100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Download this Issue

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

This collection, digitized in collaboration with the Michigan Daily and the Board for Student Publications, contains materials that are protected by copyright law. Access to these materials is provided for non-profit educational and research purposes. If you use an item from this collection, it is your responsibility to consider the work's copyright status and obtain any required permission.

January 14, 1915 - Image 3

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Michigan Daily, 1915-01-14

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

TRE MICHIGAN DAILY

(

Prohibition Movement to
all Speakers to
Ann Arbor
LASTS THREE DAYS By

P 4

THE CHANGING DRAMA
Archibald Henderson (808.2 H5c).

bor will be visited next week
'lying Squadron of America,"
ines in the interest of the
L for nation wide prohibition.
and evening meetings will

the

SSiadron" is the out-
remtte wheh started at
io, in 1913. It includes
nost prominent speakers
d is making a tour cov-
te largest cities in Amer-
vas visited in November.
come here from Jackson,
go from here to Buffalo,'

, and
-k.

he aim of the movement it is said,
3 give this subject frank and intel-
nt discussion, eliminating the cant
fanaticism which seemed to be
old time t rahce orators' stock-
rade. Admission is free and stu-'
s and citizens are invited to attend
hose in charge.
he speakers are as follows:
rsday-
r. Charles M. Sheldon, author of
"In His Steps."
aiel A. Poling, national superin-
tendent of temperanee ai& Christ-
ian citizenship of the Christian
Endeavor.

The author names cosmopolitanism
as being one of the chief requirements
of the drama of the present age. The
dramatist must appeal, not only to his
own countrymen, but to the people of
all nations. He, therefore, must have
a wide knowledge of humanity and ab-
solute control of dramatic technic.
The drama exists today, not as an
example of "art for art's sake," but as
an example of "art for life's sake."
It has a very definite intent toward
which every detail must play its part.
Very often the object is one of social
reform, in which case the play re-
Kflects one of the strongest currents of
thought of present day life.
The author speaks at some length
regarding the change of attitude to-
ward the three unities originated by
Aristotle. In this connection, he men-
tious the addition of a fourth unity-
the creation of an atmosphere. He
names Maeterlinck as a conspicuou&
example of the master of a peculiar
technic that creates a definite atmos-
phere which plays a strong part in
revealing the intent of the play.
Plays are concerned with average
people- and every-day circumstances-
and not with mysterious and romantic
situations as formerly. They appeal to
a thinking, intelligent public, rather
than to the pleasure-seeking audience.
There is a constantly growing tend-
ency toward doing away with the so-
called ."hero" of a play and substitu-
ting in his place a unity of impression.
"The modern drama is marked by that
creeping paralysis of external action
of which Maeterlinck speaks. The in-
terpreter of contemporary life has dis-
covered that an emotion is as thrill-
ing a dramatic theme as an action."
Present day drama is first and last an
expression of the life and thought of
the people.
L. R. B.
IfATHEMATICS DEPARTMENT
ceived the honorary degree of Doctor
of Laws and Literature from Kalama-
zoo College.

Ireth, president of Ward-
college, Nashville, Ten-
RS heridau general sec-
the. werth League.
w, Geige); of Battle

NEW RECORDS MARK PROGRESS
OF 1915 TRACK SQUAD HOPES
Carroll, Lynch and Robinson, hang Up
New Time on Chart Placed
in Gymnasium
Several new marks have been hung
up on the indoor track sheet record in
the gym, since the chart was installed
Monday afternoon.
Carroll, the captain of last year's
all-fresh squad was the first to have
his name entered in the mile column,
the sophomore turning in a mark of
4:48. Lynch, the two-miler on the
fresh team two years ago, but wo was
not in college last year, bettered Car-
roll's mark later by two seconds, cov-
eting the distance in 4:46. This is
creditable time for so early in the
season, although the mark will prob
ably fall later on in the year.
M. G. Robinson was the first to go
down on the chart over the three lap
distance, doing it in 47 2-5. Hardell,
one of the candidates for the all-fresh
track team held the four lap record
for a day, although Burby has lower-
ed his mark of 1:06 2-5 by more than
a second, getting credit for 1:05 1-5.
Donnelley's mark of 2:51 for nine
laps still stands, and apparently seems
;destined to do so for some time, al-
though it will probably fall when the
men round into better condition. Coach
Farrell stated that he would not be
surprised to see it stand, however, un-
til after the examinations°.
"Jimmy" Craig was out yesterday
afternoon assisting Coach Farrell with
athe sprinters. Craig announced that
he would continue to turn out in the
afternoon as much as possible to as-
sist "Steve." An effort will be made to
get "Hap" Haff to turn out also, to
-assist Coah Farrell in whipping the
team into shape. Both of these men
were track stars in former years, and
their presence would materially assist.
HARVARD PROFESSOR TO SPEAK
%asaharu Anesaki Will Talk on Art
and Religious Subjects
i Masaharu Anesaki, graduate of the
Imperial University of Tokyo, and at
present professor of Japanese Litera-
ture and Life at Harvard, will lecture
in Ann Arbor at 4:15 o'clock February
11 and 12. The lectures will be given
'in Alumni Memorial hall, and are open
to all who are interested in Japanese
art and religion.,
The address Thursday afternoon will
be on "Japanese Art," and will be
fully illustrated by over 50 lantern
sl des. The talk will be in the nature
of a general survey of Japanese art
as a whole. On Friday, "A Prophet of
Japanese Buddhism" will be the sub-
ject on which Professor Anesaki will
talk.
Professor Anesaki has studied in
Germany, England and India, and has
had several books published in Eng-
lish, besides many in the Japanese
language.
GARI MELCHERS, NOTED ARTIST,
PAYS VISIT TO THE UNIVERSITY
Gari Melehers, noted Detroit artist,
was in Ann Arbor Tuesday for a short
visit.
Dr. Melchers was granted the honor-
ary degree of LL.D by the University
of Michigan two years ago, under cir-
cumstances that necessitated, for the
first time, the waiving of the require-
ment that all recipients of degrees be
present at the time of the award. This
exceptional action was taken as the
result of illness contracted by Dr. Mel-
chers on the Journey from Pais to
Ann Arbor, which forced him to be
confined to a hospital in New York

for some time. During this confine-
ment the degree was granted.
PROF. L. H. HOUGH GIVES NEXT
LECTURE IN WESLEYAN SERIES

Engineering Structure Provides
Rooms and Laboratories
For Students

former gover-
wart,- former
bl# legislature.
ormer member
s legislature.
dst will come

BUILDIN6 HOUSES
NOVEL MACHINERY

ClassI

. . : .. .

BY PROFESSOR J. E. EMSWILER
After the first wing of the new engi-
neering building had been planned,
and built, in 1904, it can well be imag-
ined that the faculty and regents must
have sat back and heaved a sigh of
contentment with the thought that it
would accommodate the work of the
engineering department for a good
many generations of classes to come.
But the years immediately succeeding
saw that wonderful growth of the uni-
versity in general, and of the engineer-
ing department in particular, so that
-by the year 1910 it had become neces-
sary to extend the building to its pres-
ent dimensions. And even now, the
department finds itself constricted in
space for much of its work.
The building contains the offices of
the dean, assistant dean, and secretary
of the departments of engineering and
architecture. It houses all the work
of the several sbdepartmerits, except
chemical engineering, shop work, sur-
veying and some of the language work.
The department of forestry also oc-
cupies a part of the building.
One of the objectionable features of
the building is the presence of labora-
tories and classrooms in such close
proximity to each other.
The automobile laboratory and the
brick Rattler, have entrenched them-
selves firmly at the top of the list
as the best noise producers.
The laboratories, of course, furnish
the material expression of the work
done in the department. And since
engineering deals essentially with ma-
terial things, it is but natural that the
laboratories should be extensive. The
-new engineering building contains the
laboratories of the departments of
engineering mechanics; electrical en-
gineering including dynamo-electric
machinery and telephones and tele-
graphs; marine engineering; mechani-
cal engineering including hydraulic
machinery and automobiles; and civil
engineering which, is represented by
the highway engineering laboratory.
The telephqne laboratory includes
the campus exchange of the Michigan
State Telephone company. It is locat-
ed just off the arch, in the west side.
A little further beyond, is the opera
ting room of the wireless station. The
aerials stretch from two poles 300 feet
apart just south of the building, and
also from the 150-foot stack of the
old Power House.
The highway laboratory is an estab-
lishment of comparatively recent be-
ginning. So closely is work of this
kind connected with the public wel-
fare of the state, that the regents have
ruled that all material samples be test-
ed free of charge.
The engineering mechanics labora-
tory contains machinesand apparatus
for determining the physical proper-
ties of the materials which enter into
engineering construction, chiefly iron,
steel, wood, and concrete. The most
important of these properties is their
strength, so most of the machines in
the laboratory are built for determin-
ing how much pull, or push, or twist,
or bending, a sample of material will
undergo before breaking. Not only are
samples tested, but complete parts of
machines, as for example automobile
wheels, and engine crank shafts. The
capacities of the testing machines vary
the laboratory are built for determin-
ing how much pull, or push, or twist
a sample of material will undergo be-
fore breaking. The capacities of the

the laboratory of the Forestry depart-
ment, where may be seen specimens
and sections of nearly all different
kinds of wood. In addition, the For-
estry department is now installing
machines for testing the investigation
of the strength of different kinds of
wood.
Still farther along the corridor, is
the entrance to the lower floor of the
mechanical laboratory. The apparatus
on this floor consists of hydraulic ma-
chinery, the larger steam engines and
gas engines, a small steam boiler,
house heating furnaces, the machines
and apparatus of the automobile lab-
oratory, air compressors, an ice mak-
ing plant, and two large tanks install-
ed permanently on scales, for measur-
ing large quantities of water. Each.
tank can hold 40,000 pounds of water.
Among the apparaus of most general
interest on this floor are the pumps
which furnish the water for fire pro-
tection on the campus. Two of these
are rotary pumps driven by electric
motors, which' can be operated from
current supplied either from the lines
of the Eastern Michigan Edison Co.,
or from the new university power
plant. The. pumps draw their supply
of water from the naval tank, which
holds about 500,000 gallons. One of
the pumps is located beneath the level
of the water in the naval tank, so that
it will never have to suck water up to
its level, thus eliminating a difficulty
which sometimes gives trouble in get-
ting the water started. Besides these
there is an old Blake recriprocating
pump which saved the old medical
building in the summer of 1910, and
no doubt prevented the destruction of
University hall at the time of the fire
in the south. wing a few years ago.
The two rotary pumps can deliver
75,000 gallons each per hour while the
Blake pump can handle 40,000 gallons..
The automobile laboratory has,
among other features of interest, a
flock of eight or ten automobile en-
gines of from one to six cylinders; a
new electric dynamometer for testing,
and a complete chassis. The disap-
pointing thing about the chassis is
that it can not be made to run on its
own power, owing to sundry slices
being cut here and there out of its
most important mechanism. But these'
Icut out places enable one to see just
how the different inside parts of an
automobile work.

The smaller engines and other n
chinery are located on the upper fl
of the mechanical laboratory. On 1
floor, also are two steam turbin
When running full speed, the shaft
one of these machines-the De La
turbine-makes 20,000 turns in a m
ute. The wheel, which carries
blades, on which the steam acts,
only 9 inches in diameter. It it wi
allowed to roll along on the grou
at the speed at which it runs in
turbine, it would make the trip fi
Ann Arbor to Chicago and return
56 minutes, including the climb
State St. hill. Or if a silver do
were tied to the rim of this wh
the centrifugal force would make
try to get away with a pull of abot
ton and a half. Such a machine cc
never save money in this way, bu
is more successful where used for p
ducing power.
The electrical engineering labo
tory occupies the lower floor of
extreme north end of the build:
Electrical machinery gives an obser
an impression quite different from
machinery in the mechanical labo
tory, because, he can not see v
much "works" about them. But
electrical engineer has a number
instruments which tell him what
going on inside his machine. One
the most interesting of these in
electrical laboratory is the osci
graph, used for observing and reco
ing the shape of the wave curve of
lternating current circuit.
To the unmechanically inclined,
new engineering (building offers so
attractions of interest. The pictk
and drawings exhibited by the Depa
ment of Architecture are always
interest.
The department has projecting 1
terns and many hundreds of lani
slides for instructional work. So
of the lanterns have reflecting attE
ments whereby pictures in books
catalogs may be thrown upon
screen.
For the proper ventilation of
building, there are three great fa
besides several smaller ones. The f
are concealed within the dark reces
of the "fan rooms," and are sel
seen by students, except those v
take up the study of Heating and V,
tilation. When the three fans
operating, their combined delis
amounts to about two tons of air
minute.

Quality

Fir

In Furniture, Rugs
Carpets and Draper es

"-- --

the

-t~

nts,

eek, was born at- During the major part of the years
on May 28, 1850,. 1870-1871, he was engaged as an in-
whom were lineal structor in Greek and mathematics at'
New England-set- Kalamazoo college. In the fall of 1871
e of Connecticut he left this position to accept a call
of the future- uni- to the faculty of the University of
msever, they early Michigan, and he has been on the fac-
of Indiana and it ulty of this university ever since. His
easor-Bemar re- jfihst position was as an instructor in
education' which mathematics until 1874, when he was
later university appointed to the post of an assistant
professor in the same subject. In 1882
,ok was taken at he was raised to the chair of associate
and Female col- professor, and in 1887 he was made a
i the preparation full professor of mathematics.
se at the Valpa- He is a member of the American As-
itute.- Upon his sociation for- the Advancement of Sci-
e in 1866, he ma- ence, the American Mathematical so-
versity of Miehi- ciety, and several other national peda-
was graduated in gogic organizations. He has also been
e of Bachelor ,of honored by membership in the London
Mathematical society, the Circolo Mat-
year at the uni- ematico di Palermo, and other foreign
ted to Phi Beta scientific societies. He is a Baptist,
t three years he a Democrat in politics, and an author,
id in 1873 the having written several textbooks on
onferred the de- mathematics that are in general use
rts upon him. in educational institutions throughout
r, in 1908, he re- the country.

7
:. i
i.,.
.l
M *
; 1- y
e":-

'

M1

4

Every article we sell
guaranteed to be lght.
You take no chances.
We also
Repair, U pholste
and Refinish.

SrFurniture Co.
117 and 119 West Liberty Street

is college cour
Collegiate- Insti
a,tion from ther
ated at the Uni
onr which- he-v
with the degre

During his senior
versity, he was elec
Kappa. In the next
did special work, at
Boar d of Regents c
gree of Master of A
Thirty-ie- yearslate

Prof. Lynn W. lHm-h. nf 1-he G t jtesting machines vary from a small

i ava.. Jasta .a..a.. liv ugii 17 . WiG <T"Q,..[i G4.l. [..

..,

DR. IDEN WILLG IVE LECTURES
ONSCIENTIFIC SIDE OF BIBLE
Dr. Thomas M. Iden, who conducts
the Upper Room Bible class and the
university men's class at the Church
of Christ,.will offer a series of lectures
on "Some Scientific Aspects of Reli-
gion and of the Bible," Thursday even-.
ings, beginning tomorrow. The series
willt01s'st of 10otr 12 lectures. They
are open to university students, though
othe t :mad -att~d-, Thete is no ex-
pense connected with attendance upon,

GRADUATES GIVE TRAVELOGUE
ON CHICAGO LECTURE COURSE
Hiram S. Cody, '08, and Arthur F.
Curtis, '11, are lecturing in Chicago
in connection with the annual Chicago
News lecture course. "California and"
Her Expositions" is the subject of one
of the addresses -which Mr. Cody will
give. The other lecture is on the sub-
ject of "Cycling through England and
the Continent."
Mr. Curtis will speak on "The State
of Michigan," and in this connection,
he will show many views of the uni-
versity. All three of the lectures will
be fully illustrated with hand-colored
lantern slides. Mr. Cody's address on
Europe was given in Ann Arbor in
1909 under the auspices of the Cercle
Francais.

Biblical institute, Evanston, Illinois,
will give the next Wesleyan Guild lec-
ture at the Methodist church at 7:30
o'clock Sunday. He will take for his
topic "The Strategy of the Cross."
Professor Hough has held pastorates
in several of the largest eastern
churches, his last charge being the
Mount Vernon Place church in Balti-
more where he served for six years.
He left this field to become head of
the Garrett institute which is run in
connection with Northwestern univer-
sity.
Make Area-meter in Engineering Shop
Among the intricate implemer ts be-
ing made in the engineering shops are
a two spindle polishing table, a de-
vice for graduating. glass and steel
measuring apparatus, and an area-
meter. The first two will be used as
part of the equipment in the'engineer-
ing department.
The area-meter, which is a machine
for automatically calculating areas, is
yet in patent litigation as an inven-
tion of John Airey, an instructor of
mathematics in the engineering de-

force exactly.
On the north side of the archway,
just inside the door, is the entrance to
the marine engineering laboratory and
naval tank. This tank is the only one
'in existence in this country outside the
one at Washington owned by the U. S.
Government. The tank is 300 feet long,
22 feet wide, and 10 feet deep. A trav-
eling bridge spans the width of the
tank on the bridge, of which are lo-
cated the measuring and testing ap-
paratus. The boat model is .pulled
along underneath the bridge, by a part
of the mechanism which projects down
to it. The instruments above draw
lines which furnish a complete record
of the resistance of the model, together
with other important information., The
boat models are made of parafine,
which first are cast, then cut down by
an ingenious machine devised by Prof.
Sadler, to the lines required by the
drawing, and finally finished 'o a
smooth surface by hand.
Farther along, on the same floor, is

one used for measuring the strength
of wire, up to a giant which can exert
a pull or a push of 200,000 pounds,
and at the same time measure that

Why not have something Real
Nifty in a fine Leather, Fur,
Velvet or Silk Program
for that next
Dalloillg Party?
We are equipped to turn out this class
of work in every conceivable
style, shape, form or man-
ner at a minimum cost

The

'ill be given at. the
se, 444 CSouth State:
tin promptly at 6:30
t 7:15 o'clock. They
ied during the exam-,
-will be resunted at

Mayer- Schairer Co.

112 S. Main Street

r

tf partment.

Back to Top

© 2022 Regents of the University of Michigan