi English-Gothic type, a close in-
The John P. Cook Memorial room Fpsilon was built on the corner of spection of the building reveals
serves as a lounge for the men in State and S. University, Judge numerous details, all executed in
te new dormitory. A picture of Sample said. Acacia, Delta Kappa
Joh P. Cook, father of the donor, Epsilon, and Theta Delta Chi have most inconspipuous manner. Espe-
hangs arove e large f eplace. also had houses on the Law plot, cially interesting are the figurative
ne windows of colorful stained Judge Sample asserted. and almost human gargoyles which
Sas create a one of seric~asness. The Theta Delta Chi house was adorn the bases of the three arches.
crsoll and scepure of Slatute moved last summer across State Each representative of different le-
'w deorete the northernmost street to its present location.
ndows and on The other windows he Disciples Church, Judge gal person ages and also leading col-
ae the sword and balances of the Sample declared, was built *n the legiace activities, they hold "a
iLaw land east of the original Psi U stony stare" for both club resident
_______Law._ house and was later moved block and visitor.
by block to its present location on Upon entering the lobby of the
the corner of Hill and Tappan club proper, one is sure to notice
the huge oaken doors with their
, G dheavy iron hrdware. The club of-
$ 0 Gift Provides fice is located in the lobby, on both
Recreation Quarters sides of which are stone arches,
heavily draped, one leading to the
One of the last gifts William W. dining hall and the other to the
Cook made to the Lawyers club be- spacious and comfortably-furnished
loung ze. Complimentary to the'Eng-
fore his death was a fund of $20,- l,othi arcietre are teg
lish-G. othic s rchite:,ture are the
ab >000 to be used for the furnishing of two large tapestries which adorn
a recreation room in the basement the lobby's upper walls.
of the club. Tile floors have been Th.e two, with a third which
laid, and the walls have begn pan- an in lo-nge, were brought
eled in accordance with the interior rom the wals of Mr. Cook's home
rin New York. These are valued at
decoration scheme of the building. more than $50,000.
A set of English prints of great
value were sent from the private
collection of Mr. Cook and will L
. M 3RO L UNCH
adorn the walls. Furniture, includ- Corn.r Monroe and Oakland
ing card tables, has been ordered Yd
-and the room will be open for then Y-erhborhood Restaurant
convenience of club members in the [Nin1er 40c and 50c
2 near future.

NEARHS CO YLITI N
Need for Extensive Legal Study
to be Met With New f
Facilities.
COOK URGED RESEARCH
The crying need for formulation,
statement and improvement of all
branches of the law into a form in-
telligible, not only to law students
and lawyers, but to the layman as
well, is at present being nowhere
more adequately met than at this
University, where, with the comple-
tion in a very few months of the
Legal Research building, the latest
addition to the Lawyers' club quad-
rangle, unprecedented facilities fors
legal study will be available.
Towering above the other build-
ings on the Lawyers' quadrangle,
the Legal Research building, now
more than half completed, will
house 14 consultation and research
rooms, a huge library that will seatl
400 persons and house more than
225,000 volumes, and other rooms
for independent student research. It
will contain equipment for the sci-
entific study of law in all its aspects
-social, politic and economic, and.
is being erected at an expenditure
of more than $2,000,000.
William W. Cook, the donor of the'
Legal Research building, stipulated
in the instrument of gift which3
brought the Lawyers' club to Michi-
gan that all membership dues and
all profits from the operation of
the Lawyers' club building were to
be devoted to legal research. Com-
plying to this provision, these funds,
now to be greatly augmented by
the income received from the oper-
ation of the recently constructed
John P. Cook dormitory, have been,
and will be, directed to that end.
Under the auspices of the Lawyers'
club, attention has been centered
within the past year, not only on
several problems connected with the
administration of justice, but also
on the underlying question of or-
ganizng regal research.
Board of Governors
Manages Legal Club
General management of the Law-
yers' club is exercised by a board of
governors which consists of Regent
James 0. Murfin, two members of
the faculty, Prof. Grover C. Gris-
more and Prof. Edwin C. Goddard;
the chief justice of the Michigan
Supreme court, two practicing at-
torneys, and two resident students.
The student council, which has
charge of all activities and social
functions, is composed of one stu-
dent elected from each of the 15
sections of the dormitory.
RED GRAPE JUICE
23% Pure Grape Sugar
RUDY WAGNER
North Main or 1529 Broadway

The Legal Research building
(above) will contain a huge li-
brary which will house the
thousands of volumes now in
the Law School library, a gen-
eral reading room, and rooms
for faculty and student research
work. It is the finest of its kind
in the country.
The John P. Cook dormitory
(right), the latest addition to
the Lawyers' club, provides ac-
commodations for 117 law stu-
dents and was erected at a cost
of more than $1,750,000. It con-
tains a beautiful lounge, the
John P. Cook Memorial room,
named for the donor's father
and other appointments con-
ducive to the comfort of the
residents.
These two buildings are con-
strutted of the same materials
and along the same English-
Gothic lines of the original unit.

UNIVERSITY BENEFACTOR FAMED BAR C M'ITTEE TO MEET
AS CORPORATION LAW AUTHORITY The Executive Committee of the
Michigan State Bar association will
William Wilson Cook, donor of tained him as corporation counsel. meet at1(?o'clocl this mornin.g in
the Law Quadrangle, was born in Mr. Cook was recognized as one the Lawyers club. The members of
Hillsdale, Mich., on April 16, 1858. of the country's leading authorities the committee will attendmem the
He received his early education in on corporation law. His bo'k I, Jichigan-Illinois football ga me in
the public schools of Hillsdale, and "Cook on Corporations" is now 11. a bod
in the preparatory department of its eighth edition, and is accepted od
Hillsdale college. He then entered as the standard autnority on this (-- -_ _ _
the University of Michigan, receiv- subject. -== = ==========
ing his A. B. degree in 1880 and Mr. Cook was forced by ill health
his degree in law in 1882. to retire to his Port Chester estate,
Upon his graduation from law but always maintained his interest A
school, Mr. Cook entered the office in the University, planning and su-
of a prominent New York attor- pervising his Law Quadrangle pro-
ney, and there made the acquain- ject. He died on June 4, 1930, at the
tance of John W. Mackay, who re age of 72.

&HIMAM -ROGRESS Aod& Ie ID
-- -
3 OLYMPIC HEROES EULOGIZE IN VERSE
IN ANCIENT GREECE it took days,
weeks, even months to broadcast
news of the Olympic Games. Hero'es
of those games were eulogized in
verse which often did not appear
until long after the events had taken
place. Many times the victor re-
turned home with no advance tid-
ings to herald his coming.
THE NEWS of sporting cvents today
is flashed over the wires the moment
j ~the contests are concluded. Th-e
Associated Press las a trained staff
covering sporting events o fthe
world. For the latest sports news
read

1,

Mosher Jordanites!
Patronize Your Neighborhood Druggist
We Specialize in
FOUNTAIN SRVICE

,!

rII

I

11

Back to Top

© 2019 Regents of the University of Michigan