Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Download this Issue


Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

This collection, digitized in collaboration with the Michigan Daily and the Board for Student Publications, contains materials that are protected by copyright law. Access to these materials is provided for non-profit educational and research purposes. If you use an item from this collection, it is your responsibility to consider the work's copyright status and obtain any required permission.

August 05, 1975 - Image 1

Resource type:
Michigan Daily, 1975-08-05

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

The Michigan Daily
Vol. LXXXV, No. 56-S Ann Arbor, Michigan-Tuesday, August 5, 1975 Ten Cents Eight Pages

Japan accepts terrorists

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (P) - Japan ar-
ranged yesterday to free five Red Army mem-
bers from Japanese prisons in exchange for the
lives of an estimated 50 hostages held under
death threat in a 12-story building here. Among
the captives are U. S. Consul Robert Stebbins
and the Swedish charge d'affaires.
Negotiations stalled, however, over two more
prisoners who rejected the scheme, and the hos-
tages entered their second day of captivity.
A DC8 JET from Japan Air Lines was standing
by at Tokyo's Haneda airport .to bring the freed
terrorists here, but a snag developed when two
prisoners turned thumbs down on the exchange
deal. Japanese officials said five agreed but one
said no because he belonged to a rival faction
and a second rejected the plan because of ill
The half - dozen Red Army members who
stormed the building Monday morning demand-
ed the release of seven of their comrades in the
Japanese Red Army, but the Tokyo government
said two refused to be involved.
A watchman and two policemen were wound-
ed in the attack on the building that houses the
U- S. and Swedish embassies on the ninth floor.
The terrorists threatened to blow up the struc-
ture unless their imprisoned comrades were
flown here from Japan. One deadline passed
without incident.
MORE THAN 100 policemen, 40 firemen and
five fire trucks were in position around the build-
ing. Lights on the 9th and 12th floors remained
on throughout the night. More than 5,000 people
gathered around the building as news of the
siege spread, but the crowd had dwindled to
about 400 orderly onlookers yesterdayy.
In a telephone call to Kuala Lumpur's New
Straits Times newspaper, one of the Red Army
members said he wanted to talk to his jailed
comrades in Tokyo.
"We told the Japanese diplomat, who has
been in contact with us, that we want to speak
to our comrades by phone before they leave
Tokyo," he said. He added that the hostages
were well and sleeping.
WHEN ASKED to identify himself, he replied
"I have no name."
The caller expressed the Red Army's dedica-
nounce our solidarity with the Laotian, Vietna-
mese and Cambodian revolutionary people. Long
live the Palestinian people's struggle."
See JAPAN, Page 5

AP Photo
A security man who was wounded in the thigh by Red Army members during a takeover of the U.S. Embassy in
Kuala Lumpur Monday is carried to safety by photographer Tan Hong Kuan of the Strait Free Press, second from
left, and two unidentified men. The terrorists seized hostages and demanded freedom for seven Red Army mem-
bers jailed in Japan.

Jury deadlocked
in Gurney case
TAMPA, Fla. (AP-Jurors in former Sen. Edward Gurney's
influence peddling trial reported yesterday they had reached
verdicts on some charges but were deadlocks on others. The
judge sealed the verdicts without looking at them and ordered
the panel to try to resolve the impasse.
"After long and careful deliberation on all charges and all
the defendants, we have been able to come to verdicts on some
defendants and some charges on others, but not all," the jury
said in a note to U.S. District Judge Ben Krentzman after 46
hours of deliberation over eight days.
"WE THE JURY, unanimously and emphatically agree that
we have reached all the verdicts that can possibly be reached,
regardless of further deliberations," the six-man, six-woman
panel said.
But Krentzman, following an hour-long secret bench con-
ference, ordered the verdicts sealed in an envelope and locked in.
a vault until the jury made another effort to reach a unanimous
decision on all 11 counts of the indictment.
Gurney, 61, onetime aide Joseph Bastien, 33, and former
Federal Housing Administration officials Ralph Koontz, 51, and
K. Wayne Swiger, 61, are charged with conspiring to shake down
Florida builders for campaign contributions in return for favored
treatment from the FIA.
See JURY, Page 5

FBI launches nationwide
search for Jimmy Hoffa

DETROIT (UPI) - The FBI threw its en-
tire resources last night into the search for
the man who was once its arch-enemy, miss-
ing former Teamsters President James Hoffa.
Agents, acing on orders from FBI Director
Clarence Kelley, moved into the white frame
Hoffa summer .home where the fallen labor
czar's wife, son and daughter have been
waiting for him to come home since his dis-
appearance last Wednesday.
MEANTIME, a former union official, Daniel
Sullivan, quoted Hoffa as saying in 1974 that
former Teamsters Vice President Anthony'
"Tony Pro" Provenzano once threatened to
kill Hoffa or kidnap his grandchildren. Sul-
livan said Hoffa told him that "Tony Pro
threatened to pull my guts out or kidnap my
grandchildren if I continued to attempt to
return" to the Teamsters presidency.
Hoffa's daughter, Barbara Crancer of St.
Louis, Mo., was believed to have been the
moving forcein getting the FBI to enter the

case Sunday night. Family friends said she
called Kelley personally and told him, "You
used 2,040 agents to put my father in jail and
up to now have used only two agents to find
IT WAS reported FBI task forces were at
work in major cities throughout the country
seeking out leads as to how Hoffa, battling to
regain control of the 2.2 million union which
is the nation's most powerful, could have been
lured from a restaurant parking lot where he
had planned to meet a reputed chieftain and
two other men - all three of whom deny
planning to meet Hoffa.
Hoffa disappeared at a time when he was
believed to be mobilizing his considerable
forces to regain control of the union which he
relinquished to his onetime friend, Frank
Fitzsimmons, as a prelude to the commuta-
tion of his sentence in 1971 by then President
See SEARCH, Page S

Back to Top

© 2023 Regents of the University of Michigan