100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials may be under copyright. If you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact the Bentley Historical Library at bentley.ref@umich.edu

November 24, 1978 - Image 33

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Detroit Jewish News, 1978-11-24

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE JEWISH NEWS — 7

A Quarter Century of Service

(Continued from Page 6)

pansion of the Gift Shop,
a Coffee Shop, the instal-
lation of a cardiac
catheterizatioh labora-
tory (a gift of the Guild)
and medical intensive
care unit and the expan-
sion of the clinical
laboratory and radiology
area.

Groundbreaking for
the Louis C. and Edith B.
Blumberg Professional
Building on the Sinai
campus took place.

Milton M. Maddin was
elected president of the
Board of-Trustees.

1972

Lenore Dunsky was
named President of the
Guild.

The Louis C. and Edith
B. Blumberg Profes-
sional Building, a four-
story office complex on
the north side of the
campus, was completed.
Structure sis tenanted by
physicians on the Sinai
staff and houses various
medical and administra-
tive departments of the
hospital.

1975

The Samuel and
Isabelle Friedman De-
partment of Laboratory
Medicine expanded this
year while the Cardjac
Catheterization Labora-
tory , and Heart Testing
Station opened. The new
eight-bed Medical Inten-
sive Care Unit became
operational. The Re-
h'abilitation Medicine
Out-Patient Treatment
Center was expanded
and improved.

An additional contribu-
tion to the James and
Lynelle Holden Fund
added to the support '34
the linear accelerator
project.

The Nathan Fishman
Center Department of

Tillie Martin was
named President of the
Guild.

Herbert A. Aronsson
was named President of
the Shapero School of
Nursing.

Rehabilitation Medicine
was dedicated.

1976

Lloyd J. Paul, M.D.,
was elected Chief of
Staff.

Sol Eisenberg was
• elected President of the
Board of Trustees.

Jane Blumberg was
named President of the
Guild.

Robert R. Luby, Ed.D.,
was named President of
the Shapero School of
Nursing.

1977

Since the Guild was
founded, the organiza-
tion's 4,900 members
have contributed more
than $1 1/4 million to Sinai
Hospital programS. Over
$500,000 of those dol-
lars were Guild Gift Shop
profits donated to sup-
port research programs.

The acquisition of a
$500,000 Computed
Tomographic (CT)
Scanner, a revolutionary
new type of diagnostic
equipfnent, was made
possible through a gift of
Mr. and Mrs. Robert M.
Zell.

.

tion. Announcements of
gifts to the fund will be
forthcoming in a sepa-
rate publication.
* * *

Note: Financial assis-
tance to Sinai Hospital
was also rendered via
Government grants such
as the United States Pub-
lic Health Service for the
psychiatry in-patient unit
(4-South) in 1958; Na-
tional Institutes of Health
for the research building
in 1966; and from our
own- local resources, i.e.
Greater Detroit Hospital
Fund for the original
building in 1948, fol-
lowed by allocations
from the United Founda-
tion Capital Fund Divi-
sion for such projects as
Patient Care Facilities,
Research Building,
Radiotherapy Center,
House ,Staff Residence,
Auditorium, Boiier and
Incinerator, all in 1966; -
Rehabilitation Medicine
in 1972; and Emergency
Room Renovation in
1977.

1978

The Sylvia and Robert
Zell Neuroradiology
Suite was named.

Jean Shapero was
named President of the

A $1 million gift from
Harold and Goldie Soble
launched a $20 million
medical endowment
fund in conjunction with
the United Jewish
Charities for the needs of
Sinai Hospital. The fund
will go toward sustaining
and developing pro-
grams in the areas of
medical care, research,
development and educa-

The Presidents

Of the Guild

1973

A 750-car capacity
parking structure was
completed this year.

Alice Zemon
1958 1960

Celia Broder
1953 1956

The Problems of Daily
Living Clinic was insti-
tuted as an innovative
outpatient service of the
Department of
Psychiatry.

-

-

Eli M. Brown, M.D.,
was elected Chief of
Staff.

1974

„agilg

Rose Greenberg
1960 1962

-

Ruth Hermanoff
1962 1964

-

Kiki Sills
1964 1966

-

Esther Maddin
1966 1968 .

-

44,W.

This year marked the
start of a construction
program including a
central receiving build-
ing, a service building
addition, the relocation of
the Guild offices, the ex-

Diane Hauser
1970-1972

Beryl Winkelman
1968 1970

-

Tillie Martin
.• 1972-1974

Lenore Dunsky
1974-1976

Jane Blumberg
1976 1978

-

Jean Shapero
1978-

Back to Top

© 2021 Regents of the University of Michigan