SMOKE POURS FROM the Dutch luxury liner "Prinsendam," which caught fire in the Gulf of Alaska yesterday forcing all 510 people aboard to abandon
ship in rough seas.
Ship fire sends 500 into rafts
WASHINGTON, D.C.-LANSING, MI.
Interested in working in Washington, D.C., or Lans-
ing, Michigan, during summer, 1981?-Come fine out
how at the University of Michigan's Public Service
Intern Program Mass Meeting. Summer internships
are available in legislative offices, executive offices
and agencies, the judiciary, lobbying organizations,
and the media. Financial assistance available.
ORGANIZATIONAL MASS MEETING
OCTOBER 8 AONLY
(Continued from Page 1)
Shorthy after 5 a.m. PDT, a message
from the ship said "the fire has spread
from the engine room to the dining
room," Massey said.
At 6:15 a.m. the call was sounded to
abandon ship, and more than 400 people
were lowered into lifeboats about 12
miles west of Glacier Bay National
Monument, Massey skid.
Massey said loss of water pressure
because of the fire left the luxury liner
without firefighting capacity. Coast
Guard rescue craft brought firefighting
equipment, he said.
ALERTED AT the time of the first'
SOS, the Williamsburgh detoured from
its voyage from Valdez, Alaska, to
Texas and arrived on the scene to begin
taking aboard passengers and crew
members about three hours after the
lifeboats were lowered shortly after 6
When the rescue is completed, the
Coast Guard said the Williamsburgh,.
captained by Arthur Fertig, would take
the survivors to Valdez, Alaska, the
southern terminus of the 800-mile tran-
"I TALKED to some of the
passengers a little while ago and they
seem to be typical survivors," said
radio officer Jim Pfister of the
Williamsburgh in a ship-to-shore inter-
"They seem to be very nervous. They
woke in the middle of the night with ex-
plosions and smoke in the, hallways.
They didn't know what was really going
on until they had to abandontship."
NAPERVILLE, Ill. (AP)-A fire
swept a third-floor lounge and hallway
area in a home for retarded adults
early yesterday, killing three male
residents, fire officials said.
The blaze in the Little Friends Com-
munity Living Facility was spotted
around 2 a.m., Fire Chief Arnold Hodel.
said, and was extinguished 15 minutes
after firefighters arrived.
THE VICTIMS, whose names were
withheld pending the notification of
their families, died of smoke inhalation,
a spokesman at Edward Hospital said.
One victim, who apparently was
trying to escape the blaze, was found in
the hallway, while the other two victims
were found in a bedroom near the
lounge, authorities reported.
Fire officials said they have not
determined the cause of the fire. A
recent inspection by the state fire mar-
shal's office turned up minor fire code
violations, but "there was nothing
major or we wouldn't be open," said
Jack Ryan, executive director.
Public Service Intern Roam
The Discount Top Shop
Shirts * Blouses * Sweaters "
Blazers * Skirts * Pants * Jeans
All at Moneysaving Prices
For Campus and Career
Fashion For Less
a 'p"?j A
f x +y
1 ., d