100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials may be under copyright. If you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact the Bentley Historical Library at bentley.ref@umich.edu

August 19, 1977 - Image 1

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Detroit Jewish News, 1977-08-19

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

THE JEWISH NEWS

Noted British
Author's Personal
Investigations
Refute Anti-Israel
Articles in
London Times

A Weekly Review

Commentary, Page 2

VOL. LXXI, No. 24

-

I Jewish

17515 W. Nine Mile, Suite 865, Southfield, Mich. 48075 424-8833

Events

$10.00 Per Year; This Issue 30 1

The Threat of a
Fifth Column
to Israelis

Lunacy Menacing
Human Rights

Editorials, Page 4

August 19,1977

Carter's 'Love Letter' to Menahem
"Heartens Israel's Friendship Role

Wiesenthal Renews Charge,
Believes Roschmann Dead

NEW YORK—Amid strained relations between West Germany and
Italy over the escape of Nazi war criminal Herbert Kappler from a
Rome hospital, and the reported death in Paraguay of the commander
of the Riga death camp, Eduard Roschmann, Nazi hunter Simon Wie-
senthal in Vienna has renewed his claim that Josef Mengele, the
"Death Doctor of Auschwitz," is alive in Paraguay.
Mengele, camp physician at Auschwiti and an SS lieutenant colonel,
is accused of participating in medical experiments that led to the
deaths of hundreds of concentration camp inmates.
After first disbelieving reports of Roschmann's death, Wiesenthal
said he is now "75 percent sure" that the body found in Asuncion, Par-
aguay last week was that of Roschmann, "the Butcher of Riga."

Roschmann is accused of supervising
the slaughter of 40,000 Jews from 1941 to
1943 in the Riga camp. Roschmann es-
caped to Argentina after the war, where
he lived under a series of aliases. Last
month Argentine authorities announced
that they had agreed to act on a West
German extradition request for Rosch-
mann, but he fled the country.
A Latin newspaper reported that the

delicatessen of a German Jew who identi-
fied Roschmann's body last week was
the target of shots fired last Friday.
Emilio Wolff, the delicatessen owner, re-
portedly was a camp inmate at Riga
where -his parents and sister were exe-
WIESENTHAL
cuted.
In a related development, the Swiss government has introduced a
law to ablish the 20-year statue of limitations on war crimes, crimes
against humanity and terrorism, saying that unless the change was
made the country could become a haven for war criminals.
Meanwhile, Kappler, the 70-year-old former Rome Gestapo chief
who was serving a life sentence for ordering the shooting of 330 Ital-
ians and Jews is now in West Germany. This was confirmed by the
state prosecutor for the north German district of Lueneburg where
Kappler is hiding.
Bonn government sources confirmed that special security measures
have been taken to protect both Kappler and his wife. Though no rea-
sons were given, Bonn obviously fears the political repercussions of
any attempt to kill or abduct the escapee or his wife (an attempt was

(Continued, on Page 6)

JERUSALEM (JTA)—Sources close to Premier Menahem Begin are delighted with the
tenor of a three-page personal letter to the Premier from President Carter delivered this week
by U.S. Ambassador Samuel Lewis. "A real love letter" was how one top source described the
missive.
The source said the President reiterated in toe firmest and warmest tones his com-
mitment to Israel's security, and his personal manner of address to Begin gratifyingly bore out
Begin's own repeated claim that the two men had established a real rapport.
But official sources were reticent on the political content of the letter. Observers believed
it dealt in part at least with the situation in southern Lebanon which has taken a turn for the
worst in recent days. The fact that Damascus announced Tuesday that President Assad had
also received a letter from Carter—and also declined to disclose its contents—seemed to
confirm the guess that the U.S. President was appealing to both leaders to act with restraint--
and restrain the warring parties, in south -
Lebanon.
Begin last week became the first Israeli
leader to acknowledge publicly that Israel ex-
tends direct military aid to the Lebanese Chris-
tians in their war with the Palestinians and
leftist Moslems. Begin told an Israel Bond
conference that Israeli artillery fires at Moslem
guns when they open up on the beleaguered
Christian villages in the border region. The
Premier said that without Israeli aid the Chris-
tians would have been massacred.
LEWIS
CARTER

New West Bank Settlements Approved

JERUSALEM (JTA)— The Ministerial Settlement Committee decided Wednesday to go
ahead with the establishment of three new settlements in the West Bank. All three, officials
stressed, were approved by the previous government. The committee merely decided to
translate that earlier approval-in-principle into action.
But privately government sources acknowledged that the move would very likely occa-
sion negative reaction from Washington which only recently protested sharply Israel's
decision to formally legalize three West Bank settlements already in existence.
The three new settlements now to be built are Yatir, between Hebron and Beersheba (to
be settled by Gush Emunim), Zur Natan, just across the green line from Petah Tikva (to be
settled by a Hashomer Hatzair,group according to Israel Radio), and Mevo Haran `Gimmel,'
across the green line near Ramie (to be settled by Poalei AgUdat Yisrael, which already has a
number of settlements in that area on both sides of the g reen line).
In Washington, Samuel Lewis, the U.S. Ambassador to Israel, has instructions to
(Continued on Page 5)

`Quota' Statement Asked by Agencies

major American Jewish organizations have called on the Carter Administration to
clearly tell "all those in and out of government" that the implementation of affirmative action programs
does not mean resorting to quotas.
In a letter to Joseph A. Califano, Jr., Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, the agencies referred
to the opposition to quotas which Califano expressed at a June 7 meeting with their representatives,
ling: "Many officials have nut gotten this message in the past, and we have no reason to believe that
*-itnout strong directions from you, they will understand it in the future."
The letter, which also was sent to President Carter, was signed by Rabbi Morris Sherer, Agudath Israel
of America; Seymour Samet, American Jewish Committee; Lois Wadman, American Jewish Congress;
Larry M. Lavinsky, Anti-Defamation League of Bnai Brith; Martin Lapan, Jewish Labor Committee;
Sidney Lindenberg, Jewish War Veterans, and Marjorie M. Cohen, National Council of Jewish Women.
The agencies urged Secretary Califano to proceed with the development
guidelines which state explicitly "what is tolerable and what is specifically forbid-
den" in programs to eliminate discrimination in employment and education.
The copy to the President was sent with a covering letter, also signed by the
agencies' representatives, asking Carter to use his influence and "clarify to the
Federal establishment your mandate for a policy which vigorously pursues the
legitimate aims of affirmative action while eschewing any taint of a quota system."
At their June meeting with Califano, the agencies protested government surveys
which identify individuals by race, ethnic background, and frequently by religion.
"Such surveys," the secretary was told, "constitute invasions of privacy, promulgate
CALIFANO

NEW YORK



Seven

(Continued on Page 13)

PLO 'Retaliation' Injures
Nine on Egged Bus in Afula

TEL AVIV (JTA) — The driver of an Egged bus and eight passen-
gers were injured Tuesday when a bomb exploded in the vehicle mo-
ments after it arrived at the Afula bus station in central Israel. Six of
the eight injured were treated at the local hospital and sent home.
Two women, one 63-years-old, remained in the hospital for additional
treatment.
The bus was traveling from Kiryat Shmona to Tel Aviv and made
a number of stops along the way to pick up passengers, including a
stop in Nazareth where many Jewish and Arab passengers got on. The
next stop was Afula where many of the passengers alighted and others
were lined up waiting to board the bus. The bomb exploded at that
interval.

According to police,,the bomb had been placed in the front section
of the bus. It was composed of explosives fitted into an iron pipe and
had an activating device. Police detained 11 persons for questioning.

The Palestine Liberation Organization claimed responsibility for the
bombing and warned that it marked the start of increased operations
inside Israel. The PLO claimed the incident was in retaliation for the

decision to equalize (improve) services for residents on the West Bank

and the Oaza Strip.

Back to Top

© 2021 Regents of the University of Michigan