100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials may be under copyright. If you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact the Bentley Historical Library at bentley.ref@umich.edu

May 28, 1976 - Image 1

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Detroit Jewish News, 1976-05-28

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

An Historic
Chapter in
Jewish History
and Zionism:
The Saga of
Jan C. Smuts

-Commentary
Page 2

VOL. LXIX, No. 12

THE JEWISH NEWS

A Weekly Review

f Jewish Events

17515 W. Nine Mile, Suite 865, Southfield, Mich. 48075 424 8833

-

$10.00 Per Year ; This Issue 30c

ShOvuot:
Torah Laws
and Ethical
Teachings
Emphasizing
Humanities

Editorial
Page 4

May 28, 1976

Security Council Debating Draft
peploring West Bank Settlement

Rabin Meeting, New Council
Called Arab `Breakthrough'

JERUSALEM (JTA) — Premier Yitzhak Rabin and other top min-
isters Monday pledged efforts at more extensive consultation with Is-
rael's Arab community on government-related issues that affect their
lives.
Rabin met with 10 leading Arab local council chairman in his office
in Jerusalem for almost three hours Monday morning. The chairmen
had asked for the meeting following the surge of unrest among the Arab
community, especially in the Galilee, over government land-appropria-
tion plans.
Rabin was flanked at the meeting by his top adviser on Arab af-
fairs, Shmuel Toledano, and by interior minister Yosef Burg.
The Premier rejected the chairmen's appeal that he revoke the
land-appropriation measures which
sparked the unrest and the March 30 vi-
olent riots In the Galilee. Rabin said
this Cabinet decision would bring de-
velopment to the Galilee that would
benefit both its Jewish and Arab resi-
dents.
Rabin also turned down a request by
the Arab council chairmen for an official
commission of inquiry to investigate the
events of March 30, when six Arabs died
in the riots. The Premier said the police
and the army authorities were conducting
their own thorough investigation of the
various shooting incidents on that day.
Rabin elaborated on the Cabinet's deci-
sion of Sunday to set up three new units
to help improve the atmosphere in the
Arab sector:
• a special ministerial committee un-
der the Premier,
• a committee of ministry directors-
general, under Toledano, to oversee im-
plementation of policies aimed at greater integration,
• and a Jewish-Arab public council which would have a role in super-
vising policy implementation and drafting new ideas for possible
implementation.
Rabin stressed that a very great deal of progress had been made —
(Continued on Page 54)

UNITED NATIONS (JTA) — The Security Council received a majority statement Wednes-
day afternoon deploring the establishment of settlements by Israel in occupied Arab territories
as an "obstacle" to peace "which cannot pre-judge the outcome of negotiations for the establish-
ment of peace." The statement, which expressed "grave anxiety" over the present situation in the
territories and "concern about the fate of the population" there, enjoined Israel "to desist and
rescind" such measures and re-opened the Security Council debate on the issue.
The majority statement was presented to the Security Council by its president, Louis de
Guiringaud, of France, at the final session of the body's current debate. The debate began on May
3 at the urgent request of Egypt to investigate the situation on the West Bank.
Debate was suspended for nearly three weeks while the Arab states sought to agree
among themselves on a resolution condemning Israel's occupation practices. A draft resolu-
tion by Egypt, which gained agreement by the Arab states last week, was subsequently
ruled out by them because of the likelihood of an American veto. Similarly, American objec-
tions eliminated the possibility of a consensus statement which would have required the
unanimous endorsement of all 15 Council members.
The U.S. objected to the majority statement on grounds that it is too harsh. China and Libya
reportedly objected that it was not strong enough. The text says:
"The Fourth Geneva Convention relative to protection of civilians in time of war is applicable"
to the Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967. The Security Council therefore calls upon
the occupying power to comply strictly with the provisions of the convention and to desist and
rescind from any measures that would violate them.
"It accordingly deplores the initiative taken by Israel in occupied Arab territories, which
could alter their demographic composition or geographical nature, and particularly the establish-
ment of settlements. Such initiatives, which cannot pre-judge the outcome of negotiations for the
establishment of peace, constitute an obstacle to this peace effort.
"Lastly, the Security Council expresses grave anxiety over the present situation in occupied
Arab territories and incidents which are still occurring there, it also expresses concern about the
fate of the population of these territories."
An Israeli commission has drawn up a master plan for the occupied Golan Heights
galling for 18 new Israeli settlements with hotels, tourist facilities and industries, official
spokesmen reported Tuesday.
The proposal still faces extensive study and debate. If approved, the plan would bring the
number of Israeli settlements in the Golan to 43, with a total population of 60,000, over the next
20 years.
Government officials stressed that the plan did not mean Israel plans to annex all the terri-
tory seized in the 1967 and 1973 wars.
Meanwhile, The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
(UNESCO) Monday adopted a resolution charging Israel with preventing Arabs in the occupied
territories "from freely exercising their inalienable rights to the education and culture necessary
to the preservation of their national identity." The resolution was adopted by the executive board
by a vote of 26 in favor, one against (the U.S.) and 10 abstentions. Israel is not a member of the
board.

(Continued on Page 56)

Agnew Repeats Self-Serving Attack
on the `Jewish-Controlled' Media

Bomber's Falsified Documents,
Identity Are Checked by Israel

NEW YORK (JTA) — Two American Jewish organizations have responded sharply
'Winegations by former Vice President Spiro T. Agnew that American Jews control the
most important segments of the media and exert undue influence on United States policy,
especially in the -Middle East. Agnew has been making these remarks in appearances on
television talk shows promoting his novel "The Canfield Decision." Similar charges
against American Jews are contained in the book.
In an interview published Sunday in the Washington Star, the former vice president
'tended that half of those in the "ownership and management policy posts" in the
ational impact media" are Jewish.
Agnew conceded to Washington Star staff writer William Delaney that his view
about Jews in the media and his view that Israel "has now embarked on an imperi-
alistic exercise occupying Arab lands" and "bringing about a police state in these
areas" was not recently arrived at.
"When I was in office, it was not obviously to my advantage to say these things" but
"I still took this point of view." Agnew told Delaney that he visited the Middle East
because he felt the U.S. policy was so uneven that he went to Kuwait and Saudi Arabia
but not to Israel.
Elmer L. Winter, president of the American Jewish Committee, charged Tuesday
that Agnew's anti-Semitic statements on television in recent weeks were "untrue, callous
and pernicious" and "totally unworthy of a man who once held the second highest position
in this country."
Addressing himself to Agnew's charge of Jewish influence in America's media, Win-
(Continued on Page 56)

TEL AVIV (JTA) — Mystery surrounds the identity and intent of a 25-year-old man
bearing a Dutch passport in the name of Hugo Mueller who was killed Tuesday along with
an Israeli girl security officer when a valise he was carrying exploded at Ben-Gurion
Airport. Security officials are not sure whether the man deliberately triggered a bomb or
was knowingly or unknowingly smuggling explosives. Dutch authorities said they had no
record of the man's passport, indicating it was a forgery.
The blast took the life of 21-year-old Micki Ben-Ishai of Bnei Brak who was buried
Wednesday with official honors. Avi Ginat, another security officer, underwent eye sur- -
gery and treatment for severe burns. Security man Alias Elias suffered lesser injuries
and is improving.
Three of the seven other persons injured in the explosion were still hospitalized
Wednesday, with minor injuries.
Ms. Ishai became suspicious of a man described by eye-witnesses as about 25
with long blond hair wearing shabby jeans, who had just landed from an Austrian
Airlines flight from Vienna.
The man picked up a red valise from a baggage conveyer belt and was glancing about
nervously when approached by Ms. Ishai. He was invited into a cubicle near the conveyor
belt for a further check of his valise. According to one version of what followed, the
suspect, realizing he was caught, activated explosives in the valise killing himself and the
security girl. According to another version, the man was unaware of the lethal nature of
his baggage and opened it innocently, detonating about two kilograms of plastic
explosives.
(Continued on Page 56)

Back to Top

© 2021 Regents of the University of Michigan