At Shaarit Haplaytah's annual
Holocaust memorial academy,
hundreds of Detroiters recalled
the Six Million martyrs.
ALAN HITSKY ASSOCIATE EDITOR
PHOTOGRAPHS BY DANIEL LIPPITT
Top left: Sandy Pliskow of the Jewish War Veterans salutes during the Pledge of Allegiance.
Top right: Rita Huppert Frumin delivers recitations.
Above: Holocaust survivor Chaja Sara Blank remembers during the memorial service.
nnually, it is one of the most somber events on the
•community calendar. But hundreds of Detroiters
filled the Jewish Community Center's Shiffman
Hall and crowded around the eternal flame at the
adjacent Holocaust Memorial Center (HMC) on
Sunday to commemorate the 6 million Jews who
perished at the hands of the Nazis during World
The annils1 program, sponsored by the Shaar-
it Haplaytah survivors organization and the
HMC, included military personnel from Self-
ridge Air National Guard Base representing
the U.S. military units that liberated concentration camps
in 1945. Col. Ronald W. Rubin, vice commander of the
127th Fighter Wing, spoke briefly on behalf of the libera-
Other speakers included Harry Praw and Abraham We-
berman of Shaarit Haplaytah; Saul Waldman, Gustav
Berenholz and Rabbi Charles Rosenzveig of the HMC; Dr.
Charles Silow of Children of Holocaust Survivors Associ-
ation in Michigan; Allen Zemmol of the Jewish Commu-
nity Council; and Barbara Gray of the Detroit Interfaith
Two of the most moving moments came in recitations
by Shari Ferber Kaufman and Rita Huppert Frumin, and
during a speech by the Most Rev. Moses B. Anderson, aux-
iliary bishop of the Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit. _
Cantor Chaim Najman sang the U.S. and Israeli na-
tional anthems and memorial renditions, and led the au-
dience in "The Partisans' Song" and "Ani Maamin."