Sports Saturday, August 14, 1982 Page 12 The Michigan Daily Tiger bats pound Royals I Whitaker's 2 HRs ignite 10-1 victory By BOB WOJNOWSKI Specialtothe Daily DETROIT- If Milt Wilcox's days as a Detroit Tiger are indeed numbered, then maybe the Detroit brass should think twice about trading him, as Wilcox hurled five masterful innings in his first appearance in more than a month to lead Detroit to a 10-1 victory over Kansas City last night. The Tigers hauled out the heavy lum- ber in support of Wilcox, clouting five hoke runs, including three in the fourth inning, as they won their third straight and second 10-1 game this week. FOR THE second time in three games, Tiger second baseman Lou Whitaker led off the first inning with a home run. The Tigers added another run in the opening frame when Chet Lemon drilled an RBI single to center field.I Wilcox meanwhile, who has been mentioned in trade rumors, was mowing the Royals down, striking out four straight batters in one stretch. Wilcox struck out seven, walked two and gave up only two hits in his five in- nings of work. Pat Underwood came on to start- the sixth and went the rest of the way. The Tigers continued their onslaught off Royals' starter Dave Frost (6-5) with five runs in the fourth inning. Lemon started things off with a single and he rode home on Tom Brookens' seventh home run of the year. After Alan Trammell walked, Whitaker followed with his second home run of the day, his second two-homer game of the week. Whitaker's blast finished Frost, but Glenn Wilson greeted reliever Bill Castro with his fifth homer of the year. THE TIGER bats lay dormant until the eighth when they exploded with three more runs. A single by Rick Leach preceded Trammell's seventh home run of the year and gave the Tigers a 9-1 lead. Wilson's sacrifice fly later in the inning scored the final Detroit run. Kansas City's lone run came in the eighth on an RBI double by Greg Pryor. For the night, the Tigers pounded 14 hits, including three by Whitaker, who has now had at least two hits in six straight games. Every Tiger starter got a hit as Detroit defeated Kansas City for the sixth time in 10 games this year. A crowd of 30,351 saw the Tigers up their season record to 58-55. 4 WK 1a Photo MIKE EASLER OF the Pittsburgh Pirates plows into St. Louis Cardinals' Tom Herr at second base and breaks up the-double play during the third in- ning of last night's game in Pittsburgh. For further details of the Pirates 7-4 victory, see story, Page 11. 1 Hebner out, HoJo in Wpair-Cobb I DETROIT (AP)- The Detroit Tigers yesterday removed popular first baseman Richie Hebner from the ac- tive roster and put his contract up for sale. The move means that other teams have 10 days to pick up Hebner's con- tract. If no team does, the Tigers then can assign the left-handed hitter to the minor leagues or release him, a team spokesman said. THIS SEASON, Hebner is hitting .274 with eight home runs and 18 RBI while seeing action as a first baseman and designated hitter. To fill the spot, the Tigers recalled Howard Johnson from their Triple A farm team at Evansville, Ind., the American League club said. Johnson was to be in uniform for the Tigers' game with the Kansas City Royals Friday night. Johnson, a 21-year-old switch-hitting third baseman batting .321 with 23 homers and 68 RBI at Evansville, bat- ted .188 with one homer and two RBI earlier this season with the Tigers. FOUR CLUBS, including Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, have contacted Heb- ner's agent, Ed Kleven, about a possible deal, Hebner said earlier this week. However, a spokesman for the Phillies, who are in the market for a left-handed pinch hitter, said earlier this week they are not interested in acquiring Hebner's contract, estimated at $265,000, because it is too expensive. A deal involving the 34-year-old veteran had been rumored for some time and had given him a "funny feeling." "It's like I come to the ballpark and get dressed and don't know if I'm going to be here for the game," he said earlier this week. "It's like a plane circling the airport." fight finally set EL PASO, Texas (AP)-,The World Boxing Association heavyweight title fight between champion Mike Weaver and Randy Cobb, twice postponed by in- juries, will take place Oct. 23 in Las Vegas, Nev., the fight's promoter said yesterday. Ron Weathers, a spokesman for Tap- co Promotions Inc. of El Paso, said the afternoon fight will take place in the Ceasars Palace outdoor stadium and will be shown live on CBS-TV. WEAVER will receive $1 million for the fight, while Cobb will get $500,000, Weathers said. The Weaver-Cobb bout was originally scheduled for June 2 in Atlantic City, N.J., but was delayed when Weaver in- jured his hand. The fight was rescheduled for July 25 at Caesars, but was again delayed when Cobb-ranked eighth by the WBA-suffered a split lip. The WBA championship committee then changed its mind several times before deciding to grant a second ex- tension to permit the Weaver-Cobb fight. The committee had refused at fir- st to allow a 90-day extension. RIVAL PROMOTER Don King has gone to court in an attempt to block the Weaver-Cobb fight. King contends that he has signed the WBA's top-ranked contender, Michael Dokes, to fight Weaver. King is suing in federal court to force the WBA to impose a rule that would require Weaver to defend his title against Dokes. King's request for an injunction against the Weaver-Cobb fight will be heard Sept. 7 by U.S. District Court Judge William Conner in New York. "King has done everything he can to sabotage the Weaver-Cobb fight," Weathers said. "But this fight is going to occur on Oct. 23." 4 I / He bnr a Tiger no more