_®. .. . . e 17* S S.. __*._ TL. ....A... n n
S U V
The Michigan Daily Weeken I4
8B - The Michigan Daily Weekend Magazme - inursaay, Apri 2, i 9
Photostory by Nathan Ruff
Clockwise from to p left:
* Bill Martell, a financial aid officer at the 'U,' puts his re
* The male fancy dancers are known for their stamina, hij
* The drum is viewed by Native American peoples as the
* Native Americans from throughout the nation were on h
* The dancers' colorful and individual outfits, commonly
by friends and family members.
The local Native American community held the first Ann Arbor Pow Wow
in 1972, in an area just outside of town. This event has led to 26 annual
gatherings of Native American and First Nation peoples. Because of the
increased popularity of the Pow Wow, Crisler Arena is now the host site for
this event, which attracted about 10,000 people this past weekend. Honor,
respect and generosity are the values on which the Pow Wow is based.
Dedicated artists follow the Pow Wow all across the continent to celebrate
their rich heritage through dance and song.