8C - Tuesday, September 3, 2013
The Michigan Daily - michigandaily.com
8C - Tuesday, September 3, 2013 The Michigan Daily - michigandailycom
outage caused by
at North Quad
study for midterms
By AUSTEN HUFFORD
Daily News Editor
FEB. 27, 2013 - On Tuesday
night, in the midst of midterms,
Internet went down across cam-
pus. Service returned at 4:52
a.m. after about five hours.
During the outage, the
Internet was not connected to
the University server, making
CTools and Wolverine Access
inaccessible to outside users.
The problem stemed from Merit
Network, an Ann Arbor-based
Internet service provider for
Michigan's public universities.
"We've got all hands on deck;
we're trying to figure it out,"
Merit CEO Donald Welch said
during the outage.
Welch was not immediately
able to determine the source
of the issue, but said Merit was
experiencing "a lot" of prob-
lems. He said the issue started
at around 11 p.m.
Michigan State University,
Eastern Michigan University,
Grand Valley State University
and Washtenaw Community
College also experienced tech-
Elwood Downing, a spokes-
man for Merit, said the compa-
ny's technicians determined the
source of the issue was at one of
Merit's core routers located in
Chicago, where Merit engineers
were able to determine the core
router was not forwarding the
packets to the greater Internet.
Once the company discov-
ered the issue, Downing said
engineers moved everything'
over manually to another path.
Rob Belinski, a representa-
tive for information and Tech-
nology Services operations,
confirmed Tuesday that stu-
dents on University computers
could access CTools, umich.edu
and Wolverine Access because
they are housed on the Univer-
sity's intranet, which is pow-
ered by local servers. However,
any non-University websites
Although University e-mail
could be accessed, it appeared
that no mail could be sent or
Downing said the problem
only affected a small percent-
age of people served by Merit
Network, as the malfunction
occurred after normal busi-
ness hours. Merit engineers are
reviewing the incident further
to determine if it was a hard-
ware or software malfunction
at the core router.
LSA sophomore Jeffrey But-
ler said he had three midterms
coming up this week and was
"livid" when he lost access to
his courses' resources on the
CTools website' Tuesday night.
He said he usually studies late
at night and the Internet mal-
function was "extremely incon-
"I got through it, but it
unnerved me a lot," Butler said.
LSA freshman Ryne Menhen-
nick said being unable to access
CTools was an issue for him the
night before he had an exam. He
said he solved the complication
by going to the Union and using
site computers to print materi-
"It made studying for mid-
terms difficult ... I was pretty
stressed out," Menhennick said.
-Daily News Editors Alicia
Adamczyk and Taylor Wizner
and Daily Staff Reporter Dani-
elle Stoppelmann contributed
dents displaced they are secure for housing
tonight with cots and linen,"
and classes Logan wrote. "We will continue
to monitor their needs as well
anceled due to as those who chose to not be
broken pipe accommodated by us."
Some students on the "dry
side" of floors three and four
ARON GUGGENHEIM were able to be placed back in
nd PETER SHAHIN their rooms while restoration
lailyStaffReporter and work continues.
Daily News Editor - Although the University had
considered placing students in
RCH 13, 2013 - Around the Executive Training Center
a.m. Thursday morn- at the Business School, Logan
pipe broke at the North added that this option was not
Residential and Aca- necessary.
Complex and began Laundry had been removed
ng student living spaces, from affected rooms and resi-
ooms and common areas, dents have received informa-
ing in the cancellation of tion about picking it up from the
s and partial evacuation North Quad Community Center
ording to Ken Campbell, "Lots of people in Housing,
Quad's maintenance Student Affairs, Security and
anic, abroken joint pipe on Facilities are doing everything
uilding's fire suppression we can to resolve this as quickly
a was responsible for the as possible for our students,"
ng. The break occurred in Logan wrote.
st Stairwell on the fourth Earlier on Thursday, Logan
of the building, he said. said the fourth floor and below
the pipe lost pressure, the had been closed and about 100
automatically turned the students will be displaced at
pump on to add pressure, least for the near future.
rbating the flow from the Above the fifth floor has been
inch pipe. given the "all clear" by officials
npbell estimated that and the elevator has also been
sands and thousands" of deemed safe for use. Students
s poured from the pipe currently have access to these
it was turned off 20 min- areas of the dormitory.
ter. According to an e-mail sent
most immediate concern to students in the School of
aking sure that electrical Information from their dean,
as are safe after possi- Jeff MacKie-Mason, all classes
ing shorted by the water. in the building were canceled
electrical systems were on Thursday.
essed, the facilities staff In an interview later on
ry to repair the damage Thursday, Logan added that
sess the value of the loss, students would not be com-
includes several ruined pensated for personal items
iters. All drywall and damaged or destroyed by the
g tiles will also have to be flood. Residents will have to
ed. file claims with their parents'
mpbell speculated that it homeowners insurance or
take at least a month to independent renter's insurance
in orde receive compensa-
an e-mail se;nt to The tion f -hei rs
gan Daily at 11:50 p.m. At the earliest, most students
hursday, Peter Logan, who live on the third or fourth
sperson for University floor of the building will be
ng, wrote that all of the allowed to move back into their
ximately 100 students room on Saturday or sometime
ed by the flooding were next week. In the meantime,
nted for and had alter- residents will be allowed to
ccommodations for the return to collect their personal
ng. Most students had belongings while restoration
placed in other rooms in services continue.
Quad and emergency Students who have classes
s in Cambridge House. in North Quad should check
ugh "unlikely," Logan department websites for infor-
that if any additional mation about alternative class-
nts were found to be in room assignments.
of housing, they would Moisture was seeping
aced in Mosher-Jordan through the ceiling and other
ence Hall or Northwood fixtures in the building as
ments emergency spac- instructors and faculty tried
to determine the best couse of
students were confirmed action. In pictures sent to The
unicated with to assure Michigan Daily, water is seen
flowing into a classroom and
LSA senior Adam Kleven
was in a class in North Quad at
the time of the evacuation and
said people were making noise
in the hallway before anyone
in the room was aware of the
flood. When the instructor
went to investigate, she saw
the water creeping down the
"It got pretty bad at one
point; the water went pretty
much across the whole room,"
Kleven said. "When the water
started creeping into our class-
room, our teacher gave me a
number to call ... The guy on the
phone started laughing."
At about 11:25 p.m., main-
tenance staff told the class to
leave the building. While exit-
ing, Kleven described water
flowing freely down the stair-
cases and across the hallways.
North Quad opened for aca-
demic and residential use in
fall 2010. Commanding a price
tag of $175 million, it is also the
newest residence hall at the
University. At full capacity, the
building houses 450 upper-level
undergraduate students and has
facilities for television produc-
tion, performance areas, class-
room and seminar spaces, and a
large computer lab.
Mildew and mold will likely
be an ongoing concern during
the extensive restoration pro-
cess. The value of damage to
the building has not yet been
assessed by the University.
The Sweetland Writing Cen-
ter is also based out of the base-
mentof NorthQuad. Ithas since
been relocated to the Modern
Language Building because of
Three firms worked on dif-
ferent facets of the project and
it is unclear at this time which
firm was responsible for install-
ing the fire safety system that
I - n
Mwiqa Upnion P pi ono
Buy a Macbook Pro* and an iPad", save an extra $20!
Decd ends 9/.13. Mac book and T~ad must be purchased together. A
Offer valid on mn-stock models only. e
Iand ® 2013 Apple Inc Authorized C
All rights reserved. Campus Store