Independent Libraries Enrich U-M's Research Environment
In addition to the University Library system, several independently administered libraries richly contribute to the University's broad
William L. Clements Library, 909 South University, 764-2347
Established in 1922, the Clements Library houses primary source material for the study of America from its discovery through the
nineteenth century. The Americana include rare books, manuscripts, maps, music, prints, original art, and newspapers and periodicals
in holdings of some 60,000 volumes, 1,000 feet of manuscripts, 2,000 prints, and 40,000 pieces of nineteenth-century sheet music.
The Clements is internationally known for its collections of seventeenth and eighteenth century Americana and for manuscripts
relating to the British side of the American Revolutionary War. Long known for its collections pertaining to the American anti-
slavery movement, the Library has greatly increased its holdings in Civil War soldiers' letters and journals, as well as in manuscripts
generally related to American social and economic history.
The Clements Library may be used by UM faculty members and students holding valid identification. The collections are most
useful to researchers who are already well prepared in relevant secondary literature. Further details about using the Library's resources
may be gathered in a meeting with a staff member.
Gerald R. Ford Library, 1000 Beal Avenue, North Campus, 668-2218
The Gerald R. Ford Library is part of a system of presidential libraries administered by the National Archives and Records Admini-
stration. It collects, preserves, and promotes research into the history of the career of President Ford and of contemporaneous public
issues. Collections include millions of paper and audio-visual items accumulated by Mr. Ford and his advisors and assistants during
more than a quarter-century of public service. Its related holdings include the papers of Arthur Burns, Chairman of the Federal
Reserve Board, and records of the National Council for U.S.-China Trade. The Ford Library serves students, teachers, scholars,
lawyers, journalists, government officials, and other citizens who have research interests in recent United States history. Library staff
members conduct two senior-level courses on the presidency each year, using the Library's collections as primary source materials.
Kresge Business Administration Library, School of Business Administration, 764-7356
The Kresge Business Administration Library is one of the nation's largest business libraries. Its 207,000 volumes cover such areas
as accounting and finance, business economics and public policy, computer and information systems, corporate strategy and opera-
tions management, insurance, international business, law and history, marketing, organizational behavior, real estate, and statistics and
management science. The Library also malntains special collections of corporate annual reports, 1OKs and proxies, corporate and
industry research reports, and working papers. CD-ROM systems provide access to citation, abstracts, and full text of business-related
articles and to a variety of company information from SEC filings. Its Career Resources Center provides extensive information files
on many companies. Borrowing privileges are generally extended to all University faculty, staff, and students. During certain posted
hours in the regular school year, only Business Administration faculty, staff, and students, and others with permission, may use the
Law Library, Law Quadrangle, 764-9322
The Law Library is an important center for legal research not only for faculty and students in the School of Law; lawyers, judges,
and scholars from elsewhere in America and from foreign nations make extensive use of the Library's 660,000 volumes, too. The col-
lection includes reports of American federal and state courts and court reports from Great Britain and the Commonwealth and most
European and South American countries. Current and pastconstitutions of most nations and of the American states are also held.
Legal documents of the United Nations, the European community, and other supra-national authorities are collected; the Library is a
depository for EEC documents. Extensive holdings in the fields of Roman law, international and comparative law, trials, biography,
and legal bibliography are maintained. LEXIS and WESTLAW online systems are heavily used for research. Use of the Law Library
is open to the UM community under separate regulations, which may be obtained by calling or visiting the main public service desk.
Michigan Historical Collections, Bentley Historical Library, 1150 Beal Avenue, North Campus, 764-3482
Established in 1935, Michigan Historical Collections gathers and preserves materials documenting the history of the State-of
Michigan. The archives of the University of Michigan are also held here. Resources consist of manuscript and printed collections,
along with photographs, maps, newspapers, audio-visual materials, and ephemera. The Guide to Manuscripts in the Bentley Historical
Library (1976) is the essential introduction to these holdings. The Bentley, a closed-stack, non-circulating research library, provides a
quiet reading room and staff assistance for its users. Researchers requiring audio-visual materials are asked to make arrangements
ahead of their visits. The Library welcomes interest from the entire UM community and issues a "Guide to the Use of the Bentley
Historical Library" to acquaint researchers with its rules and services. The archival and manuscript collections of the library have
been entered into the national RLIN-AMC database.
...continuedfrom page 3
collection emphasizes Michigan, the
Great Lakes region, the U.S., Canada,
Mexico, Europe and Japan. The Library
also holds some cartographic journals,
aerial photographs of Washtenaw
County, and remotely sensed images of
Documents Center - Room 320 North
The Documents Center offers refer-
ence services and access to publications
of government bodies. The University re-
ceives approximately 82% of all items
ublished by the federal government each
It is also a depository for the State
o.ichigan, the United Nations, the
Food and Agricultural Organization, the
South Pacific Commission, and the
government of Canada.
Many U.S. documents issued since
1983 are located in the Documents Cen-
ter itself. Holdings focus especially on
aspects of foreign relations, economics,
federal laws, social welfare, civil ser-
vice, education, and statistics. Many
specialized documents are sent to our
branch and divisional libraries.
The Center now offers a number of
electronic databases, including Super-
map, for access to the displays of 1980
county census data; the Hannah Associ-
ates database on daily governmental de-
velopments in the Michigan and Ohio
legislatures; and the Economic Bulletin
Board, from the Department of Com-
The library contains four departments
staffed by specialists performing services
in cooperation with the university's mul-
tidisciplinary area study centers. The
Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria and Albania,
holds over 325,000 titles and 1,250
periodicals. Rooms 117A-117E Hatcher,
764-7522. Barbara Galik, Head, and
Coordinator, Area Programs.
South Asia Division.
This collection, covering Afghanistan,
Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal,
Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Tibet (Buddhist
Studies), holds 265,000 titles written in
the many languages of the region.
Rooms 111H-1111 Hatcher, 936-2344.
Om P. Sharma, Head. .
Southeast Asia Division.
This collection, which covers Burma,
Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos,
Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore,
Thailand and Vietnam, includes over
115,000 titles. Research material
regarding Australia and New Zealand can
be found as well. Rooms IllG-IltJ,
764-7523. Fe Susan Go, Head.
Faculty Microcomputer Center
Room 106 North
Macintosh and Zenith microcomputers,
various software programs, dot-matrix
and LaserWriter printers are available to
faculty members. Computers may be re-
served by individuals or groups or used
on a walk-in basis when available.
Faculty Study Area - Room 110 North
Keys to this quiet study area may be
obtained from Circulation Services,
Room 104 (North Lobby).
North and South Lobbies
Library materials may be charged out
and renewed at the north and south circu-
lation desks. The north desk also takes
requests for delivery of items held at
Buhr, initiates searches for unlocated ma-
terials, places currently circulating items
on hold or recall, and collects fines.
Room 2 North
This unit provides photocopying on a
fee basis. Itis especially helpful for
copying materials that are not well suited
for use at self-service photocopiers. Pho-
toduplication machines are available in
many areas of the building and can be
operated by coins or VendaCards, which
are sold from machines in several
locations in the Library sytem.
Hours: M-Thurs., Sam-Midnight; F, 8am-
10pm; Sat.,1loam-6pm; Sun., 1pm-
Midnight. This schedule varies during
breaks and holiday and intersession
Buhr Facility Provides Space, Safety
Crowded stacks and the need to protect Titles held at Buhr are listed in the
valuable books led to the opening of the card catalog and/or in the Geac auto-
Buhr remote shelving facility several mated circulation system. Items re-
years ago. The facility, located about a quested at Library service desks Sunday
half-mile west of Central Campus, through Thursday are delivered for pick-
shelves materials on the basis of such up by patrons the next day. Friday and
factors as date of publication, past use by Saturday requests are filled on the
patrons, out-of-print status, and physical following Mondays. Users may visit
condition. Large sets and portfolios Buhr in person to borrow circulating
containing loose items are also com- items or read materials there. Buhr,
monly shelved at Buhr. located at 837 Greene Street, is open
The Buhr facility protects materials in from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday
a controlled environment averaging 65 through Friday. Call 763-9089 for
degrees at 50 percent relative humidity. information.
Materials are protected from the effects
of sunlight, pollution, high temperature Gr:duok Ubrwy T rs
humidity, and poor handling. p
To maximize use of space, Buhr is a tous ofm Ia .Lbaryreofsrd
"high-density facility," where books are
arranged in closed stacks by size rather 1k4<nd+gen Eit r-
than by call numbers. Upon request, staff tdoo S Roots l(4I'rt.
members will retrieve items for users; a
comfortable reading room is also avail- RefrnSevicsRoom 209 North,
able for viewing materials. 7g.I4
Near East Division.
This collection, which contains nearly
250,000 titles and 1,000 periodicals,
covers North Africa, Southwest Asia,
Asia Minor, and Central Asia. Titles in
Hebrew, Arabic, Turkish, and Farsi are
available. Rooms 111D-111F North, 764-
7555. Jonathan Rodgers, Head.
Slavic and East European Division.
This collection, covering the Soviet
Union (including all 15 republics),
Yugoslavia, Poland, Hungary, Romania,