PROF. E. D. CAMPBELL MAKES
Regarding the new degree of M.S.
in chemistry, Prof. E. D. Campbell
has. made the following statement:
"The degree of B.S. (chemsitry)
was conferred in this University for
he' first time in 1886 and for 13
years thereafter continued to be the
degree taken by many students
strongly specializing in chemistry.
,Soon after the abolition of all spe-
cial degrees in the College of Litera-
ture, Science and the Arts, the degree
of B.S. in Chemical Engineering was
offered in the College of Engineering
and many students who would have
entered for the B.S. (chemistry) reg-
istered in the College of Engineering
in order to secure a degree which in-
dicated their line of specialization.:
With the increased stress laid on
the engineering side of the work tak-
en by candidates for the degree of
B.S. (chemical engineering), it be-
came evident in time that the Uni-
versity should offer a coirse which
should include a more thorough train-
ing in chemistry than is required fort
the chemical engineering degree and
at the same time offer an opportu-
nity to take elective work in other
sciences or cultural studies, rather
than in engineering. To meet this
need the College of Literature, Sci-
ence and the Arts in 1914 announced
that the degree of B.S. (chemistry)
would be conferred on students who
had satisfactorily completed the four'
years' curriculum laid out by the
faculty of the department of chemis-
"Up to the present' time it has been
customary to grant the degree of
Master of Science to students who had
specialised somewhat in chemistry
and hid complied with the require-
meets for the Masters' degree as laid
down by the Graduate school, even
though at the time the degree of
M.S.was conferred, the total amount
of training in chemistry and cognate
subjects was no more than is requir-
ed for the degree of B.S. (chemis-
try). Therefore, a student who grad-
took an additional full year of grad-
uate work in chemistry would re-'
ceive the same degree as that receiV-I
ed by a student from some other col-
lege, whose total training in chemis-
try at the time he received his M.S.
degree, was no more thorough than
that of the B.S. (chemistry) graduate
at the commencement of his graduate,
work. In order to correct the unfair-
ness of this older arrangement, to
raise the standard of training in_
chemistry in this University and to
have an advanced degree which would;
clearly indicat4 the amount of train-
ing in. chemistry the holder had re-
ceived, the .Board of *egents, at its
meeting held Augut 6s, last, approv-
ed the offering by the Graduate school
of the degree of M.S. (chemistry).
This degree will be conferred after
at least one year of graduate work in
chemistry, on students who' have pre-
viously fulfilled all the requirements'
for the degree of B.S. (chemistry).
The degrees of M.S. and A.M. will
continue to be conferred under the
same conditions that have held here-
tofore,.but the. new degree will, it is
thought, gradually come to be recog-
nized as being of greater value to
those who are intending to follow
chemistry as a profession."
PURE WATER FROM
STEERE FtARM USED
Pure water is guaranteed the city
this fall as the entire supply will be
obtained from the Steere farm pump-
ing station. The water, which comes
from deep gravel springs, has been
analyzed by the Michigan Board of
Health, and this body has declared the
water to be free from foreign sub-
stance with the exception of a small
harmless quantity of iron.
Formerly the water supply was se-
cured from the Huron river, but thib
source was condemned as unsani-
tary. More than $200,00 have been
spent in securing a satisfactory sys-
tem, and this was effected when the
Steere farm water was turned into
the city mains this summer.
England Makes $350,000 by Films
London, Sept. 28.-The British war,
office realized upwards of $350,000 on
its exploitation of British official war
films, it .has been announced.
(Continued from Page Eight)
thorities of the museum of the Univer-
sity of Pennsylvania, where Dr.
Langdon served for the two years as
curator of the Babylonian section.
Prof. Edwin D. Dickinson, formerly
of the department of government and
political science at Dartmouth col-
lege, has been appointed to the Law
school professorship left vacant by
the resignation of Prof. Willard T.
The past. summer was marked by a
great amount of construction, both
under way and completed. The Un-
ion cafeteria has been completed this
summer and is now doing business.
A bronze drinking fountain, the gift
to the city of Ann Arbor of the late
Francis M. Hamilton, '69, mayor of
Ann Arbor from 1905 to 1907, was in-
formnilly unveiled the latter past of
June.- The fountain has been placed
near the diagonal walk on the north-
west corner of the campus.. It is the
practically similar to H+
residence, except that t
ing :will be constructe
brick instead of white
brick is the standard w
versity has adopted, re
used in Hill auditoriui
Science building, and the
Campus Crossed by 'T
Construction of a d
from Alumni Memorial
man gymnasium was on
improvements begun th
on the campus. This
part complete the or:
have, the campus croase
Formerly there was r
from Alumni Hall to t
and- this new walk will
en the distance across
Why 'Are You
.17r.V Je s im
B e ef st i
Ha4.rd to Ce
AR B O R
Dr, A. A. Stanley, Director
18-GERALDINE FARRAR, assisted by Arthur Hackett, Tenor and
sita Renard, Pianist.
17-DETROIT SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA, Ossip Gabrilowitsch,
:tor; Mrs. George B. Rhead, Pianist.
ASCHA HEIFETZ, Violinist.
-RICCARDO STRACCIA RI, Baritone.
[0-JOSEF HOFMANN, Pianist.
8-DETROIT SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA.
h x . ,
TICKETS (with $3.00 May Festival Coupon) $4.50, $5.00, $5.50,
tAIL ORDERS filled in advance in order of receipt.
ublic Sale, SATURDAY, OCT. 4, 8 a. in., Hill Auditorium.
'ICKETS FOR SINGLE CONCERTS on sale Saturday, October 11-$1.00,
For information or tickets address, CHARLES A. SINK,
-sity School of Music.