100%

Scanned image of the page. Keyboard directions: use + to zoom in, - to zoom out, arrow keys to pan inside the viewer.

Page Options

Share

Something wrong?

Something wrong with this page? Report problem.

Rights / Permissions

The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials may be under copyright. If you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact the Bentley Historical Library at bentley.ref@umich.edu

September 27, 1963 - Image 1

Resource type:
Text
Publication:
The Detroit Jewish News, 1963-09-27

Disclaimer: Computer generated plain text may have errors. Read more about this.

Atonement:

By and

For AN

Mankind
Editorial
Page 4

Inrirumn
rizin
THE JEWISH NE

DETROIT

A Weekly Review

Youth Leader
in South
African
Struggle

Negativism
in Viewing
Jewish Future

MI CH IGAN

of Jewish Events

Commentary

Michigan's Only English-Jewish Newspaper—Incorporating The Detroit Jewish Chronicle

1:iti ft:iUnSt o 13

Vol. XLIV, No. 5

1 001:

Page 2

171 00 W. 7 Mile Rd. — VE 8-9364 -- Detroit 35, Sept. 27, 1963 — $6.00 Per Year; This Issue 30c

Issues Affecting USSR Jewry,
Israel Face 18th UN Assembly

History of Hannah Schloss Bldg.
Recalled 60 Yrs. After Opening

By IRVING I. KATZ
-
-Executive Secretary, Temple Beth El

This month marks the 60th anniversary of the dedication of Detroit's
first Jewish community service building—the Hannah Schloss Memorial
Building at 239-241 East High Street (now East Vernor Highway),
between Hastings and St. Antoine, in the heart of the then Jewish dis-
trict, as the headquarters of the United Jewish Charities (UJC)..
_ • Detroit's population in 1903 was approximately 300,000, which
included some 6,000 Jews (1,200 families), most of whom were recent
immigrants from Eastern Europe.
When the United Jewish Charities came into existence in 1899 it
was housed in a ramshackled honSe at the southwest corner of Brush
and Montcalm Streets. With the expansion of the UJC, it became neces-
.sary to find a home for its activities. The real estate committee, headed
by the late Justice Henry M. Butzel, purchased land, at a cost of $2,000,
_at 239-241 East High Street, for such a home.
At a meeting of the executive board of the UJC on January 6,1903,

.

_it was announced that Seligman Schloss offered a contribution of $5,800

-to. the building fund, then the largest gift in the history of Detroit's
Jewish community, in memory of his wife Hannah, on condition that the
balance of $5,200 needed to construct the building would be raised by
the Jewish, community. It Was also announced that Bernard Ginsburg
.offered to furnish and maintain in the new building a Day Nursery as
a memorial to his wife, Ida. Hr. Schloss' offer was accepted and a cam-
paign was initiated for the building fund. The sum of $5,430 was raised
from 82 subscribers.
On April 21, '1903, the corner stone laying ceremony for the new

-.

building took place, and the participants were Rabbi Judah L. Levin,
David W. Simons, president, UJC; Henry M. Butzel, chairman, building
committee; Rabbi Leo M. Franklin, Seligman Schloss.
-
The following was deposited in a copper box in the corner stone:
Copies of the daily press, copies of the- Jewish American (Detroit's first
English-Jewish weekly, published- from 1900 to 1911), reports of the
United Jewish Charities, a history of Jewish - charities in Detroit, a list
of contributors to the building fund, photographs of Hannah Schloss and
Ida Ginsburg.
Albert Kahn offered his services gratuitously as the architect of the
two-story and basement, pressed red brick building. The plans included
klassrooms, quarters for the Hebrew Ladies' Sewing Society, kitchen gar-
den, model bedroom, model kitchen: kindergarten, plain and shower
baths, manual training department, day 'nursery, large lecture hall, and
office. The building committee consisted of Henry M. Butzel, Mrs. Sarah
Berger,- Rabbi Franklin, Bernard' Ginsburg, Albert Kahn, Mrs. Sarah
Ewell Krolik, Seligman Schloss, David W. Simmons, and Mrs. Leopold
Wineman.
The officers- of the -UJC in 1903 were David W. Simons, president;
-Bernard Ginsburg, Henry M. Butzel, vice-presidents; Abraham Benjamin,
secretary; Emanuel H. Van Baalen, treasurer; trustees, Mrs. Sarah Ber-
ger, Louis Blitz,'Michael• Davis, Dr. Karl M. Fechheimer, Rabbi and Mrs.
Leo M. Franklin, Mrs. 'Rudolph Freidenberg, Samuel Ginsburg, Miss
Regina Heller, Samuel Heavenrich, Dr. Louis J. Hirschman, Mrs. Bella
011esheimer, Charles Redelsheimer, Louis J. Rosenberg, Mrs. Joseph
Rosenzweig, William Saulson, David Scheyer, Mrs. Adolph Schlesinger,
Mrs. Zachariah Selling, Mr. and Mrs. Adolph Sloman, Louis Vineberg,
Joseph H. Wertheimer, Mrs. Leopold Wineman.
Miss Blanche Hart -served as superintendent of the UJC, a position

-

-

-

By MILTON FRIEDMAN

JTA Jewish News Washington Correspondent

-

WASHINGTON, (JTA)---The State Department indicated that the
situation of the Jews in the Soviet Union was a subject of "continuing
concern" to the United States Governinent and that the United States would
work through the United Nations to improve conditions of Soviet Jewry.
Assistant Secretary of State Frederick G. Dutton, in a communica-
tion reporting extensively on the situation of the Jews in the USSR, said
that all observers agreed that Soviet Jews were being placed under increas-
ing restrictions with regard to religious worship. At the same time, he
pointed out that the State Department "has no information that Soviet
Jews fear the magnitude of physical persecution against them such as
occurred during the Czarist regime or during the immediate post-war period
under Stalin."
The communication, addressed to Rep. Seymour Halpern, N.Y.
Republican, made it clear that the State Department feels that anti-Semitic
prejudices in the Soviet Union still persist. Dutton noted reports that the
Moscow Jewish community will - no longer have special burial facilities in
consecrated ground, that the last- kosher meat establishment in Moscow
has been closed, and that three JeWS were sentenced for alleged speculation
in matzohs.

The State Departiiiehroffkial Said that there was "a marked decline
over the past few months in the number of publicized trials involving
defendants of Jewish background," and added that "the Department of
State has noted that the attendant publicity less frequently has suggested
an anti-Semitic bias."

Dutton felt the "long term anti-religious campaign" in the Soviet
Union has grown in intensity over the past several years and that "all
religions, including the Jewish religion, are being subjected to increasing
restrictions, forms of interference, and negative social pressures." He said
that "in the case of the Jews these pressures prevent the normal mainte-
nance and development of Jewish religious and cultural life."
Emphasizing that the State Department viewed with "concern" the
situation of the. Jews in the Soviet Union, Dutton said that it preferred to
intervene for them through the United Nations, because it believes that
direct U.S. representations to the Soviet government "would not be in the
interests of Soviet Jews; these representations could in fact - antagonize
the Soviet government to the detriment of Soviet Jews."
Tracing past events, Dutton said there was "no doubt that Soviet
press reports and commentary concerning some of the economic trials have

Continued on Page 6

Yom Kippur and Mussar Teaching

By ARYEH OSCHRY
Two Yom Kippur stories have gained wide popularity in the Jewish world. The
first concerns the rabbi who kept - the whale congregation waiting on Kol Nidre night
while he took care of a weeping child .
until the mother could be' summoned from the
synagogue; the second concerns the Cholera - epidemic in Vilna, when a prominent
Rabbi, though occupying no official Position in the community, forbade the Jews to
endanger their health .by .not eating on Yom Kippur, and to overcome their reluctance
to go home and break their
fast, he himself took out food
and ate in full view of the
congregation.

-

Continued on Page 32

...........

••••

,



.. .

"



.

The Hannah Schloss Institute—Home of United Jewish
Charities and Affiliated Detroit Jewish Institutions.

The hero of both 'stories
was Rabbi Israel Sala nt
(1810-1882). An outstanding
scholar, his actions, as illus-
trated by the two foregoing
episodes, were by no means
an impulsive outflow of sud-
den emotions, but the rea-
soned decisions of• a re-
nowned halachic authority
and a completely disciplined
personality.
When the cholera epidemic
broke out, he rented - a hos-
pital of 1,500 beds, set np the
financial apparatus to secure
the necessary funds, organized
agroup of 60-70 yeshiva stu-
dents to nurse the patients,
and obtained free medical

Continued on Page 3

Yom Kippflr in a Polish Synagogue. Oil
painting by Isidor Kaufman (1853-1921)

Back to Top

© 2020 Regents of the University of Michigan