100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials may be under copyright. If you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact the Bentley Historical Library at bentley.ref@umich.edu

July 18, 1975 - Image 1

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Detroit Jewish News, 1975-07-18

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

American Bicentennial
on the 1975-1976 Agenda

The Map
as a Plea for
Israel's Security
and as a
Refutation of
Deplorable Bias

will publish a series of articles defining American Jewry's historic role.

One of the articles in the series appears on Page 48 in this issue.

Diplomatic
Duelling
and Realism

THE JEWISH NEWS

A Weekly Review

Commentary
Page 2

VOL. LXVII, No. 19

To mark the Bicentennial of the American Revolution, The Jewish News

Concern for_
Welfare of Aged

f Jewish Events

17515 W. Nine Mile, Suite 865, Southfield, Mich. 48075 424-8833

Editorials
Page 4

10.00 Per Year ; This Issue 30c

July 18, 1975

Rabin Demands That Egypt
Respect the UNEF's Role

Slated Victims
on Terror List

PARIS (JTA) — Israeli Ambassador
Asher Ben-Natan and a number of Jewish
entertainers such as singers Enrico Macciaz
and Rika Zarai were on the list of potential
victims found in the documents of Lebanese
terrorist killed last month in Paris. The ter-
rorist, Michel Moukbaral, was shot dead
together with two French police officers by
the mysterious "Carlos" now sought by pol-
ice forces in half a dozen countries.
A French Interior Ministry commu-
nique released Monday confirmed that the
documents shoWed Carlos has "minutely
detailed plans" for these attacks. The com-
munique said these included "accurate de-
scriptions of the protection around the Is-
raeli Embassy in Paris, identification of its
vehicles, the emplacement of its guards in.
front of the Embassy and the movements of
the Ambassador himself." The communique
also confirmed that "other lists included per-
sonalities in the press, theater, banking and
sports."
It was learned that.the lists included for-
mer Minister Jacques Soustelle, known for
his pro-Israeli views, and the editorial offi=
cers•of the right-wing publications "Minute"
and "L'Aurore."
Carlos, whom the Ministry of Interior
identified as Venuzuelan-born Ramierez
Sanchez, is described in the communique
as the man who headed the terrorist ring
(Continued on Page 5)

JERUSALEM (JTA) "If Egypt is interested in not prejudicing the disengagement agreement, it must respect the
existence and authority of the UNEF (UN Emergency Force in Sinai), which is an integral part of the disengagement
agreement," Premier Yitzhak Rabin declared Wednesday.
In a Knesset statement, which most observers felt was a studiedly moderate reaction to Egypt's announced refusal to
renew the UNEF mandate expiring next Thursday. Rabin urged that "anyone desiring the continuation of the negotia-
tions in an appropriate atmosphere should refrain from acts which raise tensions in the area. Israel has acted in this
manner, and will continue to act accordingly."
Observers here did not believe Egyptian Foreign Minister Ismail Fahmy's statement meant the beginning of the end
for UNEF. The Egyptian minister, they pointed out, had been careful to distinguish between the mandate — which he
said Egypt did not want at this stage — and the existence of the force itself — which he appeared not to challenge.
Israeli observers believe Fahmy's intention was to lend a measure of urgency towards the current disengage-
ment negotiations and to invest the Thursday date and the upcoming UN General Assembly and the conferences
that will precede it with a threatening and omnious character which, he hopes, will prompt Israel to act faster in
wrapping up the settlement.
At the same time, the observers
pointed out, Egypt has been noticeably
inactive §-o far in the Arab initiative
UNITED NATIONS (JTA) — UN Secretary General Kurt Waldheim
aimed at having Israel suspended from
said Wednesday that the situation in the Middle East "continues to be dan-
the UN.
gerous" especially in view of the Egyptian announcement that she will not
Observers felt the Israeli govern-
consent to the extension of the United Nations Emergency Force. Wal-
ment was hoping for a clearer and less
dheim said that his understanding of the new situation is that Egypt feels
that UNEF's presence in the Sinai is not justified if there is no progress in - vehement Egyptian statement which
would in effect announce that UNEF
negotiations between Israel and Egypt.
would be enabled to continue its role be-
In a letter to Waldheim Tuesday night, Egyptian Foreign Minister Is-
yond next Thursday — at least for as
mail Fahmy declared that Egypt will consent to UNEF's continued opera-
long as the negotiations continue.
tion after Thursday only if UNEF is properly used. Egypt, Waldheim ex-
The successful conclusion of the
plained, feels.that the force should not be used to perpetuate the occupation
negotiations would presumably lead to a
of Arab territory.
year-long extension for UNEF, followed
Waldheim said that on the basis of the letter and his talks with Ahmed
by
subsequent extension for the dura-
Esmal Meguid, Cairo's chief representative at the UN, that he did not con-
tion of the agreement. _
.
sider the current situation as comparable with that of 1967, when Egypt
ordered the UN troops to leave
The Premier told the Knesset that-

Decision Endangers Mideast

(Continued on Page 5)

(Continued on Page 12)

Henry Ford Reaffirms Auto Firm Will Not Withdraw
From Its Established Israel Business Arrangements

Henry Ford II, chairman of the board of the Ford Motor Co., in a
statement to the editor of The Jewish News this week, reaffirmed
that his company has "no intention of withdrawing from its present
business arrangements in Israel."
Commenting on a rumor of a possible interruption in such ar-
rangements as a result of the expanded Arab boycott of Israel, Ford
stated in his personal letter to the editor of The Jewish News:
To be very explicit, Ford Motor Co. has no intention of with-
drawing from its present business arrangements in Israel. We
have consistently emphasized that fact to anyone who has ques-
tioned us about it. As long ago as May 8, in answer to a question
at the annual meeting of Ford stockholders, I said "We are going
to continue to do business in Israel as we have done business in
Israel, and if we can do business in an Arab country, all the bet-
ter. So we can do business on both sides."
What I suggested is that there is nothing inconsistent about

our efforts to reestablish normal trade relations with Arab coun-
tries also. We have had an assembly plant in Alexandria since
1950. As a result of the Arab boycott, the plant is presently lim-
ited to repair work, but the Company has maintained it in good
condition and has retained its Egyptian staff.
Referring to his discussions of the Ford Motor Co. position in Is-
rael with The Jewish News editor on two occasions, in 1970 and 1972,
Ford concluded his statement:
I assume that no one would seriously wish us, in a kind of rev-
erse-boycott fashion, to abstain from doing business in Arab
countries simply because of our dealings with Israel. We want to
do business wherever there are markets to be served by our prod-
ucts, as our enduring commercial activities in Israel attest.
I recall very well our long discussions and your stories result-
ing from those discussions. Let me assure you that our thinking' -
here has not changed since that time.

HENRY FORD II

Back to Top

© 2021 Regents of the University of Michigan