100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials may be under copyright. If you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact the Bentley Historical Library at bentley.ref@umich.edu

August 10, 1979 - Image 1

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Detroit Jewish News, 1979-08-10

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

U.S. Holocaust Commission Places a 'Jewish' Wreath at Babi Yar

WASHINGTON (JTA) β€” A wreath, stating for the
first time that Jews had died at Babi Yar, was placed at the
Babi Yar Monument in Kiev last Friday by members of
President Carter's Commission for the Holocaust.
The wreath contained English, Russian, Yiddish and
Hebrew inscriptions saying it was from a Presidential
commission formed to establish a memorial "toβ€’ the catas-
trophe that overtook European Jewry."

The Mounting
Prejudices:
Israel's Enemies
Attain Notoriety
on Many Fronts

Writer Elie Wiesel, chairman of the commission, said
that between Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur in 1941, more
than 90,000 Jews were machinegunned by Nazi troops. The
official estimate is 70,000.
Ten members of the commission, accompanied by
34 advisers and others, are on a tour to study what
type of Holocaust memorial should be established in
the U.S.

Before coming to the Soviet Union, they inspected
Polish memorials at the Nazi death camps at Maidanek,
Treblinka and Auschwitz. The commission, representing
Jewish and Christian organizations, is visiting Copehna-
gen and Jerusalem.
They attended services at the crowded Moscow
Synagogue last Saturday and members of the congregation
rushed to talk to them at the conclusion.

HE JEWISH NEWS

A %VeekIN Revietu

Commentary, Page 2

of knish Events

`One-Sided Piety'
Scrutinized

Wallenberg Case:
PR Fiasco

Diaspora Jewry
Is Being Tested

Editorials, Page 4

VOL. LXXV, No. 23 17515 W. Nine Mile, Suite 865, Southfield, Mich. 48075 424-8833 $12.00 Per Year: This Issue 30c

Aug. 10, 1979

Carter -Vance Reassurances
Easing U.S.-Israeli Tensions

WASHINGTON β€” Top officials of the Carter Administration, including the
President, Vice President Walter Mondale and Secretary of State Cyrus Vance,
concluded a week of reassuring Israel on the U.S. position towards the Palestine
Liberation Organization and UN Security Council Resolution 242 by holding a
90-minute working lunch with Israeli Ambassador Ephraim Evron on Wednes-
day.
Following the luncheon, Vance met with reporters with Evron at his side
and stated again that the U.S.-Israeli friendship was strong. Details of the
working luncheon were not disclosed. Vance said Evron would now report back
to the Israeli government with a note from President Carter. Carter, Vance, and
national security adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski attended the meeting with Ev-
ron.

CYRUS VANCE

WALTER MONDALE

JIMMY CARTER

Sen. Richard Stone (D-Fla.), chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations
subcommittee on the Middle East, had earlier been quoted in Israel as saying
that the U.S. would adhere to its promise not to deal with the PLO until it
recognized Resolution 242 and recognized Israel's right to live peacefully within
secure borders.
Stone also said that Vance assured him the U.S. would veto a pending
UN Security Council resolution on Palestinian rights as it now stands
because it would alter 242 by calling for granting Palestinian self-
determination and the right to an independent state.
Israel Foreign Minister Moshe Dayan had said in interviews with the press
that the American stance towards Israel was "not just an erosion, but a funda-

(Continued on Page 6)

EPHRAIM EVRON

RICHARD STONE

DANIEL MOYNIHAN

Jewish Residents Organizing
Israeli Editors Say Farewell
to Southern Sinai Desert Region a Temple in Livingston County

By MOSHE RON

The Jewish News Special Israel Correspondent

TEL AVIV β€” A group of editors of the Israeli newspapers recently flew with Deputy
Dcifense Minister Mordecai Zipori to southern Sinai. We know that we were going to say
'bye to parts of this area, which is being returned to Egypt.
Three times Israel has occupied Sinai. In 1948, during the War of Independence, the
commander of the southern front, Yigal Allon, pushed his army deep into Sinai. In 1956,
Israeli troops occupied the whole Sinai area. After both campaigns, Israel yielded to
international pressure and withdrew its forces.
The third time Israeli troops moved into Sinai,
during the Six-Day War in June 1967, they occupied
the whole area again. For 12 years it has been under
Israeli occupation. Billions of Israeli pounds were in-
vested in developing this area, building roads and
military airfields.
In 1948 and 1957, Sinai was returned to the Egyptians
after the Israelis had destroyed all their installations. This
time everything will be left to the Egyptians according to
the peace treaty signed by both countries.
We were interested in the fate of 11,000 Bedouins who
are living in southern Sinai. In our talks with some
sheikhs, they admitted that they are not too happy. They
defined the 12 years under Israeli rule as their "seven fat
years." During this time a big change occurred in their
style of life. Instead of tents they are living today in small
houses. Their camels and donkeys have given way to cars
MOSHE RON
(Continued on Page 5)

A group of Jewish families in Livingston County are organizing a new congregation
and expect to have services for the High Holy Days in Brighton and on a regular basis
thereafter.
Some 22 families met at an organizational meeting in Brighton last week. The group
was offered two church buildings and a school to use for services.
Barbara Levy of Brighton initiated the idea for a congregation. The Levys moved
from the Detroit area to Brighton more than a year ago and the idea for a congregation
evolved after a search for a Hebrew tutor for the three Levy sons.
The initial meeting Aug. 2 resulted from newspaper articles in Livingston
County papers. Mrs. Levy said that in addition to the 22 families represented at
the meeting, 14 more in Brighton, Hartland, Howell and other communities had
expressed an interest.
The new congregation has yet to be named. It has had offers of assistance from
Brighton's first Presbyterian Church and St. Paul's Episcopal Church, which offered
their buildings for meetings and services, and Temple Beth Emeth in Ann Arbor which
offered a portable Aron Kodesh.
A site committee met this week to discuss the use of the churches or a school and an
executive committee was also scheduled to meet. The entire group will meet again next
week to discuss organization, a site and dues.
Rabbi David Hachen, regional director for the Union of American Hebrew Congre-
gations (Reform) has been advising the group, and attended the initial meeting with
Rabbi Ralph Mecklenberger of Temple Beth Emeth and James Fuller, president of the
Metropolitan Detroit Federation of Reform Synagogues.
The new congregation plans to hold services for Rosh Hashana and Yom
Kippur with the aid of a student rabbi from Hebrew Union College.
For information about the new congregation, call Barbara Levy in Brighton, 227-
2603, or in Oak Park, 398-0152.

Back to Top

© 2021 Regents of the University of Michigan